Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Planets Puzzle algorithms
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:35 pm 

I would love to have a algorithm for my Planets puzzle because I accidently told my relatives that they could scramble it up. Stupid me now I know better!!!!! I guess if know one has one I guess I could wait until :wink: Jaap :wink: get's one so that he can put it on his site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:11 am 

Sorry, I have a question.
Is 'Planets puzzle' similarly of 'Puzzle Q' ?
http://torito.jp/shopping/_puzzle-q.shtml
(Sorry, this site was written by Japanese. Please check only photos.)

It looks similar puzzle, does Planets puzzle's each sphere have 6 hollows ?
If these two is same, I can solve it.
But there are three problems.

1)I can solve it when I solve it, but I didn't fix the solution. Some steps are trial and error.
2)The shape is difficult to draw for solution.
3)I can't use English well. :(

If you don't worry about my poor English and figures, and you can wait for a few days or a week, I'll try to make the solution, and upload to my site.

Post subject: Re: Planets Puzzle algorithms
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:47 am 

Hidetoshi wrote:
Is 'Planets puzzle' similarly of 'Puzzle Q' ?

That's the one.

Darren Grewe wrote:
I guess if no one has one I guess I could wait until :wink: Jaap :wink: get's one so that he can put it on his site.

I don't have one yet. Last week I was in my local puzzle shop, when they had just had boxes of new stock arrive. It was supposed to include the Planets Puzzle, but for some reason they didn't get them. So I didn't either . :cry:

I guess I'll just have to be patient. Anyway, this puzzle looks like it could be tricky, as it is in the family of bandaged puzzles.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:46 am 

I've been able to solve mine regularly. It's difficult to explain an algorithm because the spheres sometimes rotate around different points. The hints I have are:

Try to get each sphere put into a correct axis of orientation. What I mean by this is to put the sphere in place so when it rotates around, it can have a face on each side, rather then being crooked so a face is a little bit on another side.

Also, the secret is in the green and blue faces. Since they only have one crater, you'll want to get those placed in the middle first. In fact, looking at my solved one, try to get the blue face in the middle first and then work on the other faces. Once the blue one is there, it doesn't help much because the other craters never get to a contact point. The green one will neeed to rotate around to allow the remaining two to get in place.