Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:23 am
Location: UK
IN the pics the pieces are round on the inside so did you use a metal ball and put magnets on the pieces and place them on?? :?: ? :scrambled: :arrow: :solved: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
Wow wow wow!
I really don't think you people have understood what I've said.

Instead of re-explaining everything I said, I would like you to explain how the idea of me having a huge ego and that I already congradulated myself started.

As for the puzzle, I put it in new puzzles because it is a finished mechanism and a new puzzle. The reason I only showed one photo was because until spraying it with CRC Silicone (thanks Garrett) it couldn't even turn. However after bolting in the last piece, I couldn't resist posting it.

As for 48 cube mechs, I have allready talked to Garrett and his should work fine. Other mechs also could work fine if not better then mine. However if this puzzle was so easy or simple to make, why would I be the first to make it? :lol:

@Katten
Thank you :D

@CuberCraze
Thank you for staying on topic :lol:
I did not use any magnets in the puzzle but that probably would have been an easier solution :lol:

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:38 pm
Location: Hungary, Budapest
If I see it well, if you make it spherical it will look like this:
http://users.skynet.be/gelatinbrain/App ... ere_f0.htm

With one of my friend, we try to develope a good working mechanism for this from years...

_________________
Olivér Nagy

rubikkocka@gmail.com & info@oliverstickers.com
http://oliverstickers.com/

Facebook


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
For some reason I can't see it but I think you are correct :D
How did yours turn out or what dead end did you hit?

@Drewseph It is fully printed in wsf from Shapeways. The only parts that need to be sanded are a couple edges on the internal pieces to stop it from locking up. I might switch mechs instead of spending hours trying to perfect this one :lol: If I do decide to use my Sphere mech instead of my Sand mech, the video will be up in two weeks. (I know you have no idea what I'm talking about but soon it will make sense, I promise :lol: )

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:38 pm
Location: Hungary, Budapest
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
For some reason I can't see it but I think you are correct :D
How did yours turn out or what dead end did you hit?

We have tried similar mechanism as 4x4x4 cube has, just with more grooves.
The plan was OK, but some pieces has so small necks. It always brake (like the Rubik's 4x4x4 middle piece.
So we gave up.

_________________
Olivér Nagy

rubikkocka@gmail.com & info@oliverstickers.com
http://oliverstickers.com/

Facebook


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:38 pm
Location: Hungary, Budapest
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
For some reason I can't see it but I think you are correct :D


Here is a picture from the virtual puzzle:
Image

_________________
Olivér Nagy

rubikkocka@gmail.com & info@oliverstickers.com
http://oliverstickers.com/

Facebook


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
Olivér Nagy wrote:
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
For some reason I can't see it but I think you are correct :D
How did yours turn out or what dead end did you hit?

We have tried similar mechanism as 4x4x4 cube has, just with more grooves.
The plan was OK, but some pieces has so small necks. It always brake (like the Rubik's 4x4x4 middle piece.
So we gave up.

Did you try to make it fully functional? The problem I had when I tried that design was the core had pieces not attatched so the pegs would just fall out. You could make yours 50 cm by 50 cm by 50 cm :lol: I'm sure that would make the necks thick enough :D

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Montana
Katten wrote:
I would really be surprised if it was, and also extremely annoyed that you went through all this trouble and got all this attention just to trick everyone. I, naive as I may be, refuse to believe that anyone worthy of being a member on this forum would do something like that.

What about Tony Fisher's 9x9x9? Or RubixFreakGreg's Mini 1x2x8? I remember a fake Master Helicopter as an April Fool's joke but I can't find that thread.

_________________
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Things like this are illegal.
If not I will pass an appropriate law.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
I will release everything about this mech, eventually :lol: Atleast with me, I would like to have a chance to discover the limits before puzzles start using my mech and stealing the spotlight. What I mean is, I don't want to spend 4 years designing a new mech and then have other people use it to make new puzzles before I can finish them myself.


THANKS!!! I can be patient and I'm glad you are willing to share. The other mech I'd like to see someday is the 7x7x7 with same size cubies. I'm guessing magnets but I'd love to know for sure. If that secret is out and I missed it please point me in the right direction.

