Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

How fast can you solve the Megaminx?
1-2 minutes 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
2-3 minutes 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
3-5 minutes 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
5-8 minutes 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
8-13 minutes 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: Megaminx
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:37 pm 

I have been solving the megaminx for about... 2 weeks now, and I have my average time down to about 4 minutes. This is on one of those click into place megaminx, so I feel I could do better, but I wanted to know how fast some of you others are, and if you have any advice on speeding up time from where I am now, I know recognition is a huge thing for me, but do you build blocks or just solve one piece at a time? I'm assuming the faster of you build blocks...

Oh, and don't mind the randomness of the minute values in the poll, I just like the fibonacci sequence.

Phi Mu Delta
Nu Theta Chapter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:48 pm 

About 7 minute for me.

I am not sure if you are aware but the world record holder floats around these forums every now and then ;)

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:53 pm 

Pembo wrote:
I am not sure if you are aware but the world record holder floats around these forums every now and then ;)

Oh, I know all about Stefan, I've e-mailed him a few times to see if he could give me some info on getting a Meffert's minx or even some solving tips.

It would be amazing to solve a megaminx as fast as he can, it takes me about that long to get the first layer. I know that's the main thing I should improve for now...

He's pretty much the reason I put the 1-2 minute option, I know there are others who can, but are any of them in the forums?

Phi Mu Delta
Nu Theta Chapter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:08 pm 

My best time is just over 4 minutes. I need to get my Megaminx to turn better (but it's difficult...) and I should probably learn some real LL algs (I use commutators at the moment).

Two very fast speed solutions can be found at:
http://www.hio.hen.nl/~s98134/rubik/megaminx_index.html (Erik Akkersdijk uses this one)
http://grant.tregay.net/cube/solutions/megaminx/ (Stefan Pochmann uses a modification of this one)

Choose whichever one you want, really, but try to keep the order you do the colors in constant, so recognition is easier. Since you're only really using two or three faces when you pair up a corner and an edge, also, you should be looking for whatever piece(s) you will need next as you're doing each step. Since the Megaminx is so gigantic, lookahead is even more important than on the 3x3x3!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:04 pm 

I guess I use a variation of Grant's method then...

I only say a variation because I taught myself the megaminx, and looking at that site now, the LL edge algorithms (well one of them) looks familiar only because thats the one I found out, then got lazy and decided to use that one until it worked fully, lol, I think I have to repeat it 4 times max to orient the LL edges completely.

Just above 4 minutes is great, my record until yesterday was 4:10.xx and then out of nowhere I started getting sub-4 times, best being 3:27.xx whatever's listed in my signature. (edit; time improved A LOT in the past 2 days)

Still need to find a meffert's minx though... or just make my own that doesnt have "click-into place technology".

Phi Mu Delta
Nu Theta Chapter

Last edited by GarrettDickerson on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:50 am 

What advantage over the speedcubing.com lists does this poll have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:02 am 

Stefan wrote:

For my sake, it shows some of the more sociable cubers who are willing to share their methods for the megaminx. Instead of e-mailing each individual person on that list asking if they would be willing to give pointers (because I'm sure there are many that would reply with a "screw off"), this would allow the ones who actually do to do so in a more public fashion, also allowing a more broad discussion than between 2 individuals through e-mail.

Phi Mu Delta
Nu Theta Chapter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:55 am 

Yes, if only Stefan would set up a web page where he would talk about speedsolving the Megaminx. Or maybe he could at least take the time to tell use where he gets springs and washers.

Post subject: Re: Megaminx
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:10 am 

GarrettDickerson wrote:
do you build blocks or just solve one piece at a time? I'm assuming the faster of you build blocks...

I build blocks, but I'm not too much into speedsolving. I prefer solving for fewest moves, I average around 100-120 in 10 minutes. But I've done maybe 10 speedsolves, best was ~2:30 and average slightly below 3. Usually I solve everything but 2-3 corners intuitively and then use a commutator to solve those. And of course I'm color neutral.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:09 pm 

GarrettDickerson wrote:
Stefan wrote:

For my sake, it shows some of the more sociable cubers who are willing to share their methods for the megaminx.

