Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: best 2x2 speedcube?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:58 pm 

Mefferts, Eastsheen, or Rubiks?

I would like a 1,2,3 please.

like, wow, that didn't make sense.

like this.

Rubik's
Eastsheen
Mefferts

edit, make that 2x2, 4x4, and 5x5 please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:20 pm 

Mefferts are Eastsheens.....

Omega makes 2x2s and 5x5s with springs from Eastsheens, you may want to check them out.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:29 pm 

Um, mefferts is eastsheen?

So I gues like, eastsheen is asian rubiks cube and mefferts is the US one?

Omega? do they have a website?

well then what is better? Rubiks or mefferts/eastsheen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:37 pm 

Mefferts is not a manufacture or design, it is a company, and firstly a man's last name. Uwe Meffert sells Eastsheen cubes on his site, and is the largest importer and local retailer of said cubes. He markets them as 'mini-proffesor/master' cubes and the 2x2 as the 'junior cube' They are all Eastsheen manufacture.

As for Omega, he sells eastsheen cubes for the lowest price on the net because he buys directly from the maufacturer and charges nominal shipping. His website is: http://www.omega.url.tw/onlineshop/

I highly recommend him, and have done business with him before. The cubes are all great, and shipping was suprisingly short.

Apok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:44 pm 

thanks.

ok...um.

which cube is better?

eastsheen or rubiks? in the fields of 2x2, 4x4, and 5x5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:13 pm 

*sigh

Ok, most people concur that the Eastsheen 2 is better than a rubiks. They turn better and are easier to handle. They can also be modded with springs to make a very nicely turning cube.

As for the 4x4, it depends what you are doing with it. If you are just having fun, and not really pushing the physical limits of the cube, then I would say go Eastsheen. The turning is generally smoother, but if you are speed-cubing, then the tolerances on the ES are a little tight. That is why most use the rubik's version for speedcubing. See this article for a more in depth discussion.

Likewise with the 5x5, it is what you are using it for. The ES is way smoother off the bat/out of the box, but a nicely wored-in rubiks can turn very nicely. The fastest 5x5 cubers use Rubik's design, but they are usually not the typical Winning Moves brand, and it's a bit of a luck thing on finding a good cube (so i'm told, i've only bought the rubiks brand once, and my cube eventually broke. Not just a pop, but the spindle itself broke. I bought an ES, and haven't looked back. My time also decreased from a crappy 12 minutes to 5:30)

Anyway, hope that helps. I would advise getting one of each over a period and seeing which one you prefer.

Apok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:21 pm 

Apok wrote:

As for the 4x4, it depends what you are doing with it. If you are just having fun, and not really pushing the physical limits of the cube, then I would say go Eastsheen. The turning is generally smoother, but if you are speed-cubing, then the tolerances on the ES are a little tight. That is why most use the rubik's version for speedcubing. See this article for a more in depth discussion.

Likewise with the 5x5, it is what you are using it for. The ES is way smoother off the bat/out of the box, but a nicely wored-in rubiks can turn very nicely. The fastest 5x5 cubers use Rubik's design, but they are usually not the typical Winning Moves brand, and it's a bit of a luck thing on finding a good cube (so i'm told, i've only bought the rubiks brand once, and my cube eventually broke. Not just a pop, but the spindle itself broke. I bought an ES, and haven't looked back. My time also decreased from a crappy 12 minutes to 5:30)

Anyway, hope that helps. I would advise getting one of each over a period and seeing which one you prefer.

Apok

From my experiences, ES are a lot better than Rubik's for Speedsolving, I played with a few ES yesterday and was very impressed with them.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:56 pm 

Honestly, Pembo, I would agree, especially for the 5x5. The 4 is a closer race, but the size makes me an Eastsheen man.

Apok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:47 am 

Hi :)

Go rubiks.com 8-) More precisely try to find studio versions. Or for 5x5x5 u can wait for the new modified version soon coming (smoother outer layers out-of-the-box). Eastsheen 4x4x4 are ok-ish but the locking can be painful. The eastsheen 5x5x5 are not so good for speeding IMHO. They lock and pop easily. Then again it takes longer to work in rubiks.com/studio cubes but it's definitely worth it. It's possible to cut corners when going fast, something eastsheen cubes don't allow at all ... Looking at uwr lists almost ALL the fast guys prefer rubiks.com cubes. For me they just have a much better *feel*. When i use eastsheen they feel like a lightweight toy to me. easy ton use when solving slow, yes. Rather painful when going very fast :oops: Another point is that if u go for rubiks.com then u are "competition-safe". In some competition so called non-branded products have been disallowed, including eastsheens :roll:

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:02 am 

The new 4x4 mech is pretty sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:50 pm 

what new mech? Did rubiks.com come out with a new and improved 4x4x4 mech from the old ball-groove system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:59 pm 

Ryan Thompson wrote:
what new mech? Did rubiks.com come out with a new and improved 4x4x4 mech from the old ball-groove system?

ya, i thought it was just the big ball and the pieces went in it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:57 am 

I don't know what the inner mech is, but at the UK Open, David the Seven Towns rep brought a model in, turned really well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:13 am 

Pembo wrote:
I don't know what the inner mech is, but at the UK Open, David the Seven Towns rep brought a model in, turned really well.

It is the same mechanism. They made new molds, making everything more accurate, and also took the opportunity to tweak a few things, in particular the feet of the centre pieces.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:57 pm 

thanks Jaap, even if it is the same mech, it is a lot better, did you try it out at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:43 pm 

yeah, per why don't u tell us about the new mech? do u have pics or can you show us in more detail the differences? i'm not sure if ron/ton are on this forum but they should also tell us about the new 5x5 as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:54 pm 

According to Jaap's post, it is the same mech, but with better casting.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:58 pm 

well i know per has/is getting one, and i want to see it :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:23 pm 

and on the topic of es vs rubiks....

the mini cubes from rubiks are trash. they fall apart easily and don't turn well. i've had better luck with harry potter large 2x2. the es is super easy to turn, but without springs, it doesn't really stay in place well, so the chance for a misalignment unless you set it down very slowly is pretty high.

for big cubes is rubiks hands down. basically es is the easy way out, if you want a smooth cube right now, then go for es. but if you want a durable long lasting cube that is excellent for speedcubing go with rubiks. the es don't lend themselves to speed well because you can't cut corners. you can get some ok times with es, but for world class times (sub 1:30 on revenge or sub 2:30 on prof), i bet there are very few people that use ES. i'm sure it's not 100% there are always a few exceptions. if you are patient and have plenty of lube to donate to the process, rubiks brand will be great for you too.

Post subject: new 5x5x5
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:26 pm 

jaap wrote:
Pembo wrote:

It is the same mechanism. They made new molds, making everything more accurate, and also took the opportunity to tweak a few things, in particular the feet of the centre pieces.

Do you know whaen it'll be marketed?

TIA,

David J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:07 pm 

they will probably be on store shelves in the springtime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:47 pm 

So rubik's has made improved versions of the 4x4x4 and the 5x5x5? are they out yet? Where can i get them (the website maybe?)?

PB Avg: 27.56

Virtual Cubing Awesomeness