Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Speedcube SquarE-1
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:01 pm 

My new Square-1 design
Attachment:
File comment: assembled
zzz SquarE-1.png
zzz SquarE-1.png [ 142.39 KiB | Viewed 1948 times ]

assembled
Attachment:
File comment: mechanism
zzz SquarE-1 mech.png
zzz SquarE-1 mech.png [ 207.93 KiB | Viewed 1948 times ]

mechanism
Attachment:
File comment: more mechanism
zzz SquarE-1 mech1.png
zzz SquarE-1 mech1.png [ 210.96 KiB | Viewed 1948 times ]

more mechanism

I based this on the V-Cube 2 :solved:

I hope it rains on your parade
I hope you have a lousy day today

Just Kidding! Have a great day!

Sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Speedcube SquarE-1
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:27 pm 

Ok... that does it. Will the puzzle collector which has had E-Cubes chained up in their dungeon for the last 10 years working on new puzzles designs PLEASE step forward? LOL!!! Seriously you are pulling off a real designers coup here. At this rate, by the end of the week you'll have redesigned half of the currently existing twisty puzzles and revealed a half dozen totally original ones as well. Ok... maybe that is a slight exaggeration. But if things keep up at this pace I'll start to believe the worlds first sencient computer just got its hands on a copy of Solidworks. Maybe this is how Skynet takes over... making so many new puzzles that us humans are too busy solving, collecting, and playing that we won't notice what is going on till its too late. :)

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:13 pm 

LOL I think he had all these designs already laying around and is now presenting all of them to us ;) :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:11 pm 

I still can't believe he already has all of these designs ready. Half of them I had never thought would ever exist (the 7, 2, this, master pentultimate, etc.). This guy is probably going to next tell us that he has designed an elite pentultimate based off of the master pentultimate mech he designed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:36 am 

BelcherBoy2000 wrote:
I still can't believe he already has all of these designs ready.
I had a hard time believing as well. TwistyPuzzles is a very open and sharing community. We've been here about a decade and I'd estimate about 100 designers have contributed designs, tips, suggestions over the years. We've all grown and developed over the years and we've made many great designs. I dare say we are greater then the sum of our parts. I can't think of a community I'm happier to be a part of. So how is it that someone, anyone, that hasn't been a part of this... isn't even aware of all this... just walks in out of the blue with designs that rival the best I've seen? As you say, we as a community didn't believe some of these designs were even possible a few short years ago. But you know what... I believe him (or her)... even if I haven't been able to get him to introduce himself. Here are the clues I've picked up so far...

In this post he uses RCC to stand for Rotational Corner Cutting. I've never seen this abbreviation used before. Its probably some short hand he's come up with on his own.

In this post he calls his 5 layer FTO "My 5x5x5x5 Face-Turning Octahedron" and in this post he talks about splitting the slice layer on his Master Pentultimate "to make a 4x4x4x4x4x4". I see what he's done. Obviously the 3x3x3 has 3 layers on 3 axes so its 3x3x3. The FTO has 5 lavers on 4 axes so its the 5x5x5x5. And Pentultimate has 6 axes so one with 4 layers on each would be the 4x4x4x4x4x4. I can see how someone might come to that understanding... but I don't think anyone that has been reading these forums for years would have.

Not to mention he is posting models... not finished puzzles in the New Puzzle section. Granted most of us are enjoying this too much to correct him (or her) but he does certainly show signs of being new to and unaware of this community before. And sometimes 1 person in isolation can do something 100 people working as a group can't do. Granted its rare... very rare... but it can and does happen. We all help each other but there are some negatives too... for example we all know that a fully proportional and functional 7x7x7 is impossible. So how many of us are working on trying to make one? Ok maybe not the best example as I know there is that one video where the mech has never been shown and we all believe it uses magnets... but it does make the point I'm trying to make. There is a consensus of what is possible and what isn't and something in that impossible category is likely to get over looked (ok maybe not by Oskar) until someone from outside the community, who has no preconceived notions that its impossible, just simply goes off and makes it.

I also can't put my finger on it but my gut is telling me he (or she) is young. Ok... maybe not 12 years old as I was joking in another post. But I'm 44 and I think its a safe bet they are younger then I am... likely significantly so. At least that is my take on what appears to be happening here. I'll continue to encourage them to introduce themselves but they appear to be enjoying their anonymity at the moment.