Regarding the ego and attitude stuff I think everyone is reading too much between the lines. Different people talk different ways and the written word doesn't convey emotion very well so we all use our own internal bias and try to fill in the gaps. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they have proven they don't deserve it. This puzzle is a big accomplishment and PuzzleMaster6262 has a right to be proud. We should be happy he's willing to share and be patient. If I had put 4 years into a project like this I'd be temped to show pics before it was 100% finished too and I might also come across as a bit over the top. I can also easily understand how PuzzleMaster6262 may assume his solutions to the road block's he's hit are the only solutions. And it sounds like he's now agreeing he was wrong. I don't smell anything foul.

Just my 2 cents,
Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
After briefly examining the link (thanks Oliver!), there is at least one "easy" way
(as long as there is the required precision that is!) to make such a sphere.

Imagine that on each intersection we had one regular 48-polygon peg.
And also, imagine that the cuts acted like a railway for those pegs.
Then, the 48-angle symmetry will surely take care of any angle created
on those 48-cube intersections while moving the pegs along the cuts.
By that I mean without involuntarily orienting any of the pegs. I said
this is an "easy" design if and only if we can achieve such super precision.
The pegs should always move as a group along the cuts, and can we can
continue moving them on a new cut, *only* after all 26 pegs are placed
on the corresponding 26 intersections.

So we will need a total of 26 pegs, each of which will have 24 "rail" diameters (or 48 radii):

Attachment:
48_cube_sliding_peg.jpg
48_cube_sliding_peg.jpg [ 57.86 KiB | Viewed 4120 times ]


All in all, the structure will look like a more complex Otto-Wu/Massage Ball.
Of course, adding parts on the surface will certainly allow us to achieve
more shapes, such as the cube, octahedron, etc etc etc.

Just a simple thought.

8-)


Pantazis

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Montana
wwwmwww wrote:
The other mech I'd like to see someday is the 7x7x7 with same size cubies. I'm guessing magnets but I'd love to know for sure. If that secret is out and I missed it please point me in the right direction.

Wouldn't this work if the corner stalks held the corner in by a thread? A thread is thin and flexible enough to hold the corner in during turns.

_________________
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Things like this are illegal.
If not I will pass an appropriate law.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
I do not fully understand your mechanism concept but would it allow the puzzle to jumble at 45, 90, and about 70 degrees?

@Rentlix
I know of a way it could be made but after rotating, my mechanism would be 100 % visible. I have no idea how that puzzle could work :lol:

With my puzzle something I thought I should better explain is every cut that lines up can be rotated, even if the pieces have jumbled into a srange position. The video demonstrating it will be uploaded soon. :D

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
I have uploaded a video showing a bit of the fully functional properties. A link has been added at the top of the first post. The bad turning is a result of the internal pieces locking up. The friction is way less then I was expecting. At the end of the video, a piece has moved out of place and could not be fixed just with turning. After releasing the mechs, I will upload an extended video showing it pop in half afterwards when I tried to force it in place :lol:

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
I do not fully understand your mechanism concept but would it allow the puzzle to jumble at 45, 90, and about 70 degrees?


The smallest angle that you get on this sphere after a turn is 360/48=7.5.
All the rest of the angles are multiples of this (depending on the case).
And while 45 degrees and 90 degrees are there, 70 degrees is not included.

For cubic shapes, or other polyhedra shapes, you are certainly destined
to receive some irrational angles (though this part needs some sort of proof).

And which part is not explained very well? Please let me know and I will expand.
(If it helps, it is based on merging angles created by squares, hexagons and octagons,
and the precision I mentioned should not allow any free turning, because then
it will defeat the purpose of the "48-cube").

:)


Pantazis

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
The part I don't understand about your design(unless I am 100% wrong) is how the pieces not next to a cut could rotate. Wouldn't they over complicate your mech? I am probably looking at this the wrong way, but wouldn't this puzzle with your idea need to be huge to keep pieces from being too small?

I really am sorry if I am missing the point or something with your idea.

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:14 pm
Location: Orange County, CA
Well...I can see now why you were hesitant to post a video. It looks functional, yes, but barely!

How much did you fillet the inner mechanism?

_________________
-Garrett


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
The part I don't understand about your design(unless I am 100% wrong) is how the pieces not next to a cut could rotate. Wouldn't they over complicate your mech? I am probably looking at this the wrong way, but wouldn't this puzzle with your idea need to be huge to keep pieces from being too small?

