Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Textured or Normal? Black or White DIY?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:56 pm 

OK, I am thinking about getting a DIY cube.

2 questions.

1. I hear that Textured tiles are actually MORE slippery than Normal tiles, from cubesmith, like something about your hands and moisture and stuff...all I can say is that I have very acidic hands...like they produce acidic oils...all I can contribute...so which would be best for me? Or should I stick with stickers?

2. I have a Black cube right now, but I was thinking of getting a White DIY, are there issues with people having 1 color and then going to another? White look awesome, but will it be harder recognizing colors or something?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:22 pm 

1. Non-textured tiles
2. It depends on what method you use. If you use Fridrich with white cross, stay with a black cube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:12 pm 

Definitely stay with non-textered. If anything I think it would just get annoying.

And although white looks cool, I think I would stick with black for *serious* cubing.

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:30 am 

Yup, I have a black DIY in the mail with PVC stickers. I have used a white cube before and it makes it really hard for me to spot the white while I am making the cross. But then again, you could always get red tiles instead of white ones from cubesmith. It also comes with lube, but I heard it was crap, so i will continue to use my silicon based lubricant spray I got from the local hardware store. I can't wait! Hey, by the way, does anyone know if you need to glue on the center tiles with the DIY kits from rubiks.com? I hope not because I want to be able to take them back apart later. And also, when I am dissassembling my DIY cube, should I do it the normal, remove an edge first way, or should I take off the center tile and un-screw it?

Thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:03 am 

don't glue on the center caps, you want to be able to adjust it. also, just take an edge off the normal way.

PB Avg: 27.56

Virtual Cubing Awesomeness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:19 am 

Cool, thanks! I heard with some DIY's the center came off when solving sometimes, but this ones better I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:24 am 

I have a white DIY and its awesome. Its a little weird at first, but it takes no time at all to get used to it. I like it, and it looks cooler.

And I have textured tiles. And once again, its a little weird to get used to, but they're still really great.

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66
3x3 OH PB = 2:51

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:43 am 

o great mixed messages, well i make a green cross so idk...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:38 am 

ChrisD wrote:
I have a white DIY and its awesome. Its a little weird at first, but it takes no time at all to get used to it. I like it, and it looks cooler.

And I have textured tiles. And once again, its a little weird to get used to, but they're still really great.

I'm with you 100% Chris - I WAY prefer tiles over stickers, ANY day.

I have a white and a black DIY, and my white is better to speedcube with, though pattern recognition takes a little more work lol (read: Practice)

I can do my white one and my black one in the same amount of time and it only took about an hour to get used to as well.

Honestly it's all about preference - which is my recommendation - try stuff out and see what you like!

:)

PB Time 2x2x2 - 7x7x7: 6.08, 14.76, 1:31.47, 2:18.09, 5:32.28, 7:44.81
PB Average 3x3x3 Average: 19.46 (of 5)
Started speedcubing: Aug 15th, 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:19 pm 

enigmahack wrote:
ChrisD wrote:

I'm with you 100% Chris - I WAY prefer tiles over stickers, ANY day.

I have a white and a black DIY, and my white is better to speedcube with, though pattern recognition takes a little more work lol (read: Practice)

I can do my white one and my black one in the same amount of time and it only took about an hour to get used to as well.

Honestly it's all about preference - which is my recommendation - try stuff out and see what you like!

:)

yeah, i would be easily swayed to say that tiles are the Ferrari Enzo of speedcubing "sticker" preference. lol

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:29 pm 

OK, that does it for me.

Tiles it shall be.

Post subject: Black & Textured
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:23 pm 

I personally prefer textured tiles, but i dont mind the normal ones either... on the color subject... I think taht white is cool and all but it isn't all "sleek" so I stick with the black... Yes... It might be a serious concern because of the color change... If you really want it, just do it but you might have to work at it...

FireWezul

<b>3x3x3 Best Average: 0:30.9
3x3x3 Best Solve (Unlucky): 0:21.xx
3x3x3 Best Solve (Lucky): 0.20.xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:44 am 

Ya, none of the world record holders use white cubes to my knowledge and I also can see this happening.

(cuben00b at school, cubing with his new white cube)
Hey cuben00b what is up with the white cube, you got a new one?
Yup
why is it white?
it is custom off the internet, I thought it looked bad-azzzzzzzzz
(there could be 2 answers, ya dude that is sooooooo sweet! Or, dude, you ordered a custom cube off of the internet just so it would be white, you are such a geek/nerd/wuss/n00b/other words i may not be able to say on the forums.)

Don't think I will take that chance.

It will be tough enough to explain the textured tiles that say Cubesmith on them....

Also I wouldn't dream of saying it is a DIY, or shipped from China, cuz I would then have to explain about the center tightness and the shipping is only from china. they would be like, you got it from china you are a freakingn00bstain. Like bring a white cube to school I don't know how well that would play out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:12 am 

You really think this way? :shock:
Not what is the best cube for you, but the best cube to represent in public? :roll:

Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:59 pm 

True, I haven't seen many videos of world record holders solving with white cubes. But nonetheless I have seen a handful of fast speedcubers solve with whitey's. For example
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TC7-lgyoA54

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:25 pm 

quite true, quite true, but it seems to me this is kinda like the eastsheen rubiks thing, the White look cool, but in the long run you need a black one. i know that analogy sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:57 pm 

Any bad impression to be made will be made by having the cube and repeatedly solving it rather than by the color of the cube. ;)

My most used cube is a mix, the core is from a studio cube, then centers are arched ones from a cut-up 25th anniversary and the cubies are white DIY ones from rubiks.com. My second is a white DIY with arched centers.

