Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1x1x3 usb key and 1x1x1 cellphone charms
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:59 am 

I wasn't sure what forum to put this in, but I figured this is a good one since I used the tricks I learned from building real puzzles to build these.

Attachment:
cell.jpg
cell.jpg [ 37.15 KiB | Viewed 537 times ]

These two cell-phone charms are actually Cubesmith earings, I only exchanged the hoops for the strings and put on some left-over 5x5x5 tiles.

For the usb key case I took three floppy cube corners. Cutting off the wings you get perfect cubes. They were already hollow, I only had to pop off the caps and make one additional hole into the middle one.
Attachment:
usb1.jpg
usb1.jpg [ 21.53 KiB | Viewed 533 times ]

After some light sanding, glueing and painting, I ended up with this:
Attachment:
usb2.jpg
usb2.jpg [ 33.68 KiB | Viewed 533 times ]

Because the original casing of the usb key did not fit inside, I had to crack it open and extract only the chip. Since I could no longer use the original snap-in-place lid, I had to make an improvised closing mechanism that would keep the small cubie firmly attached to the other to.

I created a set of tongues from some plastic sheet to fit into the tight space between the usb key and the casing. The key is wrapped into a layer of masking tape and some electrical tape for protection and superglued to the case.
Attachment:
usb3.jpg
usb3.jpg [ 31.85 KiB | Viewed 536 times ]

Finally, to make sure the lid won't fall off, I superglued a small magnet to the bottom. This keeps the lid attracted to the metal part of the key. As you can see the lid now sticks to anything metal. A quick Google search confirmed that the magnet should not erase the data on a flash drive since it's actually a ssd, not a hdd.

Attachment:
usb4.jpg
usb4.jpg [ 22.78 KiB | Viewed 533 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1x1x3 usb key and 1x1x1 cellphone charms
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:47 am 

Wow! :shock: :P Awesome ideas and craftmanship! :P Hole I can make these sometime. :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:29 am 

I bet that holds more than 1gigabite.

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:44 pm 

Steryne wrote:
I bet that holds more than 1gigabite.

It doesn't :lol: I used my old 1GB key to make this. I have another one that's 2GB. I don't really need more than that since I only use it to transfer files from one computer to another or to share them with friends/coworkers.

Actually, DX is now selling a 4GB 1x1x3 usb key, but I think it's way overpriced. Also, I don't think I'll be purchasing any more usb keys from them. I recently bought the 4GB credit card key and the thing could not be formatted. Apparently, it's a fairly common problem with Chipsbank keys (that's what the chip turned out to be), but I could not find an appropriate low-level formatting software to fix it. To their credit, they are sending me a replacement when it's back in stock (I don't have to return the defective one) and hopefully that one will work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:37 pm 

Rubik's was selling these at one point but everyone was playing them down becuase they only held one gig.

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:52 am 

I know. Well, why buy 1GB for $30 when you can make a 4GB one for about $15 (the price of a 4GB stick, available in local stores here) plus some left-over cubies? Mine was free since I had a perfectly good 1GB stick lying around.

Sure, this one doesn't have the twist-to-hide mechanism, but I actually prefer having a lid because it really looks like a 1x1x3 on the outside. The official ones have too many holes. Of course, it isn't fully functional, but neither is the official one.

Hmm, maybe now I should go make a fully-functional 1x1x2 with the remaining two floppy cube corners? (I destroyed one trying to make a super floppy and I had one leftover corner from the heart-shaped variant, so five altogether.)