Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Any tips on taking apart a pyramorphix?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:34 am 

Could someone who has done this please give me some tips on doing this, I am trying to make something with it and don't want to break it if I don't have to.

Post subject: Re: Any tips on taking apart a pyramorphix?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:13 am 

It can be tricky. One of the 8 pieces is attached to the mechanism. If you try to disassemble the puzzle when that piece is in the wrong place on the puzzle, you're much more likely to break a little pin. Also, the location of that piece can also hinder putting the thing back together again after. I realize none of that helps at all... but it's interesting.

What I can say about disassembly is that if you feels like you're forcing it, don't. Choose a different slice. I've taken apart at least 50 of the Ruby's Triangle Pyramorphixes, and I very rarely break a pin anymore.

When you try misaligning the right slice, a gentle twist will cause the thing to fall apart.

Finally, if you break a pin, it's hardly the end of the world. You don't want to break too many on the same puzzle though!

Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:34 am 
Its the same mechs as a 2x2x2 rubik. Just misalign a slice and twist against it. Should work. The keychain one and the Ruby's triangle come apart easier than the regular Mefferts one.

I find it is easier to take these apart (and 2x2x2) if you put them on a radiator for a few mins to warm them up. Not sure how much difference it really makes, but I think there is less chance of damage.

Max

Post subject: Puzzle building question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:16 pm 

Given the naature of the fused portion of the pyramorphix (I took one apart once), how is it possible to build the starburst and/or okki (gem)? The starburst would have 2 of the fused portions and the gem none, both non-functional possibilities.

Post subject: Re: Puzzle building question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:16 pm 
the tetrahedron and triangular parts come off the mechanism. You just transplant all the triangles to one mech and all the tetra to the other. both work fine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:17 am 
hey, I can't put mine back together!!! what should i do?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:17 am 

I'll try to explain how to put one back together, but I've tried before, and failed miserably.

Basically, you put all of it back together but one piece. This final piece should probably be a tip, since it'll be easier to hold onto.
Now, when you twist the half of the puzzle with the missing piece in it (there are three ways to do this, note), you will notice one of two things: 1) all THREE of the little "clips" seen inside the hole where the missing piece belongs are moving with the half that has the missing piece, or 2) only TWO of the clips are moving. This is the case you want. If you don't have it, choose one of the other two slices. If none of them work, then reassemble the puzzle with one of the other three tips as the final piece then try again.
Okay, now place the piece into the hole so that the two clips identified above are attached to the final piece. As you slid it into place, it will "butt" against the third clip. Now twist the slice you chose in the previous step... and notice how things look inside.
This is the tricky part. Offset one of the other slices so that when you twist your slice, the final piece latches onto the third clip. Effort can be used to compensate if you misalignments are not quite right, but it isn't really necessary. When you get everything lined up correctly, it will slide on in exactly the same way that it slid off when you were disassembling it.

So have I managed to butcher another description?! Sure sounds like it. I took pictures of this once, but they must be on my home computer, cause they sure aren't here.

Sandy