Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ryan Heise's Simulator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:52 am 

The coolest thing for cubing on the internet in my opinion :P. Do you guys use it alot? It's been a very convenient way for me to procrastinate on my homework, or if my cube is upstairs I can just use that instead.

But I was wondering how effective practicing on the simulator is compared to regular practice with an actual cube? Better? Worse? Similar? What do you think? I've noticed personally that even if I don't use my normal cube alot, but have been using the simulator, I don't lose too much speed for actual cubing. And I'm defiinitely getting faster on the simulator. I got my fastest time of 15.58 today, and a new average of 21.64 :D

PB Avg: 27.56

Virtual Cubing Awesomeness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:43 am 

I have a best time of 6 minutes :D I find any kind of simulator incredible difficult to use. I'm not sure why, but I just can't get my head round it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:13 am 

I also find the simulators hard to use. Its harder to find the pieces you want and probably has a higher learning curve for me.

5x5x5: 4 min 56.65 secs eastsheen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:53 am 

I'm faster on the simulator because I don't have to physicly turn the sides.

Individual Times: 14.17, 12.93, (12.89), 13.12, 14.00, 15.59, 16.23, 14.11, 14.03, (17.61), 14.75, 14.89

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:39 pm 

I haven't learnt the keys, but my fastest is 2:08.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:57 pm 

Im actually faster on the simulator.
I got a 2:35 on the blindfolded simulator when my best "real" BLD time was 2:29...
I got a sub-20 average on the simulator (twice, actually) before I did ith the real cube (yay hen I did!).

And: My best time on the simulator is 12.86, and I've gotten 3 sub-14's. My best time on the regular cube is 14.65, followed by a few 15's (allcounting lucky cases, though only the 12.86 really was).

For me, convincing evidence that the simulator is faster. I attribute it to to reasons: faster turning (no lockups, only "typos"), and being able to see through the cube.

By the way, no one linked to it yet: http://www.ryanheise.com/cube/speed.html

And yes, I also spend time on it when I stay up a bit late. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:11 am 

I definitely have a higher turns-per-minute speed on the simulator than I do with a real cube. My number of turns is a lot higher on the simulator - I haven't used the "generator" option yet to get some of my trickier algs down. But I average about 22s on the simulator and about 28s in real life. I'll probably break 20s avg on the simulator before I break 25s avg with my cube.

I can't imagine a better cube simulator - Ryan did an awesome job. Being able to see through the cube compensates a lot for not being able to tilt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:16 am 

dim5 wrote:
I definitely have a higher turns-per-minute speed on the simulator than I do with a real cube. My number of turns is a lot higher on the simulator - I haven't used the "generator" option yet to get some of my trickier algs down. But I average about 22s on the simulator and about 28s in real life. I'll probably break 20s avg on the simulator before I break 25s avg with my cube.

I can't imagine a better cube simulator - Ryan did an awesome job. Being able to see through the cube compensates a lot for not being able to tilt it.

so what is this "generator" option you speak of? Is it something that helps you learn the algs on the sim? because i have a horrible time getting below 7 minutes :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:25 am 

http://www.ryanheise.com/cube/generator.html

Like I said, I've never tried it, but it looks like you can set up an alg and then repeat it as much as you want in order to get it down. The biggest problem I have with the simulator is that if I get one keystroke switched in the middle of the algorithm I can't recovery without usually starting my solve over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:36 pm 

dim5 wrote:
http://www.ryanheise.com/cube/generator.html

Like I said, I've never tried it, but it looks like you can set up an alg and then repeat it as much as you want in order to get it down. The biggest problem I have with the simulator is that if I get one keystroke switched in the middle of the algorithm I can't recovery without usually starting my solve over.

ha, i broke sub 2 mins twice today. i'm working on how to remember what my algs are supposed to look like on this thing... this will be good for OH tho, since i have to go by the way the algs look :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:43 pm 

I haven't used the simulator recently, but I remember getting one sub-30 solve once I got used to the keys. This was over the summer, while I was still using a working corner method, so I bet I could do it faster than this now that I know Fridrich.

Are there any utilities out there to translate algs into keystrokes? If there isn't, I can make one. It would be useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:55 pm 

I think once you get used to the keys you wont need to know which ones you need to press for and slg. I know I don't :D

Individual Times: 14.17, 12.93, (12.89), 13.12, 14.00, 15.59, 16.23, 14.11, 14.03, (17.61), 14.75, 14.89

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:06 pm 

qqwref wrote:
I haven't used the simulator recently, but I remember getting one sub-30 solve once I got used to the keys. This was over the summer, while I was still using a working corner method, so I bet I could do it faster than this now that I know Fridrich.