What surprises me the most... in 30 years of seeking out and studying NxNxN designs I've only ever see two designs that attempt to put a real 3x3x3 inside a 5x5x5. Both of which are mine and neither has ever been printed. Actually one just got sent to the printers on Sunday so maybe its being printed now. Those two designs are these two:
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26281
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6187
You can look at the time stamp on that first thread and compare it to the second to get an idea of how long it took me to get to a design I thought was worth printing. But until I saw his 5x5x5 I felt like I was the only one working in this area. But the E-Cube 5x5x5 clearly has a 3x3x3 inside of it. It appears to be missing the 3x3x3 face center but that would be trivial to add. Not sure how you "see" these parts if you want to add them to the solve... but they are there. And more then that it sounds like it may improve the over all 5x5x5 design. Something I had never though as possible. I wanted to add them so I could solve them... I never even thought to consider they might be able to be used to simply improve function. Of the designs he's shown the one I want the most is his 5x5x5. Actually I want him to add the 3x3x3 Face center in. I'd put it here:
Attachment:
ECube.png
ECube.png [ 231.58 KiB | Viewed 1614 times ]
Put a square grove that cuts into the feet of the 3x3x3 edges and corners. Then add a square part with a circular hole in it that slides onto the 5x5x5 face center stalk. It would even help hold things together... though looking at things its looks very stable as is. Still I want it there.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:50 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
What surprises me the most... in 30 years of seeking out and studying NxNxN designs I've only ever see two designs that attempt to put a real 3x3x3 inside a 5x5x5. Both of which are mine and neither has ever been printed. Actually one just got sent to the printers on Sunday so maybe its being printed now. Those two designs are these two:
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26281
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6187
You can look at the time stamp on that first thread and compare it to the second to get an idea of how long it took me to get to a design I thought was worth printing. But until I saw his 5x5x5 I felt like I was the only one working in this area. But the E-Cube 5x5x5 clearly has a 3x3x3 inside of it. It appears to be missing the 3x3x3 face center but that would be trivial to add.

I remember someone posting a sketch of a 5x5 using the same mechanism as the Dayan 4x4 (which is using a 2x2 as core) but instead using a 3x3 as core. I think it was when the Dayan 4x4 came out, but I don't know where it was posted. Of course this is something else; not just the idea but a complete design.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:56 am 

wwwmwww wrote:Put a square grove that cuts into the feet of the 3x3x3 edges and corners. Then add a square part with a circular hole in it that slides onto the 5x5x5 face center stalk. It would even help hold things together... though looking at things its looks very stable as is. Still I want it there.
It is there, but it would never turn relative to the outer center piece, so I fused them into one piece. That piece holds the puzzle together, the 4 tabs on the outter center piece are added for stability, and it would work without them. The inner center holds in the face pieces, not the inner 3x3x3.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:19 am 

wwwmwww wrote:

In this post he uses RCC to stand for Rotational Corner Cutting. I've never seen this abbreviation used before. Its probably some short hand he's come up with on his own.

RCC stands for Reverse Corner Cutting.

If you wish to do a R' move on this cube, then Reverse Corner Cutting comes in handy. I guess reverse corner cutting isn't a big deal here in this forum, so not many people know of it.

Even the people on the SpeedSolving forum are making fun of us :lol:

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:56 am 

that cube you have is the Fangshi Shuang Ren. Nice cube! :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:45 am 

rubikcollector123 wrote:
RCC stands for Reverse Corner Cutting.
Even the people on the SpeedSolving forum are making fun of us :lol:
Arg! I should have known that. I have heard the term before. I'm just not a Speed Cuber by any stretch of the imagination. However E-Cubes is the only person I've seen shorten it to RCC and he himself called it Rotational Corner Cutting here. But yes Reverse Corner Cutting makes more sense. I had done a seach of both the Twisty Puzzle forums and the Speed Solving forums for "RCC " (I added the space as you need at least 4 characters) and the only thing that popped up was this:
http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/RCC
which talks about the Rubik's Cube Club. If the abbreviation RCC is in use in the forums, I'm surprised it didn't turn up in my search.

Oh well,
Carl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:19 pm 

I'm a speedsolving person more than here, and we all love these cubes over there.