Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Hi all, another speedcubing newb on the loose...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:38 pm
Location: Southern California
:D
About 2 months ago, after a friend at school re-introduced me to the rubik's cube (I had been able to solve before, but only very slowly using the instructions that come with the cube), I got hooked on speedcubing. I went out and bought a 25th Anniversary Cube, which I was using primarily until today (more on that later).
I use a 3 Look Last Layer (1/2 Fridrich) method, which is basically the white cross, c/e pairs, cross on last layer, orient last layer corners, and then permute edges and corners at same time. I have one extra step, because at this point I can't memorize 50+ OLL algorithms. After I have all my algorithms down pat (I have 17 out of 21 PLL memorized), I want to really work on the F2L, then I'll learn the full OLL. At this point, my fastest time is 47 seconds, and my average is around 65 seconds.
Anyways the main point of this post is that today my main cube broke! I have some other cubes that had been lying around my house, but they all suck. The cube I was using was the 25th anne cube i bought. It was lubed and turned pretty decent. It couldn't cut corners that well, and did feel a bit shaky. My friend had grabbed it from my hand and began turning it. I tried to grab it back, and it popped apart, with one of the centers snapping off lol!
So now I need a new cube. I keep hearing such wonderful things about "DIY cubes". Are these the do-it-yourself cubes that you can buy from rubiks.com? What do you guys recommmend? I want something that doesn't require too much maintenance but that is solid and smooth (I don't want it to break again). My friend's cube is pretty sturdy, quite smooth, and cuts corners very well. I need something like that... :lol:

Any advice appreciated! :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Tennessee
You want a DIY cube because it has adjustable screws so you can adjust the tightness and looseness.

But dont get the DIY with the lube, because Rubik's lube sucks. Use your own silicone stuff, and buy new stickers from http://www.cubesmith.com :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:38 pm
Location: Southern California
So the DIY cube from Rubiks.com is a good bet? Which one should I purchase, as they have like 10 options? I'm looking at the options on this section of their webpage: https://secure.rubiks.com/lvl3/index_lvl3.cfm?lan=eng&lvl1=produc&lvl2=rubbrn&lvl3=diykit
And if their lube sucks, when can I get some decent silicone lube? And yeah, I already know the greatness of cubesmith.com stickers :P. Sorry for so many questions, I don't really know what I'm doing lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Tennessee
Daniel W wrote:
So the DIY cube from Rubiks.com is a good bet? Which one should I purchase, as they have like 10 options? I'm looking at the options on this section of their webpage: https://secure.rubiks.com/lvl3/index_lvl3.cfm?lan=eng&lvl1=produc&lvl2=rubbrn&lvl3=diykit
And if their lube sucks, when can I get some decent silicone lube? And yeah, I already know the greatness of cubesmith.com stickers :P. Sorry for so many questions, I don't really know what I'm doing lol


get this one

https://secure.rubiks.com/lvl3/index_lv ... vl4=cubasy

but dont use the lube they give you..


get a pure silicone based lubricant. you can find them at do it yourself stores, and hardware stores.

ive only been cubing for about 4 days, but ive got all of this information from the rest of this forum community, so im sure they would agree with me :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:38 pm
Location: Southern California
4 days lol, and you already know more than me! Haha, well good luck to you and thanks for the help. I will wait to see what everyone else says however (the more imput the better) :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Tennessee
Daniel W wrote:
4 days lol, and you already know more than me! Haha, well good luck to you and thanks for the help. I will wait to see what everyone else says however (the more imput the better) :D



haha yeah i just get really into things. when i learn something, i find it best to research it as much as possible :). yeah, more input is good.

whats your fastest solve, btw?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:38 pm
Location: Southern California
47 seconds, what about you? I only average about 65 seconds though. I use Fridrich F2L, and then my own version of Fridrich last layer (3 steps instead of 2). Instead of just OLL and then PLL, I orient last layer edges first, then corners, then permute all of them at same time (its like 30 algs instead of 60 or 70). I should be faster, but I've been so busy with school and stuff, I don't have much time (I'm applying to colleges right now to).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Tennessee
Daniel W wrote:
47 seconds, what about you? I only average about 65 seconds though. I use Fridrich F2L, and then my own version of Fridrich last layer (3 steps instead of 2). Instead of just OLL and then PLL, I orient last layer edges first, then corners, then permute all of them at same time (its like 30 algs instead of 60 or 70). I should be faster, but I've been so busy with school and stuff, I don't have much time (I'm applying to colleges right now to).



ahh, thats cool. well my fastest would be 1:45, but im using beginner layer-by-layer, with only like 9 algorithms, and i have a cube straight from wal-mart with no modifications.

_________________
Started cubing on November 4th, 2006

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66
3x3 OH PB = 2:51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:38 pm
Location: Southern California
ChrisD wrote:
Daniel W wrote:
47 seconds, what about you? I only average about 65 seconds though. I use Fridrich F2L, and then my own version of Fridrich last layer (3 steps instead of 2). Instead of just OLL and then PLL, I orient last layer edges first, then corners, then permute all of them at same time (its like 30 algs instead of 60 or 70). I should be faster, but I've been so busy with school and stuff, I don't have much time (I'm applying to colleges right now to).



ahh, thats cool. well my fastest would be 1:45, but im using beginner layer-by-layer, with only like 9 algorithms, and i have a cube straight from wal-mart with no modifications.


1:45 in 4 days!! That's really impressive lol... Keep it up man, you are sure to be very fast.

