Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best 3x3 Cube
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:15 am 

I know there are a lot of people here who have very fast 3x3 times. I'm currently working on breaking 25 seconds, but I have a problem. My 3x3 isn't the best you can get (it's from Fred Meyers). What do people think is the best 3x3 cube for speed solving?

Post subject: Re: Best 3x3 Cube
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:53 am 

Although I do not yet have one I think you will find most will recommend the DIY type (a) from cubeforyou(.com)or puzzlepros (eBay).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:31 am 

Well actually, I'm starting to think that regular non DIY cubes are the way to go [in the end] because... well they don't pop, so you don't have to worry about forcing a turn, and they have "character" as Thrawst said on his broadcast last night. I really think that Normal cubes are what you want, but you just have to keep trying to find the right one... everyone knows that its a hit or miss game....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:43 am 

Politely Owned wrote:
well they don't pop, so you don't have to worry about forcing a turn

But don't DIY's pop because people have them too loose?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:46 am 

Yeah, but they're not "too loose", its more that when you force a turn, the centers push out, so you might pop a peice. I don't reallky know, but I'm starting to like regualr rubik's brande more :]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:01 am 

My first ever cube was one of those lucky store-bought ones that was great, but I dropped it and the core shattered. I love love love my Puzzleproz DIY's, and while they do pop, they are amazing. I might try another store-bought once my wrist completely heals so I can break it in without fear of re-injury. I just like the immediate satisfaction that a DIY gives you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:06 am 

I don't get many pops with my DIY, and it can cut corners way better than my Rubik's store bought cube, so I would get a type a) 3x3 from cubeforyou.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:46 pm 

There is an old post somewhere (search refused to find it) where I rated the cubes I knew up to that time.

I prefer the Deluxe cubes (including the Rubik's Game/Challenge cubes), and the white Rubik's DIY with arched centers (no longer available), and the black Rubik's DIY, as the top speedcubing cubes.

Cheers,

David J

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:38 pm 

My black DIY (a) has only popped once or twice since I assembled it. I guess my cube is not as loose as some people's?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:19 pm 

I have a lucky store Hasbro cube. It is amazingly smooth, perfectly even, and quiet (like a ffffff sound), never pops, but does catch a little. When I'm warmed up with it, it doesn't catch very often and is nearly perfect.

My other speedcube is a rubiks.com DIY core with sanded arches, and heavily sanded pieces from a normal rubiks.com cube. (and non-textured tiles :) ) It rarely catches, turns very smoothly, but does pop every once in a while during speed.

I would just get a Puzzleproz DIY from what I've heard of them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:09 pm 

DIY's pop a little more but it's all a matter of preference and the way your finger tricks work, if your tricks are cleaner then you won't pop it as much, and i have noticed lately that rubik's brand are quite smooth now a days i still don't prefer them because they lock up to much do to the rivets instead of having the freedom of screws with the DIYs

4x4:PB:2:38.XX |
5x5:PB:4.52.XX |

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:47 am 

I have a PuzzlePros white diy. It does pop quite a bit and it came missing one cap (i don't think has happened to anyone else). If your looking for a cube that won't pop, but still turns well, I would go with the Rubik's brand cube that comes with gray, white, black, and silver stickers. That was my first cube and it turns really well. It is not quite as smooth as a diy, but it is the smoothest cube that doesn't pop that I've seen.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:26 am 

IMO: Icon > 2005 > 25th > DIY (A)

I'm tempted to rip AUD$5 worth of tiles off my DIY (A) and put stickers on it to do a fair comparison. I'd be inclined to say that it could be better than the above cubes - even if worked in. I just can't justify removing them when I'm happy with the 2005 cube that I'm using :-P

If you want the best cube, take a pretty average one and make it better (N/A to Famwealth) :solved:

Tim.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:46 pm 

(clears throat loudly)
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8561

4x4x4 - 3:19.68 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3sDLT87TNQ
5x5x5 - 4:46.96 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8E1_6zV_zU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:37 pm 

TimMc wrote:
IMO: Icon > 2005 > 25th > DIY (A)

Icon better than a regular cube? You prefer the colors, or the build of that particular cube?
I don't have an icon, so I don't know how they feel, but I've heard they're difficult to solve due to the colors.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:57 pm 

My icon is worse that any rubik's brand I've bought

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:09 am 

my main cube is my rubiks speed cube with the adjustable screws

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:40 am 

i use a red diy(a) from cube4you. at first it locked up a bit and popped a lot but ive had it since last summer and once you get the tension right and break it in properly its very smooth, ive had some very good times with it. it only pops once every couple of days and i practice aaalot!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:30 pm 

The icon cube is difficult to solve before you change the stickers. the shades of gray are very close, but it is a great cube if you replace the gray stickers with cubesmith ones.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:24 pm 

White cube4you DIY a.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:06 pm 

I have been using a rubiks.com DIY cube lately, and have been very pleased with it. Although some of the pieces tended to pop initially, they rarely did so once I applied Silicone Lubricant and tightened the centers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:57 am 

Hi :-)

I have a DIY that is i guess 3 yrs old now and it still turns like a charm. I lowered my PB avg a full 5 secs compared with my old speedcube. That may not say much because that cube was really old and sanded to work reasonably well ;-)

I would just like to say that if your solving style is a bit "rough" you are most likely better off with a cube that has arched centers. This will lessen the number of pops considerably. I still did not pop with my DIY after all these yrs, and i used to pop A LOT.

When (if) you get your DIY cube, make sure to assemble it correctly and experiment a bit with the tension to see whay suits you best :-) Make every axis the same tension and make it a bit loose at first, then gradually tighten it until the tightness becomes a minor speed obstacle. As you wear it in it should become awesome :-)

- Per