Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2945 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 59  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:15 pm 

Cubing is something that I do whenever I am on the computer, or when I'm not skating or tramping. If I get on the comp to talk to people, I usually have a cube with me... except for right now, I can't seem to find it.... Probably up in my room, and in that case I'm too lazy to fetch it just for a few solves :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:34 pm 

I just solved my megaminx for the first time without ever getting online help :D!
Just used the layer by layer method until i got to the top, then practiced some different permutation algs. Now to find the star pattern pretty pattern for it....

3x3,4x4,pyraminx,square1,magic,puzzle pen, megaminx, alexanders star, supercube, and orb-it.

Visit my site! http://www.geocities.com/nrt2700/
Supercube solution on it!
Accidentally put a bad link :( its fixed now

Last edited by nate2007 on Mon May 21, 2007 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:35 pm 
i just got my first sub 50 solve on a 3x3, my first sub 8 solve on a 5x5, and my first sub 7 on a megaminx. i am on fire today

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:01 pm 
i just solved a square one without a guide! i am on fire today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:50 pm 

Nice! Square-1 is a very hard puzzle. How did you do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:28 am 

Caleb wrote:
Pembo wrote:
I haven't cubed for 4 days.

How could you !!? :shock:

Well on Friday I was with the family and at school, on Saturday I was round my friends, and on Sunday I was round my friends and then trying to sort my PC out.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:47 pm 
qqwref wrote:
Nice! Square-1 is a very hard puzzle. How did you do it?
\

i used the poormans solution from speedcubing.com/ this teaches you what to do once you get it into a cube in just 4 algorithms. i did need to memorize six more algs from another guide to turn it into a cube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:01 pm 

Oh, so you just memorised the algs?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:13 pm 
yea, i only in the end had to do ten. still though, out of all the puzzles i have done (i have a friend with a massive collection of strange and rare mods or factory produced items) the square one is by far the hardest. i know you consider the skewb to be harder for some reason pembo, but i have to disagree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:15 pm 

emr1028 wrote:
i just solved a square one without a guide! i am on fire today!

That sentence makes you think that you solved it without any help, not by learning algorithms to solve it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:20 pm 

emr1028 wrote:
i know you consider the skewb to be harder for some reason pembo, but i have to disagree.

I have been trying to have another go at trying to work out a better method but it is hard, I don't like it :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:59 pm 
Pembo wrote:
emr1028 wrote:
i know you consider the skewb to be harder for some reason pembo, but i have to disagree.

I have been trying to have another go at trying to work out a better method but it is hard, I don't like it :(

i dont think the skewb is too hard. i solved it within an hour of solving it. with a square one, i spent nearly a month trying hours at a time to figure it out. but you can also argue that the skewb can be solved by using 3x3 references, while the square one is a completely different puzzle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:24 pm 

8:58 computer 6x6! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:26 pm 

Well, you can relatively easily solve a Skewb by only knowing one 4-move algorithm and some basic intuitive steps, whereas even a simple solution to the Square-1 requires much more than that.

Anyway... I've been doing blindfold for a couple of days (about a dozen solves in total), and my times have been steadily decreasing from about 6-7 minutes down to about 4:30 to 5 minutes, but I still haven't gotten a completely successful solve, and I don't feel like doing video analysis. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:52 pm 

qqwref, could you provide more information? Like 3-cycle or pochmann? Is it close, or complelty unsolved?

The problems either memo recall, or setup moves. We need to decipher the problem!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:24 pm 

emr1028 wrote:
Pembo wrote:
emr1028 wrote:

i dont think the skewb is too hard. i solved it within an hour of solving it.

I would've solved mine in 0 seconds after I solved mine :D. The square one is insanly hard, i looked up how to turn it into a cube, and now i'm stuck, so i'm back to my 3x3 learning plls algs. Algs learned 2 pll 2 oll (bout a month ago.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:25 pm 

The square-1 gets easier after getting it cuboid* shaped.