Can anyone else out there give advice on what I should use to replace my broken cube? I'm loooking for the best possible cube :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Tennessee
i hit 1:24 today. i was freakin' :)

_________________
Started cubing on November 4th, 2006

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66
3x3 OH PB = 2:51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:38 pm
Location: Southern California
Wow man, you're doing awesome! You'll probably pass me up pretty soon, I don't have too much time to practice lately. More importantly, I don't even have a cube! I need to order one soon. :P

I think I'm gonna buy this assembly cube from rubiks.com: https://secure.rubiks.com/lvl3/index_lvl3.cfm?lan=eng&lvl1=produc&lvl2=rubbrn&lvl3=diykit&lvl4=pvckit#. It comes with 2 sets of PVC stickers (are these any good?), which the site says last for "250 million rubs" lol.

Can anyone else confirm this as a good choice for speedcubing? (I looking for someone who can talk from experience).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:25 am
Location: Canada
Well, the PVC ones aren't too bad, but they have a tendancy to tear instead of rub off. Also they're not that bright *dull colors* though they do work.

If you're going to get a little serious about not having to worry about the stickers, my biggest suggestion would be 100% http://www.cubesmith.com - get the tiles. They're 4.99 for one set *for 1 cube, with a spare white because there's a 10th cubie cover with the cubesmith logo if you want it*

I have them on ALL of my cubes, (3x3, 4x4 and 5x5, which includes rubik's and eastsheen) The tiles take a little getting used to because it's a different feel, but once you're used to them, they're AMAZING and solid as heck (no rubbing off, no discoloration, no peeling, my cubes ALL look brand new)

Just my 2c. Ignore those rubik's ones - get a cubesmith. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:38 pm
Location: Southern California
enigmahack wrote:
Well, the PVC ones aren't too bad, but they have a tendancy to tear instead of rub off. Also they're not that bright *dull colors* though they do work.

If you're going to get a little serious about not having to worry about the stickers, my biggest suggestion would be 100% http://www.cubesmith.com - get the tiles. They're 4.99 for one set *for 1 cube, with a spare white because there's a 10th cubie cover with the cubesmith logo if you want it*

I have them on ALL of my cubes, (3x3, 4x4 and 5x5, which includes rubik's and eastsheen) The tiles take a little getting used to because it's a different feel, but once you're used to them, they're AMAZING and solid as heck (no rubbing off, no discoloration, no peeling, my cubes ALL look brand new)

Just my 2c. Ignore those rubik's ones - get a cubesmith. :)


Ok, sweet, I have bought cubesmith stickers before, but just the plain 3x3x3 set (which chips/tears relativly easily), not the tiles. I'll look into that. But about the actual cube, what do you recommend? Is the rubiks.com DIY cube I have in my last post a good choice? Thanks for the help BTW :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Tennessee
enigmahack wrote:
Well, the PVC ones aren't too bad, but they have a tendancy to tear instead of rub off. Also they're not that bright *dull colors* though they do work.

If you're going to get a little serious about not having to worry about the stickers, my biggest suggestion would be 100% http://www.cubesmith.com - get the tiles. They're 4.99 for one set *for 1 cube, with a spare white because there's a 10th cubie cover with the cubesmith logo if you want it*

I have them on ALL of my cubes, (3x3, 4x4 and 5x5, which includes rubik's and eastsheen) The tiles take a little getting used to because it's a different feel, but once you're used to them, they're AMAZING and solid as heck (no rubbing off, no discoloration, no peeling, my cubes ALL look brand new)

Just my 2c. Ignore those rubik's ones - get a cubesmith. :)



exactly. cubesmith all the way :). im still waiting to get mine x_x

_________________
Started cubing on November 4th, 2006

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66
3x3 OH PB = 2:51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:25 am
Location: Canada
Well, I DO have a Rubik's DIY which wasn't TOO bad - it definitely turns better than my other 3x3 cubes... However after looking at some vids from one of the guys on this site, it still turns like... well not so good.

My suggestion to you is find what you think would work. Check out a few different places if you have an opportunity - Order 1 DIY from mefferts.com or rubiks.com, also check out the user FINDER on this site. (viewtopic.php?t=4875)

I've ordered 2 cubes from him (1 black DIY and one white DIY) so we'll see how those turn out. Looking at the vids though (if the quality is consistant), it looks like they'll be speedcubes "out of the box" basically.

Definitely get tiles from Cubesmith however. No question!

Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:55 am
I have 3 DIY cubes. Two of them were from rubik.com. The third I bought from a fellow who posts here by the name RUBIK (checkout the marketplace section of this forum). He sells out of China. In my opinion his DIY cube is the best out of the three I have. Twists great and doesnt pop as much as my other DIY cubes (and I have the tensions set at almost the same level on all three). Check out his posts and you'll see some of the rave reviews he gets about his kits.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:38 pm
Location: Southern California
thanks for the suggestions, it's really been a big help. I'm hoping to order a DIY cube tonight, and some tiles from cubesmith :D . For now, I'm stuck with my crappy other cube that pops every other solve (it spins decently though), and of course ryan heise's cube simulator!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:38 pm
Location: Southern California
Well, I just ordered two Black DIY kits from rubik (the guy who sells kits in the marketplace forum), and he said they should arrive in 2-4 weeks. Man I can't wait! Hopefully they are as good as everyone says they are. I also ordered a set of regular 3x3x3 tiles and some textured 3x3x3 tiles from cubesmith for use on my new cubes =). I guess I could practice my F2L on my crappy cube while I wait hehe :D

_________________
Started Speedcubing September 2006
3x3 PB (lucky): 17.34
3x3 PB : 20.75
PB Avg: 27.56

Virtual Cubing Awesomeness


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group