Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: cross on left or bottom
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:09 pm 

Cross on left=finger tricks.

Cross on bottom=looking ahead is easier.

which should i start learning?

Also, what about, look ahead with cross on bottom, then transfer to cross on left and perform alg? is that good?

what should i do?

P.S. I want a Master Magic...bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:19 pm 

I usually do cross on left, and then from F2L and onward, i keep it on the bottom from there on out.

you can do lots of finger tricks with cross on bottom and cross on left, so i dont think that would effect it. and yes, you can look ahead better with cross on bottom.

many professionals suggest getting in the habit of solving with cross on bottom, because it helps to look ahead and you can keep it on bottom for the rest of the solve when doing F2L, and then OLL and PLL.

so i would say cross on bottom. because thats what im trying to get used to

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66
3x3 OH PB = 2:51

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:29 pm 

funny about cross on bottom is the the last 2 world record holders i believe hold cross on left during F2L. Toby Mao 10.48 and Leyan Lo 11.13

I dont know about Jean Pons or Macky who are the 2 previous world record holders. 11.75 and 12.11 respectively

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:39 pm 

ChrisD wrote:
I usually do cross on left, and then from F2L and onward, i keep it on the bottom from there on out.

you can do lots of finger tricks with cross on bottom and cross on left, so i dont think that would effect it. and yes, you can look ahead better with cross on bottom.

many professionals suggest getting in the habit of solving with cross on bottom, because it helps to look ahead and you can keep it on bottom for the rest of the solve when doing F2L, and then OLL and PLL.

Damn, you've caught up with me already lol... Look are your records and then mine! :D Ah! I wish had more time to practice lol. I suppose as soon as I get my college applications over with, I should have alot more free time. Are you still using beginner method? Or have you started Fridrich? And did you get your DIY yet? I got mine about a week or so ago and its freaking awesome!

Cuben00b, I would suggest cross on bottom. You can still use really fast finger tricks, and its easier to look ahead, plus you won't have to switch to the bottom after you finish F2L and start OLL/PLL.

PB Avg: 27.56

Virtual Cubing Awesomeness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:40 pm 

yeah i wouldn't say that one is better than the other for either of those things, you can easily have great lookahead and fingertricks with cross in either spot, and cross on right works also, i think pretty much anything but on top works really well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:42 pm 

i dont know why, but i always have incredibly slow crosses. I solve with it sort of all over the place, and i often solve it somewhere near 8 or 9 seconds. My averages are still like 43 seconds, but i would like to get much faster and i think i really need to work on the cross, any tips? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:27 pm 

Ryan Thompson wrote:
i dont know why, but i always have incredibly slow crosses. I solve with it sort of all over the place, and i often solve it somewhere near 8 or 9 seconds. My averages are still like 43 seconds, but i would like to get much faster and i think i really need to work on the cross, any tips? :(

ryan thompson, you are my other being.

same for me, but my overall times are like 1 min.

but ya, 8 sec for cross that is me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:30 am 

Daniel W wrote:
ChrisD wrote:

Damn, you've caught up with me already lol... Look are your records and then mine! :D Ah! I wish had more time to practice lol. I suppose as soon as I get my college applications over with, I should have alot more free time. Are you still using beginner method? Or have you started Fridrich? And did you get your DIY yet? I got mine about a week or so ago and its freaking awesome!

Cuben00b, I would suggest cross on bottom. You can still use really fast finger tricks, and its easier to look ahead, plus you won't have to switch to the bottom after you finish F2L and start OLL/PLL.

haha, thanks. yeah, i do practice alot

i do cross

i know 20 F2L algorithms, and if i come across a case i dont know i just use the free corner to make it into one i do know

i use 2 algorithms to orient edges

i use 7 algorithms to orient the corners

i use 4 algorithms for PLL

and my DIY came in the mail today but i didnt get it because nobody was here at my house to sign for the package! i was like :o. so i should have it tomorrow =D

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66
3x3 OH PB = 2:51