Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pyraminx to Tetraminx
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 4:27 am 

Does any have suggestions for the size/type of screws to use when converting a Pyraminx to a Tetraminx, or when building an Octaminx?

The sorts in my Pyraminx appear to be some form of specialty screw; machine screw heads, extremely long unthreaded shafts, and just a bit of shallow threading at the tips. The local hardware shops don't seem to have any obvious matches for what's needed (something shorter that won't unscrew over time).

I recall seeing instructions for this conversion in an old book on "Solving the Pyramid Puzzle", including photos of a disassembled and a transparent Pyraminx. Does anyone have it handy, or does it suggest replacement screws?

Post subject: Tetraminx screws
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 4:27 am 

I tried the same thing. Yes, the screws appear to be special. I ended up using sheet metal screws with washers on the heads. (Sorry, I don't know what size they were, but I'm sure that they were pretty standard sizes.) The most difficult part is starting and keeping the screws straight. I did succeed in making a tetraminx, but it seemed sloppy and often fell apart for this reason. I finally broke down and bought a tetraminx from Meffert's. Now my cobbled-up tetraminx is in my rainy-day spare puzzle parts bin.

Post subject: Cut the screws...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 4:03 am 
I've made 2 so far. One normal and one bandaged.
I used bolt cutters on the back of my pliers to cut the bolts. I cut about halfway up the threaded part of the screw. The tip flattened a bit when I cut, but it didn't seem to hurt anything.

I also put a few drops of super glue in the hole but that may be optional.

Both mine work great and haven't fallen apart yet.

Post subject: cut screws
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 8:41 pm 

Unless my pyraminx was different then yours (I used Meffert's packaged by Think Puzzles), I don't understand how you could only remove 1/2 of the threaded portion and still make the screw short enough to keep its head in the hole below the surface of the removed pyramid tip. My screws only had a very short length of thread near their tip.

I guess I could have removed all of the threaded length (and then some) and then used superglue to hold them from backing out. I suspect, however, from its looks that the center ball was made from polypropylene/Delrin (same as plastic milk cartons) which is a very difficult material to glue to.

Doug.

Post subject: re: cut screws
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 8:41 pm 
Both mine were older models made by Tomy. The bottom half of the screw was threaded while the other half was bare. I cut 1/4 of the entire length of the screw.

If your threads aren't as long, I can see how this wouldn't work. Sorry.