*measure it, it's not a cube ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:44 pm 
Pembo wrote:

technicaly it is supposed to be a cube. but i actually just measured mine and everywhere i measure it its 2 1/8 inches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:59 pm 

Pembo wrote:

Easy for you to say, I can't get the hammed thing into a cubiod/cube/wtf at all! I don't want to memorize an internet chart, but I can't figure it on my own... this is working great for me! Lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:47 pm 

joey wrote:
qqwref, could you provide more information? Like 3-cycle or pochmann? Is it close, or complelty unsolved?

The problems either memo recall, or setup moves. We need to decipher the problem!

I'm using a three-cycle method, orient first.

Some of the solves are close, one or two cycles away, and some are just totally messed up.

I don't think it's memo recall, though it might be. I tend to feel confident about what I remember during the solve, so assuming that I memorized the right thing (which isn't always true, apparently) I'll remember it correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:11 pm 
i just solved a 10x10 (comp)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:22 pm 

nice solve emr. I just got a 47.08 new pb on the cube, very lucky, but still that's awsome for me. 7 second lucky last layer. My f2l was extremly terrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:35 pm 

What's that? Zac has successfully done a K4 solve?? Why, I think so!

So, as of late Pembo has been teaching me LL commutators for the 4x4. I have learned the 3 cycle, and 3 cycle where edges aren't correctly oriented.

So I do the F3L (and discover it takes me 3 minutes just to do that :() and then start working on the LL. After messing up a 3 cycle, I fix it, re fix the F3L, and then work on the edges again. I do a 3 cycle, and end up with just two edge groups that need fixing. I do a 3 edge permute to move them on opposite sides of the LL, and then after using what I already know, I solved them! After doing the normal orient and permute parities, I solve the cube. Total time is 7 minutes.

Before you guys give me any crap, I know I don't do the LL correctly, that I should be solving individual edges, not grouping them. But I find it soooo much easier to group and then solve! I AM SO HAPPY!

Tonight is a good night for me, say goodbye to reduction and hello to K4!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:22 pm 
bcp on pcp wrote:
nice solve emr. I just got a 47.08 new pb on the cube, very lucky, but still that's awsome for me. 7 second lucky last layer. My f2l was extremly terrible.

thanks. i think 47 seconds is very impressive. my best non lucky time is the one in my signature. i have gotten sub-45 solves, but those were each so incredibly lucky that i don't count them. the 10x10 took 4 hours, but after doing a 5x5 you just need to figure minor things out for the bigger cubes and use some intuition, and itl be easy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:52 pm 

i'm stuck on my last four edges for my 5x5 :P . it is really annoying!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:08 pm 

bcp on pcp: You're using a reduction method, right? *SPOILERS BELOW*

The easiest method is to just use two algorithms: a parity algorithm and something like R F' U R' F, which flips an edge in place. If you use the second one and setup moves, you can always solve three of the edges bit by bit, and then you can use parity if you need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:04 am 

Location: Enschede, The Netherlands, First room on the left on the 2nd floor.
I've got a 3x3 avg of 12.58 today :D
it was craaaaazy :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:08 pm 

Whoa... awesome. I wish I was even 50% slower than you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:09 pm 

I really need to get faster with the 3x3....

I got a sub 20 solve last night! I try to get a sub 20 every 3 days or so, lol. I have also gotten my look ahead a lot better, now I can see pieces and anticipate what they are going to do when I am solving different ones. I am proud :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:30 pm 

I get a lot of sub-20 solves, maybe even enough for a sub-20 average if I get no more than one bad solve, but I still don't really consider myself sub-20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:22 pm 

I do not use reduction method, I use centers first as dictated on big cubes. com. First I got stuck on the centers, and now this! I might switch to a different method, I hate centers first. I also hate my cube but i'm not switching till I can solve it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:47 pm 

Location: Enschede, The Netherlands, First room on the left on the 2nd floor.
Centers, pair-up edges, 3x3 is the reduction method... you modify the cube so that you can solve it as a smaller cube, the 3x3 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:49 pm 

I am officially a sub 1 minute cuber with my average of 54.18 seconds! I also got a new best time during this average and it is unlucky. 45.62 seconds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:28 pm 

bcp on pcp wrote:
I am officially a sub 1 minute cuber with my average of 54.18 seconds! I also got a new best time during this average and it is unlucky. 45.62 seconds!

