Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AxBxC?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:16 pm 

Has anyone ever made a working AxBxC cube, where A, B and C are ALL different? Eg 1x2x3? 2x3x4?

Some turns would have to be 180 degrees, but others may still be 90, as with a 2x2x4 cube.

Rob.

Post subject: Re: AxBxC?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:47 pm 
I started a 1x2x3. A very simple mech, based on a 1x1x2, ith extensions like a 2x2x4 but with semicircular posts and keys. It is a bit fiddly though, using standard 3x3x3 sized cubies doesn't leave much room, in a centre pieces, for 2 holes to catch the extensions and a hole to put a bolt through and to still be strong enough. I really would prefer it to be make from standard sized cubies, this is why its unfinished. I don't have to tools to be accurate enough.

Any day now I will be getting some new tools I ordered. A mini circular saw, mini flat bed router, proper drill press and a whole bunch of different shaped routing bits ;)

I have some plastic stock on the way to. Various sizes of extrusions; half round, round, half pipe, pipe, square, rectangular, triangular & T-, I-, L-, sections. Good stuff for making prototypes to mould.

I might have another go, after I have finish what I am doing at the moment ;)

Max

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:39 am 

I have 1x2x3 puzzle. Got it in exchange for Rubik's Maze.

Juozas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:42 am 

Hello Juozas,

Interesting puzzle!!
Can you tell us a bit more about it?
Was the puzzle "industrially made" or "home-made"?
Do you know what internal mechanism was used?

Geert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:20 pm 

Also Juozas,

Could you post any pictures of it?

Vadim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:08 pm 

More about 1x2x3.

It is home made puzzle. But the quality is outstanding! No single part of any known puzzle mechanism is used. Everything is designed from scratch. As a puzzle it is simple. Only 180 degree turns available and only six parts, so there are not many posibilities. It could be very attractive and, I think, popular keychain puzzle.

I'll take the images, but will delay uploading them to the forum until Friday. Designer of the puzzle reads this forum, I believe. May be he has some objections, or would like to post them himself. It is already two years I have this puzzle and was patient enough not to show it erlier :-). But ethical issues are very important on this forum (that's one of a few reasons, why we are here), so let's wait those two days.

Juozas

Post subject: 1x2x3 pictures
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:12 pm 

Beside 2x2x2.
Global twist.
Local twist.
Pretty pattern.

Juozas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:41 am 

First, that 1x2x3 thing is great. Very high quality piece, by the looks of it.

Next, I've been brainstorming about making a 2x3x4 from a 4x4x4. You might want to draw a diagram of one to get what I'm talking about. How would you stop the user from twisting a 2x4 face 90 degrees, then twisting either a 2x3 face (2 layers deep) or a 4x3 face? If you allow those move sequences, the puzzle is nothing more than a heavily bandaged, shape-transforming 3x4x4.

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:25 pm 
I assume you would be using a 2x2x3 as the base puzzle. In this case the problem is equivalent to allowing only 180 deg twists on the top and bottom 2x2 slices of the 2x2x3.

This is similar to what I asked a few posts ago, a 180 deg twist only 3x3x3. The basic idea was to have the 3 centre slices all different thickness.

Thats one way to do it. Start with a keychain 3x3x3. Modify the centre slice (only one of them in this case) and build up the corners. Then form the 2x2x3. Next use a drill and router to cut tracks in two of the 2x3 faces for the 2x3 extensions.

Might work ;)

Max

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:05 pm 

Of course it'll work. :P

The hardest part of the job is getting enough clearance to fit the extensions and the tracks. Everything else about the build is a piece of cake, relatively speaking.

Post subject: Re: 1x2x3 pictures
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:12 pm 

Juozas, it's gorgeous!
Has he got anymore?

Vadim

Post subject: Re: 1x2x3 pictures
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:14 pm 
Wonderful! I love the shape, a real pocket puzzle ;)

Thanks for the pics.

Max

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:53 am 

Hmm...

Actually a 2x3x4 is nothing more than an extended 2x2x3.

In fact, the mechanism for such a puzzle has just appeared very clearly in my head. I don't think allowing such 90 degrees 2x4 twists is necessarily a bad thing. It does actually increase the difficulty I think.

I just might have to attempt one. But later. I start moving in a few days so puzzle making will have to come to a halt for a short while.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:05 pm 
Yep, thats the problem. As you (Jin) know well, there's not much room to play with on a 2x2x3's edge cubie. The keys want to be quite deep so that when a 2x4 slice is twisted the corners hold on.

On a 2x2x4 the keys are about 3mm long, this is only just enough, the corners do wobble slightly when a 2x4 slice is turned about 35 deg. Using regular 3x3x3 cubies on a 2x2x3 there just isn't 3mm of room left. I think one solution would be to use a different shaped key. Something like this might work. (Corner cubie, looking at face between a 2x4 slice and the centre slice.)

But it wouldn't be easy to cut tracks for such a key!

Max