Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Half-truncating a 333.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:01 pm 

I was reading the article about making a half-truncated 333 cube. It says to use a bench sander. I think my brother may have one of these, but otherwise, my first question is what if you don't have one?

Second question is: do you push the whole 333 cube down onto the bench sander, thus sanding down three edges and a corner piece at a time, or do you do each piece separately. The first way would be quicker and easier to hold the puzzle while doing it, but has someone tried it? Is there a down side (eg the pieces spring apart straight away and go flying all over the room!)?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Half-truncating a 333.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:01 pm 

Hi Robert. I actually do each piece individually on a bench grinder (not a sander). That way I can get better accuracy at an early stage. Also, trying to hold the whole and do it at once is difficult. The cube layers will start to turn and you will lose accuracy.

Conversely, when doing the 4x4x4 cubohedron, I do hold the whole cube together and grind. As some of the plastic surface melts under the grinder, the layers fuse together somewhat, stopping any layer shifting. I prefer not to do each piece individually for this particular puzzle.

As a tip, after doing the grinds of a 3x3x3, assemble the cube, shuffle, and lightly grind, shuffle, grind etc. This will give you an even accurate result.

Be careful not to overgrind your pieces. Don't be in a rush. Don't do it when you're tired.

Post subject: Re: Half-truncating a 333.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:00 am 

When I created my Master Cuboctahedron, I also did the whole thing at once. I used masking tape to make sure it stayed stable during the cut.

I also used the same method when creating my Octaminx. After I did one face, I removed the tape, mixed it up to align uncut "tips" with the truncated face to keep my measurements close. That's what you see in this picture. If I did it again, I probably wouldn't bother with the mixing at this point, as decent measurements and cut-marks on the puzzle will probably suffice.

[img]http://twistypuzzles.com/large/00397-02.jpg" WIDTH=350 HEIGHT=350>

Sandy