Nice man! Now get better with the 4x4! I'll bet that I can get faster with K4 than you can with reduction! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:12 pm 

I DON'T DO REDUCTION!!!!!!!! I do centers first!!! And I can't fix the freakin paritys and my 4x4 is broken anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:17 pm 

bcp on pcp wrote:
I DON'T DO REDUCTION!!!!!!!! I do centers first!!! And I can't fix the freakin paritys and my 4x4 is broken anyways.

YES YOU DO REDUCTION!!!

Reduction = CE3.

CE3 = Centres-Edges-3x3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:18 pm 

Oh.....I knew that I was testing you :oops: . Chris hardwick could beat you with reduction speedy. i'll try k4 when I get an east sheen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:28 pm 

16.30 non lucky cube solve, new non lucky PB

6 minute K4, new PB with that... Would have been better if I didn't mess up the LL...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:20 pm 
7:21.32 non lucky megaminx solve. new record

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:22 am 

bcp on pcp wrote:
Chris hardwick could beat you with reduction speedy.

Hardwick could beat most people.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:20 pm 

Hardwick could beat almost anyone at almost anything. :wink:

I did a 2:14.58 on my computer 5x5x5 today. I had to do it at school, though, since my mouse at home sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:16 pm 

My average is steadily dropping and I am ordering an eastsheen 4x4 because my rubik's one is two loose and broke twice (not the same piece either).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:36 pm 

Oh man, I broke 4 personal records today. Today is also my last day of high school, so I'm very happy. :D

10x10x10 computer cube - 17:13.556
3x3x3 blindfold - 6:00.31 (first succesful 3x3x3 blindfold solve!)
3x3x3 nonlucky single - 15.20
3x3x3 lucky single - 14.96

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:18 pm 

New K4 record: 3:25

So last night I couldn't get to sleep. At about 12:00 I gave up on sleeping, and decided to try to get my sq-1 back into a cube. Why sq-1? It's the only puzzle that is quiet enough not to wake others, and I don't need to see the colors to turn it into a cube.

I managed to cubify it twice, and it took little effort. Now that I am 100% awake, I can't manage it again...

So last night before I went to bed I was messing with technology. AKA my video camera on my cell phone. I took a video of me cubing, and stopped the cam. I watched the video, and was astonished to see that the total playback time was 20 seconds. The solve took less then 20 seconds! I can't put it on youtube, however, because I don't have a USB cable for my phone :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:47 pm 
my new megaminx record is 7:07! also, last night out of nowhere i got a 28.26 3x3 solve. usually my solves are in the 50 second range, sometimes over, and sometimes under. the solve wasnt even lucky. it just came out of nowhere!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:21 am 
i just got a new pb 3x3 average of ten of 52.34

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:19 am 

I solved high-school! :lol: Well, there are no classes or finals left for me, and the prom was last night.

I used a lot of complex algorithms, though, and the whole thing took about four years, so I don't think I'll be solving it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:18 am 

qqwref wrote:
I solved high-school! :lol: Well, there are no classes or finals left for me, and the prom was last night.

I used a lot of complex algorithms, though, and the whole thing took about four years, so I don't think I'll be solving it again.

Congrats man! I am hoping to do this sune :wink:

My friend, although she has no interests in cubing, is hoping to solve it in 3 and a half years! :shock:

I finally solved my square-1, although only with help from the internet. Hopefully I will get those last 3 algs down soon... I don't really understand the parity alg, so I'm going to have to work on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:24 pm 

I finally worked out the 5x5x5 :D So far the only puzzle I needed help with was the original 3x3x3 I got so much of it done though on my own I could get to a point where 2 corners needed orientation and the centers need to be switch like a U perm, I really believe i could have done it on my own but I was impatient, Oh well, also last night I got my new fastest solve at 47*seconds. Easy f2l was only 33 seconds, but has my slowest OLL and PLL combination, It was 3 looks for OLL I do to a plus and then know all the corner OLLs and a G-perm which is my slowest.

Congrats on Finishing Highschool :D

Last edited by Lee Gauthier on Sat May 26, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:25 pm 

Sorry Double Post.... Pressed Quote not Edit didn't notice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2945 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 59  Next