I really am sorry if I am missing the point or something with your idea.


Basically, there is no mechanism, just rails. So it cannot be regarded complicated,
but you would certainly need precision. Having huge pieces is not necessary,
but it can help. And no piece is rotating by itself. It is just that their orientation
changes after they follow a different cut from the one they were before.

The way it will behave to dead ends, is exactly the same a normal 48-sphere will behave.

:)


Panatzis

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
0% :oops:

If the internal pieces had fillets they would make it lock up less but pop more. I am replacing many of the small (and cheap :D ) internal pieces with a new mechanism that will fix many of the issues and decrease the amount of pieces.

You should watch kastellorizo's videos of his 24 cube. Considering the many additional challenges with this puzzle, the turning isn't that bad :lol:

@kastellorizo
So the same mech as the center pieces of a Rubik's 4x4x4?

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:14 pm
Location: Orange County, CA
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
0% :oops:

If the internal pieces had fillets they would make it lock up less but pop more. I am replacing many of the small (and cheap :D ) internal pieces with a new mechanism that will fix many of the issues and decrease the amount of pieces.

You should watch kastellorizo's videos of his 24 cube. Considering the many additional challenges with this puzzle, the turning isn't that bad :lol:


Well, there's the problem! Fillets are essential in a puzzle of this complexity. I haven't seen your mechanism, but I can pretty much guarantee that the lack of fillets are causing 90% of the problems you are having.

Also, I have turned Pantazis 24 Cube in person, and it isn't that bad.

_________________
-Garrett


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
You should watch kastellorizo's videos of his 24 cube. Considering the many additional challenges with this puzzle, the turning isn't that bad :lol:


Well, my video is the worst demo of all. Matt (who made it) and Taylor have much better videos! :lol:


PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
@kastellorizo
So the same mech as the center pieces of a Rubik's 4x4x4?


No no. I just see the entire puzzle from a different point of view. Only the pegs on a (well defined) cut
move. The halves of the puzzle remain intact. However, if we assume the half part of real 48 cube corresponds
only to the respective middle pegs on the rail-sphere I described, you can get some interesting mathematical
connection to it.

It is similar to the correspondence of an Equator to the Rubik's cube, but not quite the same, because a 3x3x3
can have independent generators without affecting more than half of the puzzle. Here, every time, half
of the puzzle turns and there is always a direct relation between all the pieces.

To put it in another way, you do not have to look at each halves any more to see which is part is scrambled.
You only look at the pegs and their orientation (which is why I said their orientation it critical, and no self-turns
is allowed).

:)


Pantazis

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Montana
It reminds me of the first time I ever tried modding, and the only time I had success with modding.

Compared to the Creature, this turns pretty decently. I'd imagine that with 400 pieces there are certainly some flaws. If you touch up the design a V2 might turn a withstandable quality.

_________________
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Things like this are illegal.
If not I will pass an appropriate law.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Pittsburgh
I rate the movement a bit below the original pentultimate. So you've basically come up with a mech that moves worse than the knucklehead mech at the moment.

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
theVDude wrote:
I rate the movement a bit below the original pentultimate. So you've basically come up with a mech that moves worse than the knucklehead mech at the moment.

But if this puzzle was built with the knucklehead mech, it would need 48 layers! So I would rate my mech better then the knucklehead mech but worse than the first pentultimate.

This is why I didn't want to post a video so soon :lol: In a couple weeks it should rotate better than you would expect :D

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Pittsburgh
It's quite a feat, even though it's not stable. But you haven't -REALLY- made the puzzle until it can finish a 90 degree turn or two without having stuff pop out.

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:15 pm
Location: Sandnes, Norway
I'm glad you decided to add the video! Was this taken before or after you put in the lube?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
Katten wrote:
I'm glad you decided to add the video! Was this taken before or after you put in the lube?

It was taken half an hour before I uploaded the video :lol:

I will go through and sand all the edges of the pieces, relube it, and upload a video while I wait for a new mech to arrive from Shapeways. Even though I have no plans of selling it, I will continue spending hours and hours of work to make this puzzle the best quality it can be.

