Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: F2L - Shortcuts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:47 am 

what sort of shortcuts do you use while you're putting in the corner edge pairs.
since i do the f2l's fairly intuitively there are often times where you can add/remove a U or U' to start of and algorithm and add/remove a U or U' in the middle of an algorithm. (i assume those shortcuts are fairly standard.
Here's a couple that i just realized last night, and while probabily not groundbreaking i thought i'd share.

Once the cross is complete, look at the middle layer and see if you have any edges in place and correctly oriented. you may be able to do D R U R' D' to place the corner.

for example white=D (cross completed) red = right, blue = front.
my orange/blue edge (FL) is already correct. blue/orange/white is located (UFR) with white on the R face. D R U R' D' allows me to place the corner. (note this does disturb the FR edge, so make sure that one is not already in place.)

now to take this one step furthere. suppos the conditions above apply plus white red green corner is in place and oriented in the BBR corner) and Red Green is at UB with red on the U.
D2 U B U B' D2 results in 2 corner edge pairs completed.

I think most of you can see what's going on here. The first example shouldn't be hard to recognize. The second may take a little longer to recognize but if you can keep the colors straight in your mind you can use any of the standard f2l algorithms to put a corner and an edge in two different spots. If you're like me though it might be quicker using the first example, followed by the standard algorithm to insert the edge.

I don't know if any of this makes sense to you guys, or if it will help you to shave off a fraction of a second or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:54 pm 

I understand what you mean, using an empty column to solve F2L, however, since I have the cross on the left, I don't find it easier to deviate from using memorised algorithms and improvise. Also, when you get down to sub20, you want to spend less time thinking on what you are doing than what you are going to do next.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Last edited by Pembo on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:02 pm 

Pembo wrote:
I understand what you mean, using an empty column to solve F2L, however, since I have the cross on the right, I don't find it easier to deviate from using memorised algorithms and improvise. Also, when you get down to sub20, you want to spend less time thinking on what you are doing than what you are going to do next.

You solve with cross on right? never new that... stupid lefty...

As for F2L tricks, i am still learning them now. I always just take the most obvious C/E pair (altho it's not paired together at this point!) and move it around so that i can put it in place with a quick alg. Basically i just pair stuff together as quickly as i can, and put it in place.

The funny thing is, i'm actually still learning tricks. I guess more and more stuff becomes more apparent to you after a few months...

Anywho, DO NOT give up learning hte F2L intuitively. I was sub 30 before i even looked at any of the "proper" algs, most of which i had figured out on my own. I think there were like 3 cases that i got help with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:48 pm 

oops my bad, I have it on left.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:57 pm 

Pembo, wtf are you doing awake that late? I was on MSN, but i didn't see you on... you need to get some sleep son, you've got school in the morn!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:03 pm 

I'm left-handed. Sometimes it's a burden.

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:29 am 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
Pembo, wtf are you doing awake that late? I was on MSN, but i didn't see you on... you need to get some sleep son, you've got school in the morn!

I'm off school this week,
as for why I am up at 2am, WoW and CS:S.

Clayne, why not put the cross on the bottom, I am guessing you can turn quite well with your right and left?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:45 pm 

lucky you, i just got back from a 5.5 day vacation due to snow... and i'm reaaaly tired :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:46 pm 

Clayne H. wrote:
I'm left-handed. Sometimes it's a burden.

I'm left handed too! And yes it can be a pain in the neck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:17 pm 

So what makes being left handed so hard? just adjust your algs to incorporate alot of L turns, and it should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:27 am 

Pembo wrote:
Speedy McFastfast wrote:

I'm off school this week,
as for why I am up at 2am, WoW and CS:S.

Clayne, why not put the cross on the bottom, I am guessing you can turn quite well with your right and left?

Ah, I didn't mean to imply that I do the cross on the right. I do, in fact, do the cross on the bottom.

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
So what makes being left handed so hard? just adjust your algs to incorporate alot of L turns, and it should be fine.

I've always cubed "right-handed" I guess, but it didn't feel like that to me. I just learned algs as they appeared.

