Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cast metal pieces!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:07 am 
Another boring post about my casting experiments I'm afraid ;)

A few posts ago Wayne asked about casting metal. I found a source of ground metal dust (it is used in colouring glazes for potting). I have bought copper, brass and aluminium to play around with. I can also get iron & bronze. This stuff is expensive (£5-£20 per 500g depending on the metal), but I like the results!

This is a 2x2x4 extension cubie, cast from a clear polyester with 2:1 by weight copper dust added. I would add 3:1 next time (this does mean using a lot of this expensive stuff per puzzle). I had to use polyester because I don't have clear polyurethane, I will be getting some!

The piece feels cold like metal, and is heavy. It is also very hard, I don't have a durometer but it is much harder than even a 90 shore epoxy. It polishes up like copper also.

Clearly I wouldn't make a 2x2x4 from these metallised resins, that's just a mould I had handy for the experiment. I am making moulds for a rhombicuboctahedron, this would look very nice with copper, aluminium and brass layers!

Wayne, I really think you could cast an injection moulding tool with an aluminium metallised epoxy resin! I am very sure it would work with a low pressure hand pumped system!!

Max.

Post subject: Re: Cast metal pieces!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:25 am 

Very nice work.

Yes, this is the path I'm going down. I have the plans for the injection machine. It is possible and the cost is a bit but worth it. Maybe around the $300US mark. It won't speed up production that much but accuracy will be the key and failure rate will be low.

Aluminuium filled epoxy resins will make perfect molds.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:03 am 
And you can use very cheap plastic instead of expensive resins!

Max

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:03 am 

Exactly. I can then make the puzzles using recycled plastic.