Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 6x6x6 progress update
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:44 am 
Check this place out, I hear they can make molds from 3-D printers. Yes, 3-D prints of solid objects. I didn't believe it until I saw it in person. Some of these companys are experimenting with printing using powdered metal and a laser that bonds each layer. http://www.zcorp.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:20 am 

If you can only make two a year, I gues it will not be cheap, I estimate at least $500. But still ... I am willing to buy one!

Ton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:29 pm 
The big difference is that on a 7x7x7 the corner will hang off every side when twisted. The 2x2x4 corners only overhang completely on two sides.

I think a 7x7x7 is possible, there are many ways. Magnetic corner pieces, thin outer slices, ... I just dont think it can be done use the normal tricks.

Max

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:28 pm 

As Max says about the injection mold book, don't you worry, I know the book you mean and I have it on order. As for tooling, I think I may be able to work around this.

My brain is working overtime on this right now. Not for the 6x6x6, but for the next lot of ideas...

Anyway, the first 6x6x6 just rolled off the production line but there are some slight weaknesses to sort out, so it's not 100% just yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:28 pm 

Firstly, there's one annoying thing about the way this forum works. If you reply to a message in the middle of the thread, then your reply also appears in the middle of the thread. I think it should always go at the end, regardless of which message you reply to. I like to scroll to the end of a thread to see what's new, and for a big thread like this, it's impractical to have to scan through the whole thing to find the new message. It's also good to see the messages in the order they were posted.

Wayne, can this be changed?

Many people may have missed SevenCubed's new message hidden amoung the old messages above. He (or she?) wrote:

> I agree with Max that a 7x7x7 cube should be possible. In fact, I
> think I may have come up with a design that does it! If I'm right,
> this will work without using irregular-sized pieces or magnetics,
> and the puzzle will not fall apart if you hold it the wrong way.
> Plus, the same basic concept should also work for 9x9x9, maybe even
> more.
>
> Now, I just need to build one of these to prove it! It won't be
> easy, there are about 1500 pieces to make and assemble...

I keep trying to imaging how it might work mechanically, but to no avail, and any potential ideas seem overly complex.

Rather than going straight for the 7x7x7, I suggest you try your idea out by building a 3x3x3 with a very thick middle layer, so that the corner pieces overhang when turned.

I don't suppose you want to share your idea with us? :-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:04 pm 
I missed that one too! You can change the layout preferences, see if you find that better.

As far as a 7x7x7 goes, the only way I think it could be done, that didn't use magent or thin outer layers, would be some kind of system active mechanical keys in the adjacent cubes that moved to hold/release the corner depending which face was turned. I just don't think this would be practical. While magnets might not be ideal, if a fully working 7x7x7 was built with just the corners missing and then magnet were used for the corners, I think you could have a useable puzzle. These little rare earth magnets can be very strong.

Max

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:29 pm 
I agree with Max that a 7x7x7 cube should be possible. In fact, I think I may have come up with a design that does it! If I'm right, this will work without using irregular-sized pieces or magnetics, and the puzzle will not fall apart if you hold it the wrong way. Plus, the same basic concept should also work for 9x9x9, maybe even more.

Now, I just need to build one of these to prove it! It won't be easy, there are about 1500 pieces to make and assemble...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:29 pm 
My design idea is indeed based on a complex system of keys that lock pieces in place and release them.

Max, I don't see how thin outer layers would help. I'm guessing you mean thick outer layers.

Robert, good idea about the 3x3x3 with a thick middle layer. I do plan to start out with 3x3x3 (and then maybe 5x5x5), but I'll stick to regular-sized layers anyway because I think it should still tell me if it won't work, and this way I'll be able to reuse many of the same pieces in the 7x7x7...

It will be kind of big, at least on the first try (maybe 2-3 times the length of a Rubik's Revenge in each dimension). Hopefully, this will help avoid jamming problems.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:09 am 
Yep, obviously I meant thicker outer layers ;) Thinner would make the task harder.

Max

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:22 pm 

With the forum replies, I made it so that if your replit is more appropiate in the middle, you could insert it where you want. But if you want to be the last reply, simply reply to the bottom. If I get a major lot of feedback that this is not a convenient thing, I can change it or work around it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:45 pm 

reply to robert: (just seeing if it really does put it in 'order'). the forum used to run on that system. you can see something similar when you change viewing preferences on this forum...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:22 pm 

Re forum replies, I think the problem is that people reply without expecting the reply to turn up in the middle. You have to do it once to realise it will happen, and then it's easy to forget later and do it again :-)

Yes, I expected it was to keep the reply near the message being replied to, however I don't think this argument holds up. You will after all be replacing another reply to that same email, or at least moving some other email further away from the one it replied to.

Keeping replies near their originals would really require a tree structure (no I'm NOT suggesting you change to that! :-)). The choice between putting replies immediately after the original versus putting them at the end is really just a choice about what order to parse the tree in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:45 pm 

hmmm.... i deliberately replied to wayne's message before roberts. so it puts your reply to a specific message directly below the previous last reply to that same message.