Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Truncated A Star
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:36 am 
Another design that should be easy enough to make.

Max

Post subject: Re: Truncated A Star
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 4:22 am 

Wow.
What an illusion,
it gives the feeling that the corners are extruded, when they are actually recessed!
Thats a nice mod... Probably harder to cut all of the stickers than to actually make the thing!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 6:54 am 
I rendered with a background and lights to add shadows, without them it is very confusing because of the optical illusion.

Carter, your right it would have to be paint unless it was made just for looking at most of the time.

There are a few things I prefer with the with the trunc version over the regular one.

1. It looks solved when solved.
2. It looks like a megaminx with the corners removed.
3. It would stand better.
4. It is a nice small size.

Max

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 7:25 am 
Nice design! It reminds me of the Alexander's Star mechanism (which I have). Perhaps if the corners were cropped and the pieces made with similar connector so they move around the "star" shape in the middle.

Always Cubing and Puzzle Building,
Rubix (Duane Cash)
Rubix Corner

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:26 am 
It is a truncated alex star

Max

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 11:01 am 
The easy way to make it would be by filling with polyester and grinding (a la Wayne's mods). The pentagonal tips are simple, the moving pieces have that little springy thing. I would suggest surrounding it with something (wax, plasticine, silicone,...) then filling the piece with resin. Should be able to keep it springy like that.

LOTS of pieces though, SO much grinding and sanding. If there was a way to make the springy bits, I would grind one piece (or a set of 5), cast the rest and add the springs after.

Any suggestions on how to make the springy bits? I think metal would do too much damage to the rest of the puzzle.

Max

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 4:22 am 

It would be better to have tiles or paint, because stickers are likely to peel off when you twist.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:03 am 
Oh, and if you did want to do it with stickers a set of megaminx stickers would be almost exactly the right size. Might need to superglue them on though.

Max

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:39 pm 

Looks to me that this would be a lot easier to make by recessing the Megaminx corners, although you couldn't fully sticker the inside-out corners and it wouldn't look half as nice as in Max's picture. I know I haven't bothered to consider Alexander's Star mods because it's mechanism ranks among the weakest.

Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:17 pm 

I don't think you could easily make this by modifying a Megaminx because the curved ledge under which the edges fit would cut through the visible recessed parts. The curve needs to be smaller ala Alexander's Star, which is probably why its mech is so bad.

By the way, Max's model is a dodecadodecahedron, one of the 75 uniform polyhedra. Another uniform polyhedron that could be made by modifying an Alexander's Star is the Great Truncated Dodecahedron:

(Image from Great Stella).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:03 am 

When i first looked at the pic i thought it was a megaminx with 3x3 corner pieces in place of the minx's corners. I dug out my megaminx and a 3x3 and combind the 2. Kinda funny, and i feel so dumb, that is a good illusion!!!
jake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:32 am 
People seem to really dislike the AStars mech. I know its a bit "wobbly" and can jam during a turn, but I've never had a problem with it falling apart. If you use four fingers to turn a face and make sure you're holding on close to the middle rather than near the tips, they are normally fine. This would be automatic on the trunced version.

I am guessing that the ones that break have been put under strain because they don't turn smoothly. They really benefit from a clean and a lube. The mech is more open than most, so dirt can get in and clog them up. It is well worth dismantling them (can be a pain, a couple of butter knives to close up the springy bit makes it easier), giving them a good wash, rebuilding and a little squirt of silicone. This is best done when they aren't too worn and are still tight.

As a puzzle, it is not that inspiring. It is only the edges of a megaminx after all. But you've got to love that shape!

Anyone else think the mech is ok, or am I the only one ;)

Max

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:39 am 

The pieces are held in by a very small lip that is made from a brittle plastic. I had one break the lip off while is was sitting on a shelf. One day I found the piece sitting on the shelf next to the puzzle! I have several and all turn poorly. I never tried to lubricate them. I don't see it as worth the trouble. It's a good puzzle for it's novelty but not so hard as others have pointed out.

I have a display model. It has a metal plate with a picture and some advertising on it. It has a clamp that allows it to be clamped to a shelf or store counter top. The puzzle is attached to the display with a heavy chain about two and a half long. Pete Beck at http://justpuzzles.freeyellow.com/ sold these for a long time so I have always assumed that they are not very rare. However I have never seen one come up on ebay or on one of the museums. It is definitely a good collectable. Does anyone else have one?

Walt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:58 am 

I have also found that a couple of squirts of silicone spray make the Alexander Star turn much better, so that it actually becomes quite playable again.

> I have a display model.
> I have always assumed that
> they are not very rare. However I have
> never seen one come up on ebay or on one
> of the museums. It is definitely a
> good collectable. Does anyone else have one?

I don't have that, but I do have one that is painted instead of stickers.
My old one had stickers, but they have faded in the sun (the red is an ugly brown orange), and once some edges curl up a bit it only gets worse since pieces move across the stickers when you play with it.
The painted one has none of those problems. I think it was a special edition of some kind.

Jaap

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:32 am 

I'm with you, Max. I love the shape of Alexander's Star. Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be lovely with different colors? Yes, it jams sometimes, and you have to wiggle it. It's worth the aggravation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:58 am 
I have a painted one, in a "dome" box. It was almost unused when I got it. I cleaned and lubed it and it is spot on. It is well worth getting one thats in good condition, they wobble much less, so are very good when lubed.

Max