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:57 pm
I still don't see how this puzzle is fully functional when you cannot make a single complete turn. What is the reason for only turning it a few degrees, claiming it works (visually) and turning it back?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:45 pm
Drewseph wrote:
I still don't see how this puzzle is fully functional when you cannot make a single complete turn. What is the reason for only turning it a few degrees, claiming it works (visually) and turning it back?

I suspect it is because such a video demonstrating all its cuts would take about an hour.

_________________
Inactive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:57 pm
from the look of it it is indeed fully functional. but that was hardly a demonstration of movement, all he needed to do was complete a single chop turn, and a 2x2 turn, he did neither

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
Drewseph wrote:
from the look of it it is indeed fully functional. but that was hardly a demonstration of movement, all he needed to do was complete a single chop turn, and a 2x2 turn, he did neither

That would not be fully functional. I first show a 24 cube rotation. Yes it is a small rotation but it shows that axes can rotate. I then rotate a 2x2x2 45 degrees to demonstrate jumbling moves that would be impossible if this puzzle was a normal 2x2x2 and 24 cube mixed together. Note how after rotating 45 degrees, both 2x2x2 and 24 cube cuts on the side towards the camera can rotate.

If you want to just see a little chop turn of 180 degrees and a 2x2x2 turn, I can upload a new video. However, I could wait until the pieces are sanded and then upload a video of it being scrambled. (it takes a while to assemble and the only way to correct the internal pieces positions as of now is to take it apart)

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:46 pm
Location: P.R.China
PuzzleMaster6262,

I've got one question to ask: how many layers in the monster including the visible?

Leslie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:57 pm
Quote:
the only way to correct the internal pieces positions as of now is to take it apart

Image
You mean you have not bandaged the internal 2x2 mechanism???? How would you ever expect a functional puzzle without such bandaging?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
LOL Drew, you are turning this thread to an animated series! Love it.

:lol:


Pantazis

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:21 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
This puzzle has amazing turning quality thanks to CRC Silicone Spray(thanks Garrett) and the low friction design!

After watching the video, I really can't see how this puzzle has "amazing" turning quality at all, unless you were talking about the V-Cube 7 in the picture. :?

_________________
Katniss wrote:
Only on this forum would people use a V-cube 7 as a size comparison for a cat :lol:

My Shapeways shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 am
Location: In Front Of My Teraminx (saying WTF?)
I really sympathise with what you're about to achieve: good luck with the sanding :lol:

- Greg :)

_________________
My Shapeways Shop!
My Designs
My Official Results
My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
Leslie Le wrote:
PuzzleMaster6262,

I've got one question to ask: how many layers in the monster including the visible?

Leslie

It does not have the type of layers you are probably thinking of, but it does have three layers.

@Drewseph
As I have explained before, this puzzle is not a 2x2x2 or a 24 cube. You cannot remove pieces to find a 2x2x2 or 24 cube inside like you can with other designs. What happens with the pieces locking up is a small piece(smaller than a finger nail) falls into a gap during rotation. It would be easy to use a small screwdriver tip to push it back in place except when it happens to about 20 of the pieces at a time, it would be a puzzle in its self to push them back in the correct order. By the time the final video is made, it will be almost impossible to lock up.

@Rubiksfreakgreg
Thanks :D Good luck with whatever puzzle you are currently working on.

@will_57
It does have amazing turning quality when you actually hold it. Friction is not the problem in the video but is what I was refering to when I said that.

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:57 pm
Seriously, you're posts add fuel to a fire deep within my soul, and it hurts.

You have to understand how a mechanism works. which to make this you clearly do understand that. however what you seem to have overlooked is bandaging for the 2x2 mechanism. "But there is no mechanism" you say:

Yes there is. Does the puzzle turn like a 2x2? there you go. In order for any puzzle to turn like such there will be a certain bandaging, or fusing of parts you'll need to do to prevent parts from misalignment.

it is very unfortunate to hear about your internal support pieces popping. out of curiosity are those pieces 100% critical?

if they are popping that easily they sound like they are simply small pieces left in to fill space. In which case they might not be needed at all

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
Hopefully this gets rid of any confusion.