Hmm, I don't quite see how the poll helps with that. I still only see anonymous numbers of time ranges.

P.S. Do you have a brother called Frank?

P.P.S. Johannes, you should really get into megaminx speedsolving. I had already thought so because of how efficiently (number of moves) you solve the 3x3. I'll try 10 minutes fewest moves megaminx, but I don't think I can get as low as you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:07 pm 

Stefan: The poll is an addative, if you actually read my first post within this thread it asked for tips on speedsolving the megaminx.

No offense (if it's possible to say this without offense), but more and more you are seeming like the type of person from that speedcubing list who would respond with a big "screw off". I don't know what I did to you, but your comments have a superior air to them and I don't know why you feel you can talk down to me. If it's because you are better at the megaminx, I don't care that you are the world record holder, that's just a time, nothing more.

And yes I do have a brother Frank, he's a pretty good speedcuber, kind of against comps though, dont ask why... I guess he doesn't want people to know about him? Did you see that name in the Sunday Contest from last week? I think thats the first time he's been open about cubing (to people other than close friends) and it was just to show me up...

[edit]
I'm also curious as to why this thread (with a poll) is the only one you decide to bash when there are plenty of others about different twistypuzzles records people have.

[edit #2]
I'm actually quite amused by the irony in this... I was just scrolling through your site Stefan, and went to the About Me section as I hadn't before, and I found this...
"These can all be summarized easily: Lack of respect. In the perfect world I'm dreaming of, people would have respect for each other and nature. From that, all the above and more would be gone."

I think it's ironic that you feel everyone should respect each other yet your comments to me so far show nothing but the lack thereof. I'm sorry if I'm reading far too much into these comments, but my general feeling about them is that you don't like me and I don't know why.

Phi Mu Delta
Nu Theta Chapter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:09 pm 

No one here "doesn't like you", first of all.

secondly, I believe that the comments above pretty much center around the idea that these recent posts (not only by you) can really be found by performing a simple forum search, or even a google search. The forum (being up for a while, as it is) is a very very vaulable information resource that I'm sure we all treasure. When these overly redundant threads pop up again and again, I'm sure we all feel like this forum is losing its focus or its professional, intellectual atmosphere, per-se.

And yes, there are (MANY) other threads that you specified could be "bashed". They're not because we've told the posters before the same thing we're telling you now, or its just not worth wasting time to do so.

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:31 pm 

Quinn: Now I'm sure that no one here "doesn't like me" as grammatically incorrect as that is, only becasue I searched Stefan's previous posts, and it seems he has that same air of superiority in ALL of them. Sure, he probably doesn't hate me or anything, but I'm not going to respect someone who speaks as if he is better than everyone else just because of the amount of time he has been involved in twistypuzzles.

Also, I had done a forum search before posting this thread, and I went through the first 2 pages of listed threads and didnt really find too much, so I decided to post this (I was lazy that night and didnt want to search too much).

And as far as the other threads, mine at least asks for advice on speedcubing, there are 2 polls below mine on the page that only ask about the times for specific cubes. Yes, I know this thread might seem redundant to most, but I've been here little over a few weeks, and when searching havent seen many megaminx speedsolving posts. I had hoped for this to be a positive thread gaining knowledge on how to possibly get sub-3 minutes on the low-quality mega I have, but its seeming moreso now that its causing more argument than anything else.

Lastly, these forums have been around for a while, do you think there is anything that hasnt already been covered? I'm sure searching back long enough, even the posts you might make are redundant. Other than current events, I'm sure there arent any original posts anymore, so is having a megaminx poll and advice thread come around when its not in the search for 2 pages really such a bad thing?

I respect the focus that is trying to be maintained in these forums, but so far, the most I have seen in them is older members scolding the newer ones for re-posting things or not doing things the proper way, or in Stefan's case, talking down to them. I don't mean to seem like I know everything that goes on in these forums, because I dont, this is just what I feel I have seen so far.

