Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tricks of the fingers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:41 am 

Ok, so i thought that i was doing good with my finger tricks.... which basically involved triggers... Anywho, what else could you guys suggest to get me faster?

EDIT: here is a vid so that you guys can see what i do now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqJyUNJpuKs

this kind of solve is what i usually get, a high 30's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:19 am 

It seems to me that some of your triggers, you pull the U face with your finger and then your hand leaves the cube. It seems as though it is a big almost swing, like you are almost trying to punch yourself or something, well, not that bad, but try to keep your hands on the cube at all times.

Also, is your cube lubed? It seems very slow, try increasing your turning speed. Also, your cubie search time is pretty bad, I mean don't get me wrong, your times are better than mine probably, but ever still, your delays are killing you, it seemed to me you spent about 2 seconds on your OLL recognition, it takes me like .005 seconds, well not that fast :lol: but I am I think possibly a little faster than yours. So speed up that, maybe re-lube your cube, and keep your hands on your cube!

Also if you have trouble with your left hand trigger, I do, I am right handed, if you have trouble, I use my right hand thumb for the U'. Like do R U', I would reccomend just using your right hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:23 am 

Not bad. It looks like you're putting a lot of energy into those finger tricks. Is your cube still kind of hard to turn?

The end looked really good, btw.

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:29 pm 

cuben00b wrote:
try to keep your hands on the cube at all times.

I think this is a very important piece of advice. You're not gaining any time by doing a very hard U turn if it takes you a bunch of time to get your hand back into a good grip.

You've probably heard this before, but avoid re-gripping as much as possible. When you are looking around for a piece, you turn the cube over in your hands... see if you can look by just tilting the cube and not moving your hands. The key to a consistent, fast pace is to keep your hands ready for the next move all the time. And the less you move the cube, the faster your eyes will be able to spot the next piece or recognize PLL and OLL cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:31 pm 

cuben00b: my cube is lubed, and i've always considered it kindof fast and very easy to turn... this just goes to show that i really really need a DIY now...

dim5: thanks, i'll remember to just tilt the cube... most of the time i'm looking for edges, so i guess i'll have to remember that there are only a few dif spots it can be in...

anyone else: any more suggestions? every little bit would help me out a lot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:49 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
cuben00b: my cube is lubed, and i've always considered it kindof fast and very easy to turn... this just goes to show that i really really need a DIY now...

dim5: thanks, i'll remember to just tilt the cube... most of the time i'm looking for edges, so i guess i'll have to remember that there are only a few dif spots it can be in...

anyone else: any more suggestions? every little bit would help me out a lot

Also, Well, like F and F' are tough for me, so I like to rotate my cube 90 degrees and use them as a L or L' or a R or a R' which works best. And usually without regripping, or if so, very little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:52 pm 

there are no fancy finger tricks for L or R face turns, right? all you do is turn the face, setting up your fingers for the next turn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:46 pm 

if I did a single R turn, i have my fingers on the DR pieces, and my thumb on the UR edge and turn, that sets my pointer finger up on the URB piece, perfect for trigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:52 pm 

uhhh wouldn't that be R'? not unless you are twisting your wrist around for an R turn...

wow, you are in ever forum i am cuben00b, lol. i don't know whether to call you a stalker, or an active member. :wink: i'm really hoping it's the second one :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:17 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
uhhh wouldn't that be R'? not unless you are twisting your wrist around for an R turn...

wow, you are in ever forum i am cuben00b, lol. i don't know whether to call you a stalker, or an active member. :wink: i'm really hoping it's the second one :D

what other forums do you belong to? and no i am not a stalker of you. i don't stalk, and I hope that no one stalks me. :P

... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:54 am 

oops, didn't mean forum, meant thread.

before i get accused by somebody, i am also not a stalker! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:30 am 

cuben00b wrote:
It seems to me that some of your triggers, you pull the U face with your finger and then your hand leaves the cube. It seems as though it is a big almost swing, like you are almost trying to punch yourself or something, well, not that bad, but try to keep your hands on the cube at all times.

Fridrich herself does U like that ;)
http://www.ws.binghamton.edu/fridrich/V ... up1648.avi

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:24 pm 

Fridrich does U's like who, me or the rest of everyone?

(i would watch the vid, but i'm on *gasp* dial up right now)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:40 am 

HA dial up sucks, no offense, i am sitting on Verizon FiOS right now...5mbps download speed, ha ha beotches!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:45 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
Fridrich does U's like who, me or the rest of everyone?

(i would watch the vid, but i'm on *gasp* dial up right now)

Like the way cuben00b explains you do them.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:32 pm 

Ya like pulling your hand off of the cube, you are supposed to, well at least I do it, via triggers, just use your pointer finger on the BRU piece, and like a gun trigger pull towards you, and don't take your hand off of the cube!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:59 pm 

I recomend more thumb work. if you do R' U with a trigger then try R U' by pushing the corner with your thumb. to do R U2 I do the thumb push then I do an extra turn with me left pointer finger. So I'm doing R U' U' but really fast.

Individual Times: 14.17, 12.93, (12.89), 13.12, 14.00, 15.59, 16.23, 14.11, 14.03, (17.61), 14.75, 14.89

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:00 pm 

I use the thumber 2/3 of the time over my left hand trigger...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:32 am 

yeha, but it feels awkward for me to turn my hand that way in order to use my thumb... maybe i should just get used to it? lol