Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 5X5 disassembled
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:43 am 
BTW. does anybody have pictures of the 5X5, disassembled?

Post subject: Re: 5X5 disassembled
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:04 pm 

Look here:

http://www.twistypuzzles.com/

under mechanism pictures

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:03 pm 

I took my Eastsheen 5x5x5 apart the other day, and discovered that it has a completely different mechanism to the Meffert 5x5x5.

The Meffert 5x5x5 has a 3x3x3 as its core, with the pieces extended directly out to form the vertices, face-centres and edge-centres of the 5x5x5. Other pieces then fit between these.

The Eastsheen on the other hand is much simpler, having a similar but extended mechanism to the 3x3x3, ie face-centres are attached to the middle, and pieces further out progressively fit under the pieces further in. Interestingly, there are NO springs in the central mechanism.

The obvious question: what does the Rubik's 5x5x5 mechanism look like? Can someone tell me whether it's the same as either Meffert or Eastsheen?

Also, anyone know how to take apart the Eastsheen 4x4x4? I've had no luck so far!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:03 pm 

The rubiks.com is going to be identical in appearance to the mefferts version as well as the 80's arxon version, minus possible slight cosmetic changes. I haven't removed my rubiks.com 5x5x5 out of its box yet but I'm willing to bet my left nut. I've bet my left nut often enough and I've never lost that bet so I'm pretty confident now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:29 pm 
There are only two types of 5x5x5. The smaller East Sheen cube and Meffert's.

All of the older Rubik's Wahn/Professor cubes, Bandellow's Professor cubes, newer Rubik's Professor cubes and Meffert's newer tiled 5x5x5s have the exactly same mech as Meffert's original 5x5x5s. The only difference being the stickers/tiles and packaging.

The older Rubik's and Bandellow cubes were produced by Meffert and relabelled. The new Rubik's are supposed to come from new tooling and be produced by Rubik's, but I've opened one up and can't see any difference. I would go as far as saying the tooling is the same as Meffert's current 5x5x5.

Max

Post subject: Eastsheen 4x4x4
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:50 am 

I will tell you, but only after warning you that reassembly of this puzzle is one of the most difficult and tedious processes known to man. (ok not quite that tough, but very time-consuming)

To disassemble: turn top 2 faces 1/8 turn. Then try to remove 2 edge pieces the same way you remove an edge from the 3x3x3. Take out the two corners and the rest is a piece of cake.

To reassemble: note the 3 arms of the spider mech with cubes at the bottom. Assemble this group first. (I will spare you the hideuos details of what comes next). In any case, you should end up with only 2 corners and 2 edges left to put in (at UF). At this point, place one corner, turn your U face 1/8 turn and place the adjacent edge. Then place the other corner, give the top 2 layers a 1/8 turn, and force the last edge in (make sure you're putting it in the right way). By my experiences, you don't have to worry about the cube breaking.

One last note: the Eastsheen 4x4x4 has the same number of pieces as the 5x5x5, so make sure you don't lose any pieces, there are quite a few of them.