A 2x2x2 could be built from three 2x2x1s. This would be the same as building a 48 cube from a 2x2x2 and 24 cube.
The 2x2x2 made with 3 2x2x1s would not be fully functional because the internal puzzles would block movement after 90 degrees. The 48 cube made this way would also not be fully functional for the same reason. (adding cuts to the 2x2x2 is cheating in this example).
We all know the best way to make a 2x2x2 is to skip the 2x2x1s and just design a 2x2x2 from scratch. This is the same with my puzzle. It could be made with a 2x2x2 and 24 cube, but it works better if you design it on its own. That is why I say it does not have a 2x2x2 in it, for the same reasons a 2x2x2 does not have a 2x2x1 mechanically in it.

The puzzle has the bandaging needed to keep the pieces aligned. That is not a problem.

The pieces are just place holders but are important with the current design. The new mech that will just replace about 100 internal pieces will get rid of the smaller pieces and keep the rest of the pieces in the correct position.

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Houston/San Antonio, Texas
Hmmmm... interesting. This thread says a million words 8-)
Drewseph and PuzzleMaster6262: you are both very intelligent people. and you are both also very stubborn :lol:

After reading this thread, and the other thread about PuzzleMaster6262's "sand" mech, these are my replies to each of you guys:

@Drewseph: This thing is real. Despite PuzzleMaster6262's ego and rather forceful way of grabbing as much fame as he possibly can this early on in his time on TP, he has a functional, original idea. You should recognize this and stop trying to bash it. :roll: I do understand your frustration though. This entire process definitely has its flaws, both in design and presentation.

@PuzzleMaster6262: First off, congrats. I suspect you are a very mathematical person as opposed to engineering-minded. I bet you prefer to never round off answers to math problems. You love having everything absolutely "perfect". That is a great thing. You also seem to be quite aggresive with your ideas. You post copyrights on everything you do and are already advertising the opening of a shop. IMO this is a very premature move. You say you have been working on this puzzle for 4 years, and perhaps you have, but here on TP you have been a member for less than 2 months. So you are new HERE and I don't think you've quite earned the position you seem to think you have. Of the things I have seen you make, none of them seem to work very well :? . This is not because your designs don't work. This is because the real world does not make things "perfectly" and it would seem that you have not quite learned how to work with that. Anyone who has ever tried to make a puzzle has learned how tiny, possibly even unavoidable errors can quickly add up to make a theoretically perfect puzzle work...exactly the way this one does... not terribly well at all. Now many people here have suffered through the tiny imperfections that have made would-be masterpieces... well, kinda suck. At that point they must choose to either perfect the current design, start over and try again, or give up and move on. I have seen Tony, Drew, Oskar, and many other brilliant designers here do exactly this and now you say you are replacing some of the pieces of your creation. However people almost never bash Oskar, Tony, or Drew but some are (quite honestly) bashing you. Do you know why? Because a) The other puzzle designers have several VERY succesful public designs under their belt (earning them the respect of MANY people here) and b) they don't advertsie their puzzles as being amazing and incredible before they're even finished.
Just relax a little. Both this puzzle and the FF Siamese are excellent first attempts. They are, however, horrible quality and hardly worth selling, but they are worth presenting as first attempts. When you make a puzzle that doesn't turn out how you want, show it off anyway, but admit that turning quality is poor and if you intend to make a second attempt you can state that. Look at Eitan's Master Helicopter Cube. The first one sucked and he said it sucked, but nobody bashed him or his puzzle because he handled the situation correctly. What you have here is a very crude, but functional proof-of-concept. Stop advertising yourself as a great puzzle inventor because you aren't... at least not yet :wink: You do seem to be an excellent puzzle theorist, however, and if you are willing to slowly work your way to the top instead of trying to take a giant leap to fame I think you may go far :)

I hope no one takes offense to this. I really do find some of PuzzleMaster6262's ideas exciting 8-) (but dude, you NEED to chill on the ego. Lost of people on this forum are QUITE smart and can make/have made designs that are just as incredible if not better than your designs! :wink: )
I look forward to your SECOND attempt. It might very well prove to be quite impressive.

Peace,
Matt Galla


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
I agree with almost everything in your post. However, I see myself on the building side of things, not the math related side of them. This is my second puzzle mechanism I built. The first was my super edges. The Siamese was built by Rentlix, so the bad turning is not related to this puzzle.

Also I have viewed T. P. for a couple years and just recently made an account because this puzzle was close to being finished.