The white cubies seem the smoothest of all the ones I have.

There is a post around from Stefan about the paper technique for the centers, it works well. I've been trying the same thing using double sided tape but the tape is a bit too thick.

viewtopic.php?p=25114

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:37 pm 

AndrewSeven wrote:
Any bad impression to be made will be made by having the cube and repeatedly solving it rather than by the color of the cube. ;)

My most used cube is a mix, the core is from a studio cube, then centers are arched ones from a cut-up 25th anniversary and the cubies are white DIY ones from rubiks.com. My second is a white DIY with arched centers.

The white cubies seem the smoothest of all the ones I have.

There is a post around from Stefan about the paper technique for the centers, it works well. I've been trying the same thing using double sided tape but the tape is a bit too thick.

viewtopic.php?p=25114

my diy came with perfect sized paper square. and i use those to hold the centers in. works perfectly

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:45 am 

white looks a little cool... but i overall think that black looks better, lol. i guess there is no problem for me to decide what color cube to get... if they made cubes with green plastic, however...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:37 pm 

I just got a black DIY with PVC stickers from rubiks.com, and I have broken it in a bit (~100 solves) and lubed it, and it is TONS better than my other normal cube!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:20 am 

My DIY's are sitting at the post office... I'll try to stop there tomorrow but who knows if i'll have time. I have some cubesmith non textured tiles waiting for the cubes.

Any thoughts on breaking them in.

My current plan is.

put it together.
move pieces around just enough to get a quick feel for how it moves
take apart and lube it
put it back taogther
work in the lube.
clean of the faces.
the finally put the tiles on it.

should i change any part of the order for that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:02 am 

Joe Schmoe wrote:
My DIY's are sitting at the post office... I'll try to stop there tomorrow but who knows if i'll have time. I have some cubesmith non textured tiles waiting for the cubes.

Any thoughts on breaking them in.

My current plan is.

put it together.
move pieces around just enough to get a quick feel for how it moves
take apart and lube it
put it back taogther
work in the lube.
clean of the faces.
the finally put the tiles on it.

should i change any part of the order for that?

That's basically what I did.

Btw, my white cube is exceptionally good. My black one needs some work and/or just isn't as good as the white.

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:03 pm 

i'm waiting for my new white DIY to get here... the only problem is, it's probably not going to be as good as my speed cube right away. i've taken the time to break this thing like crazy (i became sub 60 with it, i'm sub 30 now) so my new cube isn't going to compare to this one, until i break it in that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:03 am 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
i'm waiting for my new white DIY to get here... the only problem is, it's probably not going to be as good as my speed cube right away. i've taken the time to break this thing like crazy (i became sub 60 with it, i'm sub 30 now) so my new cube isn't going to compare to this one, until i break it in that is.

You may be surprised..

pb 22.19
pb avg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:07 am 

Clayne H. wrote:
Speedy McFastfast wrote:

You may be surprised..

He's right, when you give your DIY the correct tightness/looseness, and spray some silicone, that baby will flyyyyyyyyy :D

PB Avg: 27.56

Virtual Cubing Awesomeness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:18 am 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
if they made cubes with green plastic, however...

There's a local place nearby that sells knockoff cubes and they have them in white plastic, red plastic, and LIME GREEN plastic. I plan on buying the green one (maybe all three) tomorrow and seeing how they work. If you'd like me to buy you one, I'll buy it for you ($5) and if you can cover basic USPS shipping, I'll send it to ya. There are only like, 3 or 4 of them there, though.. So I can't buy like a million for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:47 am 

nytelyte wrote:
Speedy McFastfast wrote:
if they made cubes with green plastic, however...

There's a local place nearby that sells knockoff cubes and they have them in white plastic, red plastic, and LIME GREEN plastic. I plan on buying the green one (maybe all three) tomorrow and seeing how they work. If you'd like me to buy you one, I'll buy it for you ($5) and if you can cover basic USPS shipping, I'll send it to ya. There are only like, 3 or 4 of them there, though.. So I can't buy like a million for everyone.

ok, you've got my attention. but i don't want to fully commit to the cube if it's a knockoff that isn't any good... that, and my paypal account has no money, and i don't have a visa prepaid card to fill it with :( (they are minimum of 50 dollars to buy, i think... i have -5...)

when you get one, could you tell me how good they are? i might work up some money, and i really don't think that a store will run out of cubes quickly, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:48 am 

Daniel W wrote:
Clayne H. wrote:
Speedy McFastfast wrote:

You may be surprised..

He's right, when you give your DIY the correct tightness/looseness, and spray some silicone, that baby will flyyyyyyyyy :D

sorry for the double post, but i've got stuff to reply to and i'm nto good at quoting 2 different people in one post...

Daniel, i hope you are right. my cube right now seems to be really really good, as good as any DIY (or so i think). i guess that the only way to really tell is to wait until my DIY gets here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:14 pm 

I sugest instead of buying the 3 cubes you should but a good cube because
I'v had one cheap cube die on me because the axel wore out. The kernel is
a ball and socket joint and you can't adj. the tention.

My favorite animal is the Pfargtl.