There are other things that are a pain. Things being made for right-handers and such...sports when I played more of them for example. Books are initially for right-handed people, but I guess that's easy to get used to since you're introduced to it your whole life.

It really made learning musical instruments a pain. I ended up choosing to learn right handed, but not I wonder if my potential would've been greater if I'd learned it left-handed. Either way, I'm stuck with what I got cause I wouldn't be able to go back now.

I can't think of anything else, but I know it's there.

Oh...When you write, you get all sorts of graphite all over your hand. It happens with markers and some pens too.

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:14 am 

Hey Clayne, some of the greatest guitarists in the world played with their right even though they were left handed.
For example, Herman Li from DragonForce, check some of their videos out and see what I mean. (and yes he IS a lefty, but he grew up in a poor part of Hong Kong and couldn't afford a left handed guitar)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:56 am 

Pembo wrote:
Hey Clayne, some of the greatest guitarists in the world played with their right even though they were left handed.
For example, Herman Li from DragonForce, check some of their videos out and see what I mean. (and yes he IS a lefty, but he grew up in a poor part of Hong Kong and couldn't afford a left handed guitar)

what about Jimmi Hendrix? Didn't he play a right handed guitar backwards/upsidedown because he was left handed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:10 pm 

reeeech wrote:
what about Jimmi Hendrix? Didn't he play a right handed guitar backwards/upsidedown because he was left handed?

He did, like many other guitarists that are left handed.

Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:59 am 

Pembo wrote:

Haha, DragonForce!!!

And yeah, left handed guitars are expensive...

pb 22.19
pb avg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:19 pm 

can't you just re-string them to work left handed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:03 pm 

That's what Jimi did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:23 pm 

so why pay thousands of dollars if you can pay 20 and just restring it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:49 pm 

A $20 guitar will be complete rubbish, you pay for quality....
Think about it, a Rubik's brand, or a cheap Magic Cube knock off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:58 pm 

i meant get a decent guitar and just pay 20 dollars to buy new strings for it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:08 pm 

even a decent left handed guitar wont even hit the 1,000 dollar mark, let alone enough to consitute as "thousands of dollars". They are more expensive, but not that much more (unless of course you're getting an amazing guitar that happens to be left-handed).

And it only cost 20 bucks (or less) given you already have a right-handed.

Either way, my point wasn't that I wouldn't be able to find a way to play guitar left-handed. It's that I've already gotten so used to playing right-handed that it would be extremely hard to adapt to left.

pb 22.19
pb avg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:18 pm 

real men play the banjo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:24 am 

I'm not even gunna comment on that, except that banjos are actually very awesome instruments - Keytars and melodicas are too.

pb 22.19
pb avg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:17 pm 

Clayne H. wrote:
even a decent left handed guitar wont even hit the 1,000 dollar mark, let alone enough to consitute as "thousands of dollars". They are more expensive, but not that much more (unless of course you're getting an amazing guitar that happens to be left-handed).

Either way, my point wasn't that I wouldn't be able to find a way to play guitar left-handed. It's that I've already gotten so used to playing right-handed that it would be extremely hard to adapt to left.

Umm what type of guitar are you talking about?
A decent Fender (cheapest, but some of the best quality guitars) cost £500/$1000+

Then we get into Ibanez (for example), £1000+ a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:35 pm 

that's a joke, ibanez are cheap here in the us. fenders are very nice and usually more expensive than most models unless you get an "hecho en mexico" version, which are cheaper than the made in usa versions by quite a bit. ibanez aren't really that nice i've owned a number of guitars and ibanez's have been some of my least favorites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm 

Pembo wrote:
Clayne H. wrote:

Umm what type of guitar are you talking about?
A decent Fender (cheapest, but some of the best quality guitars) cost £500/$1000+

Then we get into Ibanez (for example), £1000+ a shot.

I don't know...maybe our idea of decent is different? I've found many guitars that I think are nice that were no more than $500, which could mean $100-$300(?) left-handed, which isn't reaching the 1,000 dollar mark even then.

pb 22.19
pb avg