Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Source for Uncut Vinyl Sticker Sheets
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:55 pm 
Hi, I am modding a Revenge into a 4X4 Octagonal Cylinder. I have it finished except the stickers for the "shaved edges". The pieces are just a bit too long for regular 3X3 rubiks stickers. I thought about painting, but really wanted to use stickers. Anyone know of a good source for uncut vinyl sticker sheets? Either online or at a store I have not thought of? In fact, I am not picky about colors so if anyone out there has some scraps from their projects they can send me, I would greatly appreciate it. I'd even send a SASE. Thanks, Ray

Post subject: Re: Source for Uncut Vinyl Sticker Sheets
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:22 am 

You just missed the boat. Wayne was selling a whole rainbow selection of sheets for next to nothing a few weeks ago. But if I understood correctly, they got turfed shortly afterwards.

Did you try checking model hobby shops? Someone once said they found a whole bunch of colours in a place like that. If you don't find any, feel free to e-mail me.

I have a few questions about your "4x4 Octagonal Cylinder". It sounds like a good idea. Is it essentially the 4x4x4 equivalent of the 3x3x3 Octagon, with four columns of cubies truncated at a 45 degrees angle? Four columns two cubies wide, and four colums one cubie wide? Do you have pictures?

Sandy

Post subject: Yes, you are correct
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:22 am 
Thanks for the hobby shop idea. There are a couple of local ones I will check out.

Yes, the cube is exactly a 4X4 version of the 3X3 Octagon with 4 two row middles and 4 one row 45 degree sided cubes. I used to have the 3X3 version when I was a kid, I have been trying to win one on ebay for a while but the ones that I find usually go to high. I more or less lost interest in it, but I had an extra revenge with a couple broken middle piece, so I posted on this site and bought a chewed up revenge and salvaged the broken pieces. So, I figured what the heck.

I have access to a machine shop so I had them shave the corners down. Then I filled the hollows with epoxy and wet sanded them flat. I don't have any pictures yet, but I will post when I get them. Thanks again for the advice, and nice site :) Ray

Post subject: Vinyl Stickers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:53 am 

You can always go to a place that sells custom banners and window decals. They have sheets of that stuff in abundance. There are two or three such shops that I can think of off the top of my head in my neighborhood.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:53 am 
Thanks Jin, I went to a local sign shop today and picked up some sheets of vinyl stickers. They did not have exactly the colors I wanted, but I made due. The vinyl was a little thinner than I would have wanted it, but it works just fine (it shows the cube surface defects). I will post pics once I put batteries in my camera. Thanks to everyone who had suggestions. Ray