Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Video of me
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:30 pm 

Ive been speedcubing for 3 weeks now. And I made a video of myself using the beginner method. I started the video after the 1st layer was already complete because my camera only records 45 seconds x_x. Its my walmart cube with no lube.

Feedback please ^^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mGbvtSI4rR4

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66
3x3 OH PB = 2:51

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:58 pm 

I would suggest you slow down and take your time, it will actually speed you up. you seem to lock up the cube alot, take your time and you should get even faster.

lol, is that dinosaur shirt good luck or something?? lol just some randomness i noticed :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:08 pm 

Try lubing it. It will help a lot. It looks like you were having some trouble with the finger tricks.

@Speedy: Taking Back Sunday is a band.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:46 pm 

I'm by no means a pro, but beyond the lube *which would help with the finger tricks* my recommendation would be to TRY and STAY RELAXED. If you watch a classical pianist's playing, even when they're playing a very complicated section, they're staying as relaxed as possible. That's why you start off SLOW!!!

When you start slow and work up to a certain speed, what you're doing is ingraining the muscle memory to act a certain way. When you stay slow, you maintain a relaxed focus on solving the cube, playing a difficult passage, etc. When you speed up properly, the relaxation stays, but the speed increases. Watch any pro-cuber, and I'm POSITIVE that anyone that has solved it in less than 15 seconds can agree with this - staying relaxed is paramount.

Part of the reason you're not could be the striving for speed, and part could be the cube itself as well. I'd say try and loosen your cube, lube it some and take your time. Practice going slowly as much as you can and gradually increase the speed.

Again, when you align that to playing an instrument: When you play too fast too early, you'll be too tense, the motion won't be natural. You'll make mistakes and mistakes = time missed FIXING mistakes.

Here are 2 examples. One is a complex piano peice. Another is a very fast solve. Compare a couple of things such as breathing, shoulder height/tenseness, wrist stability, etc. It's very very similar. Breathing is WAY more important than you'd think in ANY performance as well, regardless if it's piano, sports, speedcubing, etc.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-w_Aajycppc

Arcadi Volodos - Considered one of the WORLD's best classical piansts. He's playing the 3rd movement of the Rachmaninoff's Second concerto *often looked at as one of the hardest peices for piano besides Rachmaninoff's 3rd concerto - which is equally as startling and difficult. (Check out 5:34 and on. Believe it or not, those octaves sections with both hands are BRUTAL to play if you're not relaxed.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jb2LplptbFY& ... ed&search=

The reason I choose this video is because he's not REALLY moving the cube that fast. In actual fact, it's just effecient with his timing but he really isn't moving like crazy.

What is consistant is that he's very fluid with his motion. Very relaxed... :)

There's a pattern there! lol

PB Time 2x2x2 - 7x7x7: 6.08, 14.76, 1:31.47, 2:18.09, 5:32.28, 7:44.81
PB Average 3x3x3 Average: 19.46 (of 5)
Started speedcubing: Aug 15th, 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:49 am 

Thanks for all the tips, etc.

I actually just got my textured tiles today in the mail, and I have a White DIY cube shipping to me as we speak, and that will be my awesome speedcube. That will basically eliminate the locking up problems.

And I was a little more tense because the cube frustrates me when i know what i wanna do, but the cube wont let me because it keeps locking up. ya know?

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66
3x3 OH PB = 2:51

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:52 pm 

I HATE THAT.

when i sovled round 2 min pre lube...my cube locked up lets see...ever 3 seconds, but with me i would throw it... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:57 pm 

xcool wrote:
@Speedy: Taking Back Sunday is a band.

i didn't notice it was a taking back sunday shirt, sorry my mistake.