Are there any utilities out there to translate algs into keystrokes? If there isn't, I can make one. It would be useful.

hey please do make one! that would be very useful indeed, i seem to have trouble with PLL... I'm thinking about taking the long way around the LL- cross, permute corners, orient corners, cycle edges. It would be nice because there are some algs that can be done very fast using a keyboard: F D F' D' F D F' D' U' D F D' F' D F D' F'. Ha, as long as i don't make a typo :D

Oh, and i got a 45 second solve! I should be able to get a sub 60 average soon! I have finally found something that i can beat Pembo at, for the moment anyways...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:56 pm 

They should make the keys more intuitive. Like making R turn the letter r. It would be cool if you could customize which keys make which turns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:05 pm 

Hor is making the R key turn r more intuitive?

The idea for the key layout is that the key placement is supposed to resemble the finger motions you'd do to do a move. It's a nice layout as it is - although I agree that it would be better if you could customize it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:21 pm 

Not everyone is an expert at touch typing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:09 am 

I haven't used the simulator in ages... My average seems to be around 17, just a bit slower than what it used to be. Once I battled with Gungz for 6 hours in a row without any breaks, this thing is very addicting. I remember at least two 10.xx solves without luck and one 9.xx where I did ZBLL (not sure if it was lucky).

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
F D F' D' F D F' D' U' D F D' F' D F D' F'

If you are going to use that alg, D' U' D = U' saves two moves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:39 am 

Johannes Laire wrote:
Once I battled with Gungz for 6 hours in a row without any breaks, this thing is very addicting.

:shock:
Were you not extremely tired? :)
I haven't seen any of Gungz solves on he simulator, is he as good as real life?

ps: Johannes, I added you to my list of cubing hereos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:58 am 

joey wrote:
Johannes Laire wrote:
Once I battled with Gungz for 6 hours in a row without any breaks, this thing is very addicting.

:shock:
Were you not extremely tired? :)

Yes I was, otherwise we would've kept going. :lol: We had quite a few long(ish) sessions, it was really fun!

joey wrote:

He averaged around 15 seconds IIRC. His best avg on the single-player is 16.62, but I'm sure that's really out-dated.

joey wrote:
ps: Johannes, I added you to my list of cubing hereos!

Wow... :oops: Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:31 am 

Johannes Laire wrote:
I haven't used the simulator in ages... My average seems to be around 17, just a bit slower than what it used to be. Once I battled with Gungz for 6 hours in a row without any breaks, this thing is very addicting. I remember at least two 10.xx solves without luck and one 9.xx where I did ZBLL (not sure if it was lucky).

Speedy McFastfast wrote:

i'm not sure if it would work tho... this move orients the corner in UFR, moves the next corner into place, and then orients that one. You might be right tho, i've never really stopped to find any better algs for this... i need orients that don't mess with corners' permutation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:38 am 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
Johannes Laire wrote:
Speedy McFastfast wrote:

i'm not sure if it would work tho... this move orients the corner in UFR, moves the next corner into place, and then orients that one.

Yep. But F D F' D' F D F' is enough to orient the corner, the D' at the end is not necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:53 am 

Johannes Laire wrote:
joey wrote:

He averaged around 15 seconds IIRC. His best avg on the single-player is 16.62, but I'm sure that's really out-dated.

15s, that seems slow for Gungz!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:36 am 

Those simulaters are too werid to use. its much easier to physically turn the cube for me. If anyone has trouble w/ tht just practice and learn some finger tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:08 am 

Location: Enschede, The Netherlands, First room on the left on the 2nd floor.
I love ryans sim, best time is 9.xx sec non-lucky, best lucky time is slower :P
It takes quite some time to get used to the new way of twisting the puzzle, but its quite natural after a while :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:02 pm 

Erik wrote:
I love ryans sim, best time is 9.xx sec non-lucky, best lucky time is slower :P
It takes quite some time to get used to the new way of twisting the puzzle, but its quite natural after a while :)

i agree, some algs are starting to come to me faster, i just need to work on my LL then i'll be good. My F2L seems to flow very nicely, altho i do sometimes lose track of where my cross has gone off to :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:13 pm 

i'm getting better w. simulaters. good for when your hands hurt from cubing. Not good for speed though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:55 pm 

i liked the sim when i was faster than pembo... but those days are over now, and besides that, i need to try to beat him with teh snake!