Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Suggestions for a first mod?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:23 am 

I would like to get into modding. What is an easy puzzle to make that well give me practice in the basics?(cutting, sanding, filling, etc.)

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for a first mod?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:28 am 

Dino cube all the way! Then start to "Fisher" cubes when you gather some experience. BE CAREFUL WITH THE BLADE!

There are some wonderful tutorials here so use the handy search button up top (you may take some heat for posting threads that have already been discussed before) :wink: .

Start here:

Then check out my "Fisher" mental block (Tony Fisher invention). I would be glad to answer questions for you.

Chris

Last edited by mizzle576 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:36 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:30 am 

In the future, please try to use the search function at the top of the page to see if there are any topics already like this, because it wastes time. No worries though, welcome and I hope you enjoy the forum :D

Half truncated cube
Octagon barrel cube
Fisher cube
Hexagonal dipyramid

Those are the 4 basic 3x3x3 mods. Tutorials can be found on YouTube and by Google searching, and a forum search too.

Have fun!

Adam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:12 am 

The Search function is your friend. But there is a problem... It doesn't work with three letter words; looks like the minimum characters indexed was set to 4, which is done probably to keep the database manageable. So, a search for first mod will yield no results (even though these words appear in several topics). Actually, maybe the database has been optimized because I get no results searching for the fairly common word first by itself. Whatever the case, there is an alternative...

When I need to search three letter words, I use Google Advance Search and it always gives me the results I need. For instance, searching for the exact phrase first mod within twistypuzzles.com like this, yields several topics with people showing their first mod, but also, just on the first page of results (at number 8), we find a 2-month-old topic asking for an easy mod suggestion: http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19512

Skarabajo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:53 pm 

oh my mistake! I apologize I still do not know the forum policies :oops:
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'l try the dino cube. I didn't realize making them was so simple.