Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: extended cubes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:12 pm 
Is it possible that make fully working 5x5x5 and 7x7x7 from 3x3x3 ?

Post subject: Re: extended cubes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 6:04 am 
If you mean so all the layers turn...I don't think it'd be possible to just add layers onto the outside to make a 5x5x5. Basically the center, centermost edge, and corner cubies are held together internally like a 3x3x3 (the mefferts and eastsheen ones at least). The second and fourth layers are sandwiched in between the center and outer layers. A 7x7x7 ... I don't see how it would be possible, but I think you *might* be able to "split" the second-to-outermost layers of a 5x5x5 to make it two separate (and half-size) layers and get a fully-working 7x7x7 although you'd have to completely rebuild those pieces and probably everything else. How--I'm not sure--I've never tried to work it out. I know this wouldn't work with a mefferts cube because the the outermost layer "underlaps" the second layer a lot.

One thing that might be more easily possible is to add an additional turning layer on to each side that doesn't have the edge and corner pieces. Like this or better yet this! :-) only with functioning outer layers. You know how the outer layers of a Square-1 work? I bet something like that would work here.

And me wantses one :)

Post subject: Re: extended cubes
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:04 am 
I belive that everything you said is correct, further I think that it would be possible to make a 5x5x5 by severly modifying a 3x3x3 starting with a working extended cube (the first link)

Thats my imput at least