Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pictures of the inner workings of an Offset Skewb
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:58 am 

If any of you are wondering how an offset skewb is made or how good the quality of the puzzles made from the 3d construnction studio are then check out this link. I have not played with this puzzle, but the quality and detail amazes me.

http://home.wwdb.org/drsevern/jpg/album1.html

Post subject: Re: Pictures of the inner workings of an Offset Skewb
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:23 pm 
Quote from one of my posts last month:

"Note that every pic of this I can find doesn't show the back of the small tip during a twist, I think it must be a deep reaching piece that hooks onto the mech well below the surface the puzzle. This would mean a puzzle larger than a skewb (Recon Studio list it as 55mm sq) so it would have to built from a mini skewb."

Max ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:00 pm 
Oh and I forgot to ask, why aren't you playing with it!

Max

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:11 pm 

Heh. It's just a Skewb. He may as well play with a regular Skewb and minimize the wear on his expensive custom piece. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:43 am 
Good point, I don't have anything that expensive yet ;)

Max

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:30 am 

If you were to collect stamps, would you lick them all? :)))

Too many puzzles, too little time. I am trying to build a few custom puzzles and it took a while to get my collection web site built so that is why I don't play with them much. I also don't want to wear out the rare expensive ones.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:58 am 

Great pictures! It's amazing, as I was thinking all this over just yesterday, and thought of making it from either mini skewb, and regular skewb. In both cases this requires custom pieces, so why not make it from regular skewb after all??? Extend and shape large piramid corners, create new central piece, and fill and cut small pyramid corners. The small pyramid corners will not be able to hold the ball bearings, and these will have to moved elsewhere, say, inside the large corners. BTW, those corners that are attached to the spider arms, do have provisions to put the ball bearings in, you just need to make deepers cuts. For some reason they have not been used. Anyway, as these pieces are extended, the bearings will need to be put in different places.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:23 pm 

Not necessarily. I hope you disassembled a skewb many times. Take a look at the tip piece, and imagine it being cut, while keeping an angle of the part that reaches inside the puzzle. You'll get a small triangle piece, you loose ball bearings (they will not fit in there anymore). Anyway, you still will not see the back, as it will be that part of the tip that reaches inside the puzzle, the same way as in regular skewb, no difference!

The size of the offset skewb on the 3d studion page, however, was indeed pointing in the direction of a mini skewb as a base, as a normal skewb is 57mm in size. Had they made in 57mm as well, it'd have been difficult to tell what was the base. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:10 pm 
Not having any rare & expensive Recon Studio stuff, I don't have this problem. Lucky me ;(

The only things I have never twisted are some sealed PGCo cubes and pyraminx clone, a sealed Rubik Mate and some sealed duplicates of current-ish puzzles.

I might open the Mate, unless someone has a pic of the joining piece. At the moment I couldn't tell for sure if a mate was a real rubik even if I took it to bits.

Max

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:53 pm 

Building a Siamese cube is realatively easy. If you can getr ahold of some "assembly" type cubes, it's even easier.

4 corners and 2 edges are all that will be worked on. There are several ways of cutting the pieces to be glued together. I cut the outter shell off one cubie saving the 3 inner faces and the 'nub' for one half and cut off the LR&B faces of another saving the 'nub', the 2 'inner side walls' and the top for another. If you sit 2 cubes on a table like the Siamese will eventually go together its easier to see how the two mod corner pieces should go together. I used masking tape and aluminum from a soda can to shim holes and align the pieces before puoring epoxy resin into the hollow cavity sealing them together. Be sure to pay attention to any little holes in you taping as liquid epoxy resin will surely find them and run out onto your table!
The process can be repeated for the bottom corner. The edge piece should be easy to figure out if you look at the cubes when aligned on your table. If you need help look at Ton's pages (http://www.speedcubing.com) for some info.
The fun part is assembly. (and of course playing with your new puzzle)

hope this helped,
_pink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:53 pm 
I have a mefferts siamese, I could cast the joining piece from that if I wanted to make one. I just want to see a Rubik one so I know what it is like.

Max