Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Magic lube?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: the USA
has anyone ever lubricated a Magic? or master magic or anything like it?

i am assuming not, but i was reading an ebay auction, and someone was auctioning off a black master magic, and it was lubed with silicone, i was like wtf.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: Marske-By-The-Sea, UK
Ummm....you want Magics to have as much grip as possible :|

_________________
List of Speedcubing methods
Speedcubing tutorial

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: the USA
there is an ebay auction out there, selling a black master magic, i can't post the link so you will have to search for it.

it says, "I have built this special magic with original brand new RUBIK'S tiles and strings (lubricated with silicon)."

i dont get it either...


Last edited by cuben00b on Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 pm
Isn't it forbidden to link to active auctions that are not your own?

Silicone lube does not only make plastic slippery, it also protects it. Back when I did it (to avoid confusion: I'm not the seller), my idea was to lube only the strings (and not where the metal part is) so they break less easily. However, I got the feeling it allowed the strings to glide inside the tracks a little and make the puzzle a bit instable, and I've also read nylon (which I think the strings are) is somewhat self-lubricating, plus I got many replacement strings and know how to use them, so I gave up on lubing the strings.

Btw, I've also tried sanding the edges of the tiles so they're all round, but that ended up very bad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:05 am
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Btw, I've also tried sanding the edges of the tiles so they're all round, but that ended up very bad.


Did it end up tearing the strings faster?

_________________
Fridrich
3x3 PB 22.63
3x3 Av 30.57

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: the USA
Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Isn't it forbidden to link to active auctions that are not your own?

Silicone lube does not only make plastic slippery, it also protects it. Back when I did it (to avoid confusion: I'm not the seller), my idea was to lube only the strings (and not where the metal part is) so they break less easily. However, I got the feeling it allowed the strings to glide inside the tracks a little and make the puzzle a bit instable, and I've also read nylon (which I think the strings are) is somewhat self-lubricating, plus I got many replacement strings and know how to use them, so I gave up on lubing the strings.

Btw, I've also tried sanding the edges of the tiles so they're all round, but that ended up very bad.


o well, i just giving the example of the lubing...i didn't mean to break a rule :oops:

Hmmm I have thought of sanding edges, like it would be like sanding the cube and cutting corners...what happened? you said it ended up bad, how so?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 pm
Rounding the edges made it somewhat instable. I quickly got annoyed with it.

cuben00b wrote:
o well, i just giving the example of the lubing...i didn't mean to break a rule :oops:

Well, now you know it. So why keep the violation alive and not edit it away?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: the USA
ok, is that good? or is it still kinda too...jeez...i really dont know the word to use..

well is it wrong? shoudl i take more out? i am quite the n00b for forum rules, i got banned from forums for double posting



:roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group