Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BLD 3x3
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:18 pm 

O.K. so I have just begun trying to blindsolve a cube. I'd say I'm doing pretty good for less than 1 days work.

So far, I can solve it (after writing down the 40 or less numbers needed for CO EO CP and EP, and maybe glancing at it from time to time. I'm only having one problem with it so far. 2 edge swaps and 2 corner swaps!

Are there any tricks to these? Right now I have a set up like this (I have no idea what the scramble was)

CO: (1 1 2 2)(1 0 1 1)
EO: (0 0 0 1)(0 0 1 0)(0 1 0 1)
CP: (1 2 4 5 7 3 6 8)
EP: (1 5 7 2 6 4 9 10 11 8 12 3)

I was doing fine until I got to the last 2 for CP and EP. It was down to (1 8) for CP and (1 3) for EP. I tried doing a series of 3-corner and 3-edge rotations to get them, but ended up messing most of the cube up instead.

Any tips on what to do when I get to those points?

(oh, and for CO 1 means clockwise 2 counterclockwise 0 nothing and EO 0 oriented 1 not oriented, in case its not the same as other people's system...)

I'm going to start trying it without notes by Sunday.

Phi Mu Delta
Nu Theta Chapter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:41 pm 

(D' R2 Y') (F R U' R' U R U R2 F' R U R U' R') (Y R2 D)

1 8 cp 1 3 ep

try to make up your own solution to weird patterns like these. learn more algs to get out of difficult situations.once you know every difficult case it becomes simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:25 pm 

I have run into odd situations where for CP I would have (a b) (c d) and i would do a 3-swap of a to b to c to a changing the CP to (a d c) when I ran into the situations with just 1 set of 2, I couldnt exactly use that, hah.

And, yeah, I guess learning new algs would help. As of right now, the only ones I use are:
clockwise corner roataion
counterclockwise corner rotation
2-edge flip
3 edge swap
3 corner swap

But to add to the statement before, not just in that one case (but thanks for the algorithm Kyle) but in any case where I have either just a pair of corners or just a pair of edges, is there a trick any of you use? I'm currently working on some things, so I might have it worked out before another comment comes in, but yeah... feedback would help. Hopefully i will be blindsolving by monday, sure it will be a 10 minute time, possibly more, but hey, i dont care, hah.

[edit]OK, so I just had a very good solve. I took notes, so I guess its not a legit solve, but taking the notes, memorizing from the paper, then never looking at it again I got a time of 4:21.65.

Phi Mu Delta
Nu Theta Chapter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:33 am 

(1 8) for CP and (1 3) for EP

this is a way to do it.

if your 1 Corner is UFR and your 8 corner is DBR then do a setup move of D2 L2 and get a N perm (L U' R U2 L' U R' )2 U. or you can do D L2 and get a T perm. the T perm you have to do a complete cube rotation counter clockwise then do (R U R' U') (R' F) (R2 U') (R' U' R U) (R' F'). then undo setup and your done. hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:06 pm 

O.K. So last night I made a little progress.

I didnt write anything down, but only did half at a time blindsolved. First memorized the CO and CP and executed it blind, then memorized EO and EP and did that blind as well. I can already tell memorizing EP is going to be a killer, but oh well, I'll find some tricks for that.

Oh, also, just one thing that probably would seem obvious to the experienced BLD solvers, but I found out that if you have (a b)(c d) and execute a 3 edge/corner (whichever it is) swap between a b and c, it becomes (a d c)

So that helps me when I come across situations with two double groupings (still only using the algs listed above, attempting to use as few as possible first, then use more to get better times)

Phi Mu Delta
Nu Theta Chapter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:50 pm 

EP is the easy part for me. with practice BLD is quite easy. my PB is 2:45.00 my average though is way higher at around 4 minutes. just keep with it and you will get good. i try to practice a few BLD's a day to help me stay in focus and to train my brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:29 pm 

Interesting way of remembering Orientation....

for edges, I just remember the edges that need flipping, and for corners, I use visual memory.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:12 pm 

I use numbers for EP.Everything else is just random memorization.

Has anyone else tried doing 1 or 2 moves to place edges before your actual memorization, so you alter the original scramble in your head.

Example: You see that doing R D will place all D edges so you memorize that first then you start from there on your real memo for the solve. Put on the blindfold and do R D, then do your normal solve.

I managed 4 moves like this just a moment ago and placed all but 4 edges before the real solve.I only had to memorize (3 6 5 11) (6 flip) and (8o 2o 1o 5g 6g 7w 5o 2r) for corners, but just the visual of it.

that was the whole solve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:06 pm 

Kyle_A wrote:
Has anyone else tried doing 1 or 2 moves to place edges before your actual memorization, so you alter the original scramble in your head.

I've thought about that, but never bothered to try. I think it could help a lot, but doing it quickly and accurately seems just very hard... If I ever get interested in BLD again I might give it a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:49 pm 

i will only do that if i can get away with it solving 4 or 5 pieces and it be a U or D move. its complicated adding in more moves on top of memorizing the entire cube. for speed it wouldnt be the best idea unless the pieces are almost correct. i have done it a few times but it solved like 4 or 5 pieces.