Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fastest I can get without fingertricks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:33 pm 

Hello.

I have been cubing for about 19 days now, and have been sticking mostly to a beginner layer-by-layer method, as per Jasmine Lee.

I have been solving with the white side up for the F2L, then flipping over for the last layer, but recently have been trying to learn with the white side down.

Anyways, I solve the F2L without fingertricks, but then use fingertricks mostly for the LL.

To get sub-60 seconds with this method, do I need to use fingertricks frequently, or is it assumed that I will be doing a lot of manual twisting?

My average solve is about 1:47 right now, but only if I solve the F2L with white on top and then flip over. If I put white on the bottom, I am much slower, even if I decide to use fingertricks to put in the second layer edges.

How fast can I get without fingertricks? I realize this is probably a personal issue, but if an experienced person can try "twisting-only", using a simple layer-by-layer method, can you tell me how fast you are?

Thanks for any input.

Sorry if this post is similar to some recent ones, but I think this is slightly different in the context.

Thank you for any input.

- joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:27 pm 

I am new to speedcubing as well, as I have been doing it for about 2 months. I use some finger tricks during my solve, but I never really practiced any. My friend showed me things like how to do D and B twists with flick of my left or right ring finger, how you can do R' U R in one motion, and things like that. However, I think that if you just keep practicing until all the moves are natural, you will develop some of your own finger tricks. Maybe later when you're alot faster and you have your method down perfectly, you should focus on finger tricks (that's what I'm planning to do). That's my advice, it might be completely wrong though. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:51 am 

It seems a VERY useful appendage that is great for finger tricks that I'm working on using more is your thumbs...

(R U') is a very good one that's used, same as (F' U')

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:50 am 

Bah, force yourself to solve on the bottom. It'll help you a lot. Also, this is a lot to ask from a newbie, but try to look ahead, especially on the middle layer. If you solve it with white on the bottom it is easier to look ahead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:38 am 

Some of the contestants in the 1982 Rubik's Cube World Championship looked like they weren't using any finger tricks when they were doing their solves and they were able to get sub 30sec times. Plus they were using cubes that weren't their own (non-lubed, non-loose, generic fresh out of the box cubes).

You can check out the video here and judge for yourself
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EexMIiWW9mE

The winner of the championship, Mihn Thai, definitely didnt use finger tricks. There is a close-up slow motion shot of one of his solves and he is gripping the cube the way modern day speedcubers would consider noobish :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:52 am 

You should see the one with Duc Trinh, the Candian champion for the 1982 Worlds. He does an incredibly fast finger trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:08 pm 

Thanks for all of the replies everyone.

Sorry for taking some time to get back. I've been writhing around with tooth pain for a while.

Anyways...

I think Kirby is right that I should keep trying to solve with the cross on the bottom. I kind of let myself get to used to solving it the other way, so of course it feels completely alien to me to solve it otherwise. Over time I should be able to get it a lot speedier, as it will just take practice.

Clarence, I will definitely look at that video. It should be pretty cool to check out.

I guess part of what I was curious about was how much time could be saved by using the fingertricks, versus not using them at all. I'm sure watching that video will give me some idea about that.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

- joe