Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Augmented Skewb
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:27 pm 

Well we have:

(1) Real + Imaginary = Complex

This has lead us to the Complex 3x3x3 which contains all the real and all the imaginary pieces of a 3x3x3 from an analysis of twistability stand point. This goes back to Dec 2009.

(2) Real + Virtual = Augmented (as mentioned here back in Aug 2010.)

The two simplest to understand virtual pieces are the 2 cores inside a Skewb. They are talked about in detail here. And I've since been trying to think of a way to put both of them into the same physical puzzle. My first shot was shown here and involved 3 seperate puzzles with one acting as a controller wirelessly connected to motors in the other two. Not a very practical solution. However when I analyzed the Crazy Tetrahedron and saw it was just one piece short of being a true Augmented Skewb I finally saw a way to stick the second virtual core into this same tetrahedtron. Here is what it would look like.

In this picture the triangular face centers are Core=0 and the corner tips are Core=4.

If you hold the puzzle by the corner tips you get this picture.
In this picture the triangular face centers are Core=4 and the corner tips are Core=0.

I have a Crazy Tetrahedron Standard on order and I'm very curious to see the insides. You should be able to make this Augmented Skewb by just printing new corners for that puzzle plus the two pair of connected corner tips. Ideally the bridges which bandage the corner tips together could be done internally to the tetrahedron and these bridges could be dropped... however I'm not sure that will be possible. If possible I suspect it will need to involve gears or some other rather complex system.

Any tips on how to model just the corner of the Crazy Tetrahedron in Solidworks such that it will fit in the existing mass produced puzzle? Or should the whole puzzle be printed for this to work at its best?

Carl

Post subject: Re: The Augmented Skewb
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:48 am 

wow i like this puzzle,it's brilliant

Post subject: Re: The Augmented Skewb
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:31 am 

Very clever Carl.
I am pleased to say that this puzzle is no classification challenge. But you already guessed that.

No answers for solidworks and mechanics.