Blogan: I just read your post now, I realize Stefan has a whole site on it, I've talked with him before about the megaminx, and he's referenced me to his site then as well, but if I was just looking for his input (which I doubt he would at this point), then I would have e-mailed him personally or PMed him, this thread was set up so ALL twistypuzzle members could give their input if they wanted, not just the world record holder.

[edit (making this wayyy too long)]

Quinn, I searched and found your post of multiple threads on Megaminx solutions, and I'm just saying this to prevent you from doing it on this thread as well. I'm not looking for a solution, I know how to solve it. I'm looking for methods within solving it that are faster. My solution is essentially the same one Stefan uses, so I'm pretty sure any other method would be inferior, I'm just looking for little tricks people might do, or things they look for.

Phi Mu Delta
Nu Theta Chapter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:14 pm 

Well Hello there. Hmm I'd like to try and make a contributing post.. but thats not possible. Im patiently awaiting a 'minx from mefferts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:32 pm 

Cubeaddict wrote:
Well Hello there. Hmm I'd like to try and make a contributing post.. but thats not possible. Im patiently awaiting a 'minx from mefferts...

Uwe e-mailed me back and said his megaminxes wouldnt be back in stock until much later in the year. He plans on marketing a few newer puzzles before getting the megaminx back full-throtle(sp?), so you might actually want to get one of those rip-offs for now, unless you can find someone who is selling Meffert's minxes, and then you would want to tell me who that is :wink:

Phi Mu Delta
Nu Theta Chapter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:42 am 

Nah, I really don't hate or disrespect you. Don't know you enough for that. What I do dislike is small talk and stuff that just wastes resources (time, webspace, etc... but mostly people's time).

My comment was simply "What advantage over the speedcubing.com lists does this poll have?". For me that's just a concise way to 1) say that the poll offers relatively little information compared to the speedcubing.com list and 2) ask you why you don't think so. It was not emotional and not about respect. And don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the thread itself. But the poll... I don't see its point and find it distracting (did at least distract me from the rest of your initial message).

My lack of desire to fondle people might play a role, I like to express things in concise and sometimes arousing ways. Don't confuse that with disrespect. What I say is usually intended to improve communication quality and make things better for everyone. Also has nothing to do with what I have or haven't achieved in this or that area, particularly my cubing doesn't affect how I think about communication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:33 pm 

Stefan wrote:
Nah, I really don't hate or disrespect you. Don't know you enough for that. What I do dislike is small talk and stuff that just wastes resources (time, webspace, etc... but mostly people's time).

People can make small talk if they wish, it is part of being a community... Just skip that part when you read a thread.

Quote:
My comment was simply "What advantage over the speedcubing.com lists does this poll have?". For me that's just a concise way to 1) say that the poll offers relatively little information compared to the speedcubing.com list and 2) ask you why you don't think so. It was not emotional and not about respect. And don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the thread itself. But the poll... I don't see its point and find it distracting (did at least distract me from the rest of your initial message).
I found it useful actually. Perhaps not everyone knew about the lists on speedcubing.com. And no one is forcing you to look at the poll.

And I do agree with what Garrett said earlier. I remember several times reading posts by you, and thinking that your comments came across as if you think you're superior and whatever the other person said or did was foolish and unintelligent. I'm just letting you know, I mean no offense. :D

PB Avg: 27.56

Virtual Cubing Awesomeness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:36 pm 

I have to change the springs on mine then I can time myself. Should I modify the
springs or should I just replace them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:24 am 

Maybe it's just me but I didn't see anything condescending about Stefan's statements in this or other threads. If someone were to ask me "What advantage over the speedcubing.com lists does this poll have?" in real life, unless he said it with a negative tone in his voice, I would think it just a normal question. Unfortunately, on the internet, it's difficult to tell based on text the tone of the poster when he writes something. I guess that's why emoticons were invented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:04 pm 

ClarenceCuasay wrote:
I guess that's why emoticons were invented.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NVOFmu2ZIqI
Emoticons are annoying, used by people who don't stand behind what they write, as a slippery excuse. Personal opinion, of course. I deliberately don't use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:52 pm 

I'm not sure if using a smiley is so negative. Over-usage CAN be annoying, though. And lets not even get into "lol".

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:45 am 

stefan that video is the best