Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HELP! I THINK I KILLED MY 3x3
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:31 pm 

Alright, so I took my 3x3 apart today to sand down the pieces.

I used Jasa's or w/e website for a guide.

I did the centers, 4 edges and 4 corners, and I have put it back together, I am not even done with sanding, and I relubricated it with Petroleum Jelly, I had wiped it all off before sanding.

I sanded with my Dremel, with a course grade of sandpaper and then a fine grade, and then followed up with real sandpaper, not the one on the Dremel, like acual paper...if u get what I am saying.

And now my cube locks up all the time and is horrible, my time is worse now that it was before...

Wow, this is my life, try to do something good, turns out bad...

:(

help? is there anything i can do?

Post subject: Re: HELP! I THINK I KILLED MY 3x3
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:17 pm 

cuben00b wrote:
Alright, so I took my 3x3 apart today to sand down the pieces.

I used Jasa's or w/e website for a guide.

I did the centers, 4 edges and 4 corners, and I have put it back together, I am not even done with sanding, and I relubricated it with Petroleum Jelly, I had wiped it all off before sanding.

I sanded with my Dremel, with a course grade of sandpaper and then a fine grade, and then followed up with real sandpaper, not the one on the Dremel, like acual paper...if u get what I am saying.

And now my cube locks up all the time and is horrible, my time is worse now that it was before...

Wow, this is my life, try to do something good, turns out bad...

:(

help? is there anything i can do?

Hi cuben00b,

Yes! Get a new cube.
It seems obvious that you sanded too much away. It's pretty well known that a loose cube tends to lock up a lot.
I've posted this before: sanding should only be done if you really know what you're doing, like doing a very little bit at a time.

There should be a file or a sticky or even (gasp!) a database for newcomers on what to do, what not to do.

Get a DIY cube with lube from rubiks.com, get stickers from cubesmith.com, solve the puzzle yourself with no help at least once.
After you get a new cube, break it in for a couple of weeks, wipe it clean and lube it, and not with vaseline. Rubiks silcone lube is all right with their cubes but not with others, like Ideal cubes.

I know what you mean about "try something good..." but wouldnt it help if you knew what you're doing to begin with? I don't mean that to be sarcastic. I take that kind of being bummed out seriously, it's just that doing the wrong thing, even with good intentions, is still doing the wrong thing.

Cheers,

David J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:38 pm 

i know what i am doing.

i can solve the cube on my own. in like 1 min.

vaseline works for me...so...why not...but ya...i got to get a new cube.

hmmm....

these nice?

http://www.omega.url.tw/onlineshop/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:43 pm 

You really don't need 4 threads going.

Silicone spray lasts alot longer than petroleum jelly and is less messy. I started with the jelly but tried silicone spray and never went back.

25th anniversary cubes are awful compared to rubiks.com DIY cubes but probably fine for your speed.

A dude from hongkong is selling DIY cubes that have gotten good reviews, mine are in the mail.
viewtopic.php?t=5117

You say you used Jasa's guide?
Jasa wrote:
Sub 30: You can probably get away with just using a "stock" cube and some lube. Do NOT use a dollar store cube!

Sub 20: To break the 20s barrier, you'll need something more. I think adjusting the center axes tightness on the DIY kit (medium loose) and some heavy lubing should be enough.

He doesn't recommend sanding until you're trying to get sub-17.

Please don't start 4 different threads with such similar topics, it just clogs up the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:25 pm 

Dude I hate to say it but i think Mr. Cube is dead lol... I'd just buy a new one, or if anyone knows some way you can like tighten the mechanism so thnat it stops locking up try that : (

-FireWezul

<b>3x3x3 Best Average: 0:30.9
3x3x3 Best Solve (Unlucky): 0:21.xx
3x3x3 Best Solve (Lucky): 0.20.xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:34 pm 

Ok, now you're just laughing at us.

Remember we said it was frowned upon when you posted inane things in old posts that people have long forgotten about?

Last post: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:43 pm

Your post: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:25 pm

Stop it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:48 pm 

Either he does it to raise his post count or he does it because he searches the older posts and replies not thinking how old the topic is.

Or I guess he could be doing it to annoy the members...not saying he is though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:16 am 

the way i think about posting is this: If your post serves no purpose/ does not inform anyone with interesting, helpful, or pertinant information/ is not asking a legitamite question, then your just wasting your time as well as ours. No one wants a new topic about how to lube a 3x3x3 or which is better eastsheen or rubiks because theres only like 1,000 threads already overly dedicated to those topics. Do a search, but you don't necessarily need to bump the topic just to hear more of the same stuff you just read.