Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: cross on left or bottom
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: the USA
Cross on left=finger tricks.

Cross on bottom=looking ahead is easier.

which should i start learning?

Also, what about, look ahead with cross on bottom, then transfer to cross on left and perform alg? is that good?

what should i do?

P.S. I want a Master Magic...bad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Tennessee
I usually do cross on left, and then from F2L and onward, i keep it on the bottom from there on out.

you can do lots of finger tricks with cross on bottom and cross on left, so i dont think that would effect it. and yes, you can look ahead better with cross on bottom.

many professionals suggest getting in the habit of solving with cross on bottom, because it helps to look ahead and you can keep it on bottom for the rest of the solve when doing F2L, and then OLL and PLL.

so i would say cross on bottom. because thats what im trying to get used to

_________________
Started cubing on November 4th, 2006

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66
3x3 OH PB = 2:51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:29 am
Location: San Diego, California
funny about cross on bottom is the the last 2 world record holders i believe hold cross on left during F2L. Toby Mao 10.48 and Leyan Lo 11.13

I dont know about Jean Pons or Macky who are the 2 previous world record holders. 11.75 and 12.11 respectively


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:38 pm
Location: Southern California
ChrisD wrote:
I usually do cross on left, and then from F2L and onward, i keep it on the bottom from there on out.

you can do lots of finger tricks with cross on bottom and cross on left, so i dont think that would effect it. and yes, you can look ahead better with cross on bottom.

many professionals suggest getting in the habit of solving with cross on bottom, because it helps to look ahead and you can keep it on bottom for the rest of the solve when doing F2L, and then OLL and PLL.

so i would say cross on bottom. because thats what im trying to get used to


Damn, you've caught up with me already lol... Look are your records and then mine! :D Ah! I wish had more time to practice lol. I suppose as soon as I get my college applications over with, I should have alot more free time. Are you still using beginner method? Or have you started Fridrich? And did you get your DIY yet? I got mine about a week or so ago and its freaking awesome!

Cuben00b, I would suggest cross on bottom. You can still use really fast finger tricks, and its easier to look ahead, plus you won't have to switch to the bottom after you finish F2L and start OLL/PLL.

_________________
Started Speedcubing September 2006
3x3 PB (lucky): 17.34
3x3 PB : 20.75
PB Avg: 27.56

Virtual Cubing Awesomeness


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: California
yeah i wouldn't say that one is better than the other for either of those things, you can easily have great lookahead and fingertricks with cross in either spot, and cross on right works also, i think pretty much anything but on top works really well.

_________________
http://www.bigcubes.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: Boston, MA
i dont know why, but i always have incredibly slow crosses. I solve with it sort of all over the place, and i often solve it somewhere near 8 or 9 seconds. My averages are still like 43 seconds, but i would like to get much faster and i think i really need to work on the cross, any tips? :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: the USA
Ryan Thompson wrote:
i dont know why, but i always have incredibly slow crosses. I solve with it sort of all over the place, and i often solve it somewhere near 8 or 9 seconds. My averages are still like 43 seconds, but i would like to get much faster and i think i really need to work on the cross, any tips? :(


ryan thompson, you are my other being.

same for me, but my overall times are like 1 min.

but ya, 8 sec for cross that is me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Tennessee
Daniel W wrote:
ChrisD wrote:
I usually do cross on left, and then from F2L and onward, i keep it on the bottom from there on out.

you can do lots of finger tricks with cross on bottom and cross on left, so i dont think that would effect it. and yes, you can look ahead better with cross on bottom.

many professionals suggest getting in the habit of solving with cross on bottom, because it helps to look ahead and you can keep it on bottom for the rest of the solve when doing F2L, and then OLL and PLL.

so i would say cross on bottom. because thats what im trying to get used to


Damn, you've caught up with me already lol... Look are your records and then mine! :D Ah! I wish had more time to practice lol. I suppose as soon as I get my college applications over with, I should have alot more free time. Are you still using beginner method? Or have you started Fridrich? And did you get your DIY yet? I got mine about a week or so ago and its freaking awesome!

Cuben00b, I would suggest cross on bottom. You can still use really fast finger tricks, and its easier to look ahead, plus you won't have to switch to the bottom after you finish F2L and start OLL/PLL.



haha, thanks. yeah, i do practice alot

i do cross

i know 20 F2L algorithms, and if i come across a case i dont know i just use the free corner to make it into one i do know

i use 2 algorithms to orient edges

i use 7 algorithms to orient the corners

i use 4 algorithms for PLL

and my DIY came in the mail today but i didnt get it because nobody was here at my house to sign for the package! i was like :o. so i should have it tomorrow =D

_________________
Started cubing on November 4th, 2006

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66
3x3 OH PB = 2:51


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group