Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I have to brag, or something.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:51 pm 

I followed Ton's directions for making a 2x2x3 (with a few slight changes) and it works. Works surprisingly well for something that uses epoxy as a main structural component. I couldn't get polyester resin to stick for some reason, so I used the epoxy instead. A lot of it. This is a heavy puzzle for its size.

I devised a solution when I was only able to play with a simulated puzzle. My sequences for moving the corners around are derived from the solution to the Square-1. In fact, this puzzle is very similar to this Anthony Greenhill puzzle:

Aside from the fact that the center layer of the 2x2x3 has more available moves, these puzzles are practically the same.

I can post pictures of it if you like.

Post subject: Re: I have to brag, or something.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:39 am 

Please post the picture.

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:59 am 

I've thought about making a 2x3x3 from a 4x4x4. It would be much larger, but I think it would be easier to build. I would use other 4x4x4 parts and extend two opposite sides of the cube. Then just join the cubes to make the larger squares. sorry, if i can't explain this well. Has anyone thought of this or maybe tried it out?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:59 pm 

Definitely not an extended 2x2x2.

It's easier to twist it this way than the previous picture, but it's getting better as I use the puzzle more.

Scrambled.

I really need to clean my desk.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:59 pm 

My desk is similarly cluttered with the pieces of half a dozen projects laying strewn about. I should take a picture and show people the mess. Nah.

Epoxy is actually a good structural component as long as it's not in a position of a lot of twisting. But a thick layer of the stuff is quite durable, just somewhat brittle. I use it quite a bit to cement pieces together once the two pieces have been positioned.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:08 pm 

I have extended a 4x4x4 to build a 2x2x6. With the same effort making a 2x2x3 out of a 4x4x4 you could build a 2x2x6. But such a cube it is very large for a 2x2x3 and the 2x2x3 out of a Rubik's keychain is very stable.

Ton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:41 am 

Now I can brag yet again. I've built a Domino using a keychain cube as a core and normal cube parts on the outside, much like the 2x3x3 previously shown. I briefly considered using Ton's method of making a split-spider mechanism, but it looked too complicated.

Image Image Image
Solved.

The pieces of the Domino. The whitish color is epoxy. One of the edges is permanently attached to the core, along with the two center pieces.

Image Image
Partially assembled.

Checkerboard pattern.

Scrambled.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:41 am 

Thanks for the picture,good work

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:40 am 

I've been getting some questions via email as to how I actually built this thing, so here goes.

This diagram is taken from the "Tony Fisher's 3x3x3 cuboid transformations" article. If you're using a keychain cube as a core like me, you need to trim it down like this. Four edges get trimmed down, and two notches are cut into each corner. These create grooves for the full size cube pieces to slide through.

Image Image
Two views of the corner pieces, showing how the oddly shaped keychain corner is merged with a full size one.

One of the edge pieces. It's important to have those semicircular cuts in the full size edge piece so that pieces can rotate.

One edge and one corner. The keychain corner actually reaches partway into the "space" of the edge piece. The notches in the keychain corner and the round cuts in the edge allow them to slide past each other without binding.

If I hadn't trimmed down the four edges in the middle, pieces would get caught on them when I turned the puzzle like this.

Hope this is helpful to anyone who's curious. Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:45 am 

I've been looking for a reliable supply of the older, more solid keychain 3x3x3's without much luck. Out of the 15 or so keychain 3x3x3's that I've had a chance to take apart only 1 was an older solid one. The rest are the more hollow types wholly unsuitable for use as a 3x3x2 core. Unfortunately I didn't have much foresight and turned the solid one into a Slim Tower. Curses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:58 am 

I actually used a hollow keychain cube to make this one. I filled in the hollow sections with epoxy before chopping them down. The puzzle has been fairly sturdy since then. Basically, I made a solid cube out of mine.

Also, I highly recommend plastic repair epoxy for gluing the edge and center together. It takes a long time to set, but it's the strongest glue I've been able to find. I picked up a bottle of it at the hardware store and it cost about $5.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:26 am 

I shoudl be more explicit. The keychain you are using is considered a "solid" type. In the edge pieces there are just tiny little holes. On the corner there is one cylindrical hold through it. On the "hollow" keychains all the walls of the puzzle are molded thin, like a scale down version of a full sized 3x3x3. Consequently if you cut down the puzzle it tends to get fragile and is completely unsuitable for Domino type puzzle duties. Sure you could reinforce it with something, but the "solid" keychain requires almost no reinforcing. Even the corner cubies probably didn't need to be filled with a drop of epoxy as they are pretty strong on their own (I have four such corner cubies cut down for domino duty, I just don't have the 8 needed).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:22 am 
Hi Jin,
I think you could get a "solid" type in Walgreen. It comes with a full size cube as a bonus. I also have some in hand. I'll send you one if you wanted to.
Sinty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:05 am 

Another note on filling in a puzzle - seems like the plastic repair epoxy might work rather well for that. The stuff is rather runny when you first mix it up, so it's easy to pour it into small spots.

Still more complicated than using a decently strong puzzle at the beginning, but it could work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:13 pm 

I can brag yet again. I've constructed a 2x2x6.

The solved puzzle.

All six layers twist.

Scrambled.

Scrambled some more. The 4x4x4 can be twisted like a 2x2x2 and the modifications made to produce this puzzle don't disable those moves. As a result the puzzle can change shape. You can't solve the layers until you return it to a rectangular prism shape.