Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help on getting faster
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:40 pm 

Hey
I'm new to the Rubik’s Cube I have only been cubing for about a month now and I average about 1 minute.(I think that’s good and I know that’s like slow motion to most of you here) I’m trying to get better but I don’t know where to start. What I do is solve F2L intuitively and that takes me about 40 seconds then I orient the last layer and solve. The LL takes me about 20 to 15 seconds. For the last layer I use common algorithms found on Macky’s site. Other than that that’s it. Where should I begin to get better? F2L? What’s the average time I should get for that? Any tips other than more practice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:46 pm 

The thing that always needs work is the F2L! Some of the top cubers get a 8s average for doing F2L. Try to minimize your moves with the F2L, so slow down and try look ahead. One of the reasons I think I am quite slow, is my F2L takes too many moves.

Once you learn all the algs for LL, thats all about repition and practice. Learning to recognize the patterns, and perform the associated algorithims, fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:49 pm 

What I do is that i so the first layer then the second should i do both of the layers at the same time? is so how do i do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:00 pm 

You should take a look at dans site, thats where I learnt from. There are other sites like mackys and many others out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:23 pm 

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:37 pm 

I am starting to learn the advanced F2L. and what you do is make the white cross on bottom, but instead of making the entire white side, you pair up the White corner w/ the second layer edge that goes above it. It sounds hard at first but once you get it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:39 pm 

I would sugest using any color for the cross that is closest to the cross.
that's what I do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:08 pm 

Myke wrote:
I would sugest using any color for the cross that is closest to the cross.
that's what I do

I do this too, but I've also gotten confused later in the F2L and inserted a wrong pair. I find that thinking about my cross color/looking for corners with that color helps. If I'm not consciously thinking about it, I'm liable to make a mistake.

4x4 single 1:32, avg 1:56
5x5 single 3:19, avg 3:50
6x6 12:00, 7x7 47:51, 8x8 34:10, 9x9 43:28
megaminx 4:57
To do: get faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:31 pm 

Location: Enschede, The Netherlands, First room on the left on the 2nd floor.
I use opposite cross, it was pretty easy to get used too and now if I have done a solve I don't even remember on which color I started, yellow or white :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:40 pm 

Erik wrote:
I use opposite cross, it was pretty easy to get used too and now if I have done a solve I don't even remember on which color I started, yellow or white :P

i once tried this, but i am so used to using white as my cross and looking for white corners that it messes up my F2L, which is pretty much the only thing that gives me the speeds that i have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:51 pm 

I mostly solve green face first, but occasionaly I solve from any colour and I can still about get the same times. F2L is the hardest when starting on a different colour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:28 pm 

joey wrote:
I mostly solve green face first, but occasionaly I solve from any colour and I can still about get the same times. F2L is the hardest when starting on a different colour.

lucky you, i'm stuck with white... and when i don't have a good cross, my times are usually increased by like 3 or 4 seconds :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:36 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
joey wrote:

lucky you, i'm stuck with white... and when i don't have a good cross, my times are usually increased by like 3 or 4 seconds :(

Multicolour crosses can be hard, all the surrounding colours are different!

Jason Thong has a good site, he is fully colour neutral, and says he goes for 3move crosses as an average!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:11 pm 

joey wrote:
Speedy McFastfast wrote:
joey wrote:

Multicolour crosses can be hard, all the surrounding colours are different!

Jason Thong has a good site, he is fully colour neutral, and says he goes for 3move crosses as an average!

that site is crazy... but he has some very valid points. I should look at color neutrality, it would really be something fun to use!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:47 am 

what happened to jason's site? How come it's back to the old stuff. He lost his site with the red background.

5x5x5: 4 min 56.65 secs eastsheen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:00 pm 

animefile wrote:
what happened to jason's site? How come it's back to the old stuff. He lost his site with the red background.

He says somewhere on it that he rewrote the whole thing. If there is a file you are looking for, you can email him to get it. But if it's just the colors, then oh well :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:08 pm 

keep working on the cross on one side before trying color neutrality. Also, try to gradually incorperate fridrich into your existing method

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:47 am 

gamemeister27 wrote:
keep working on the cross on one side before trying color neutrality. Also, try to gradually incorperate fridrich into your existing method

He can already do the cross, he gets times of 20s. To me thats a good time to see wether you want to go colour neutral or not. He also does full fridrich.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:28 am 

I would say do the cross on the side that seems the closest to the cross. I
started color nutral.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:54 pm 

Myke wrote:
I would say do the cross on the side that seems the closest to the cross. I
started color nutral.

when i first started cubing, i always did a white cross, because white was annoying to look at in the middle of a solve (pieces floating around).

i should be getting some new stickers soon, so i might not even have white on my cube anymore. this should help me be semi neutral, altho it is going to take a lot of work.

@joey- thanks, somebody is backing me up! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:33 pm 

Location: Enschede, The Netherlands, First room on the left on the 2nd floor.
Being totaly color neutral is a bit of wasted time I think. You can never inspect all 6 possible crosses in 15 sec of preinspection. 2 on the other hand is very doable and is profiting me pretty good...
Also only being able to solve on 1 color is not bad. I should worry about solving more colors unless you are approaching sub-15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:17 pm 

Erik wrote:
Being totaly color neutral is a bit of wasted time I think. You can never inspect all 6 possible crosses in 15 sec of preinspection. 2 on the other hand is very doable and is profiting me pretty good...
Also only being able to solve on 1 color is not bad. I should worry about solving more colors unless you are approaching sub-15

the one time that it would be good is if you have a case with half of a cross solved, then it could save you a lot of time on the F2L. Besides that, learning to be neutral would just be something fun to do :D