Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: what do you guys think?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:59 pm 

so as many people who know me know, i am a huge fan/user of the petrus method. but if one thing about it agitates me, it is fixing bad edges.

in school today, i found out something quite nice. you see, i never used the fridrich method because of the fact that once you build the cross on the first face, you need to be careful not to break it. anyone who uses petrus usually just puts 2 edges in place, puts in the corner/edge pair, and puts in another edge to continue the process.

after making a 2x2x3 block, you get to the annoying part. fixing bad edges. so i found out that instead of taking the time to do that, i just put in the last 2 pairs, and use one of two algs to get my upper layer cross. this saves me time, because i'm not doing the bad edge step.

my question is, what do the rest of you "experienced" cubers think? and when people ask me, what would i say? i kindof do a petrus... but it's also part fridrich. does that make it a fetrus? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:43 pm 

Breaking the cross really isn't a concern in fridrich. that will only happen if you mess up an algorithm, but the F2L algorithms are so simple it never happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:59 pm 

trust me....i am quite capable of breaking the cross....

lol

Post subject: Re: what do you guys think?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:01 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
. anyone who uses petrus usually just puts 2 edges in place, puts in the corner/edge pair, and puts in another edge to continue the process.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. Personally it's fairly rare for me to do that. usually I find a c/e pair make it into a 2x2x1 then 2x2x2.

Anyway on the topic at hand.

If you are not doing bad edges I wouldn't say that you're doing petrus method. It sounds more like beginners fridrich with a broken cross.

If you're starting with half a cross and you're not fixing bad edges ... why not build a full cross and do Fridrich F2L w/ 3LLL? The preserving the cross is not enough of a deterrent

Bad edges starts off being difficult and non-intuitive so practice it and try to do it intelligently. As you do it you will find that you can recognise bad edges alot faster and you can morph a 2 edge fix into a 4 edge fix. Also try using M'UM it flips UF UL UR and DF.

Bad edges can be more productive too if you learn to spot corner edge pairs and preserve them so that you can slide straight from bad edges to finishing F2L. You can even make a 2x2x1 block during bad edges sometimes without spending any extra turns. Occasionally I've even finished F2L and bad edges at the same time.

edit: also the quotes around experienced are quite appropriate for me but still quite disrespectful to those on the forum who actually have experience to share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:34 pm 

Your method sounds like Harwick's extended cross method....
http://www.speedcubing.com/chris/f2l.html

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:02 pm 

yeah, thats kindof what im talking about.

altho i'm still not sure what i'll be using for my speed solving... maybe i'll take harwick's advice and use a combo of the two... altho if i could learn bad edges and solve them faster, that would be nice too :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:13 pm 

All you need to get that step faster is practice. I know, it sucks, but you cant just give up on it. You will get better, ie faster, and before long it won't be a problem. Also make use of the somewhat intuitive 4-edge flip instead of using a two twice. Sure it might take some setup, but you're only moving two slices, and if you have a good cube, you can do the stuff really fast.

Don't give up on Petrus just b/c you cant automatically do one step fast.

Then again, the method isn't fo eveybody.

Apok

Post subject: Re: what do you guys think?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:04 am 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
anyone who uses petrus usually just puts 2 edges in place, puts in the corner/edge pair, and puts in another edge to continue the process.

No, that's not Petrus at all. That's almost Fridrich. I do it that way only if the 2 edges are already in place.

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
after making a 2x2x3 block, you get to the annoying part. fixing bad edges. so i found out that instead of taking the time to do that, i just put in the last 2 pairs, and use one of two algs to get my upper layer cross. this saves me time, because i'm not doing the bad edge step.

But it also wastes many many seconds. Fixing bad edges isn't hard at all, it just takes practice of course. After a while you can instantly see which edges are bad and how to fix them. And that's nice. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:51 pm 

you speak the truth... maybe i'm just lazy...