Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Megaminx
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:46 am 

The Megaminx I have now is a good puzzle (tiled from Mefferts) but doesn't want to turn unless it has to. It's literally impossible to do one-handed. Since I want to use it for speedsolving, I need to find a way to get it to turn better... does anyone know how?

Please don't just post a link to Stefan Pochmann's page - I've read it, but it doesn't help me much because I don't know what springs would be good or where to get them. (Of course, if you do know that, it would be very helpful.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:17 am 

O crap, wrong post sorry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:20 am 

Well, lubrication, ya, um, maybe try sanding out some of the manufacturing imperfections. Otherwise, I can't really help you, Maybe just try just turning one face over and over to kind of break it in. X 12 of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:22 pm 

there was a post awhile ago, stating that sometimes the megaminx are a hit or miss from meffert's...

but the one I use all the time, has had to been broken in for a long time. i twist/turn it pretty much everyday for a few months before it turned easier. still probably not great for speedcubing, but i can turn it with one hand without it locking up.

so either get another one and hope it'll be better, twist/turn it for a long time to break it in, or go to stefan's page :P and find the springs you need to mod the 'minx....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:31 pm 

From what I heard, there really isn't any other way to speed up a megaminx other than getting different springs, lubing it and sanding the edge pieces. From what I've read that's what a lot of the speed Megaminxers do.

I'm in the same boat. I didn't want to replace my springs but it turns out I may eventually have to do that. Just waiting till I find the right springs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:07 pm 

I've already done lubing... sanding is easy, but I'm not going to bother until I get better springs. That will only make it lock up less, not turn better.

I wonder if Stefan said anything about the springs on the Yahoo speedcubing group... *searches*
Stefan linked to viewtopic.php?t=5516
The topic creator says he uses
springs from http://www.federnshop.com (D-077)
washers from http://www.skiffy.com (041030240952).

Maybe we should do some kind of group order...? The washers only come in packets of 1000 and the topic creator used ~72 for a Megaminx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:24 pm 

Very Good Idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:47 pm 

Anyone know if the Omega Studios spring kits will work on the Megaminx?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:14 pm 

Think I asked that a while ago here on the forums, I forget the answer though, I'll email him.

EDIT, So anyone doing this, I know I would probably get 1 Megaminxes worth of springs and washers...It would be nice if this person would be in the US, then shipping to US people would be cheap and quick