On a side note, do I really have that big of an ego? I think this puzzle is amazing but if you disagree, I don't care. Maybe that is an ego :lol:

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:45 pm
Yes you do, Yes it is.

_________________
Inactive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:50 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
I'll just add that I am a huge fan of you and your work PuzzleMaster6262! Keep doing what you are doing!

_________________
Tony Fisher wrote:
I believe it would work best with black plastic.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2000 3:17 pm
Location: Hong Kong
Gentlemen, let's stop the "flaming" (Forgive the word, I've been home for 3 weeks and expanding my vocabulary in a very "American teen" way :lol: )

Photos or video would be nice, but make sure you don't make claims as broad as you have. It's a lovely looking puzzle, and incomplete hence I am moving it.

_________________
Rox's Rambling Blog
Katsmom's Puzzling Videos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
On the fact this topic is now in puzzle building, I am expanding it to all Cross Cube/48 Cube designs, not just mine. I will greatly expand on how mine works and others such as Garrett can post their own mechanisms here. When mine is finished and colored, I will start a new topic for it under new puzzles.

@Doubleyou
Your not helping with my ego issue but thank you very much! :mrgreen:

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:57 pm
On the topic of lubricants, how does Silicone help at all with SLS???

the surface is so rough no matter what you'll get a "grainy" turn. granted sls is always very smooth, it just sounds "grainy"

as for the claim of first function puzzle with 2 puzzles in one.... hasn't the Skewb + 2x2, Skewb + dino cube been done already?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:45 pm
Drewseph wrote:
On the topic of lubricants, how does Silicone help at all with SLS???

the surface is so rough no matter what you'll get a "grainy" turn. granted sls is always very smooth, it just sounds "grainy"

as for the claim of first function puzzle with 2 puzzles in one.... hasn't the Skewb + 2x2, Skewb + dino cube been done already?


Or the Helicopter + 2x2, and don't forget your own video showing 3 Dino + 2x2 's
But to awnser your question, yes, silicone does lubricate WSF very very well. Allmost anything can be lubed with it, I have even used it to lube wooden cubboard drawers which were near impossible to open, and 2 years after the lubing are still sliding in and out like a dream.

_________________
Inactive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
Drewseph wrote:
as for the claim of first function puzzle with 2 puzzles in one.... hasn't the Skewb + 2x2, Skewb + dino cube been done already?

I don't think I made that claim. I said this was the second fully functional puzzle with 2 deep cut puzzles in one. The first is the 2x2x2 + skewb. However, would this be the first fully functional puzzle with 2 puzzles in one that allows the puzzles to intermix?

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:39 pm
Location: Marquette, MI, USA
Namegoeswhere wrote:
Drewseph wrote:
On the topic of lubricants, how does Silicone help at all with SLS???

the surface is so rough no matter what you'll get a "grainy" turn. granted sls is always very smooth, it just sounds "grainy"




But to awnser your question, yes, silicone does lubricate WSF very very well. Allmost anything can be lubed with it, I have even used it to lube wooden cubboard drawers which were near impossible to open, and 2 years after the lubing are still sliding in and out like a dream.


In fact isn't SLS powdered Nylon? it says can be used for nylon right on heavy duty silicone spray. I used it on my 2x5x5, made it amazing.

On topic I wonder if you simply fillited the internal pieces and had them reprinted if this would help the puzzle at all? It couldnt make it pop by such a small difference could it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:50 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
silicon spray works true wonders with SLS printed puzzles.

_________________
Tony Fisher wrote:
I believe it would work best with black plastic.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cross Cube/48 Cube (Video Uploaded)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
Muffet wrote:
On topic I wonder if you simply fillited the internal pieces and had them reprinted if this would help the puzzle at all? It couldnt make it pop by such a small difference could it?

That is what I'm thinking of doing, along with a couple small differences to decrease friction and fix a couple issues with the current puzzle.

A am calling this current puzzle v1 and with the new internal pieces it will be v2. This puzzle is 7 cm wide but the.drizzle's 24 cube is 8.5 cm wide. My third and last version of this puzzle will be bigger and have casted parts.

@Drewseph or Garrett
Because this thread is now about all 48 cubes, how does your/Garrett's mech keep the 2x2x2 aligned correctly above the 24 cube?

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group