Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hi all, another speedcubing newb on the loose...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:52 pm 

:D
About 2 months ago, after a friend at school re-introduced me to the rubik's cube (I had been able to solve before, but only very slowly using the instructions that come with the cube), I got hooked on speedcubing. I went out and bought a 25th Anniversary Cube, which I was using primarily until today (more on that later).
I use a 3 Look Last Layer (1/2 Fridrich) method, which is basically the white cross, c/e pairs, cross on last layer, orient last layer corners, and then permute edges and corners at same time. I have one extra step, because at this point I can't memorize 50+ OLL algorithms. After I have all my algorithms down pat (I have 17 out of 21 PLL memorized), I want to really work on the F2L, then I'll learn the full OLL. At this point, my fastest time is 47 seconds, and my average is around 65 seconds.
Anyways the main point of this post is that today my main cube broke! I have some other cubes that had been lying around my house, but they all suck. The cube I was using was the 25th anne cube i bought. It was lubed and turned pretty decent. It couldn't cut corners that well, and did feel a bit shaky. My friend had grabbed it from my hand and began turning it. I tried to grab it back, and it popped apart, with one of the centers snapping off lol!
So now I need a new cube. I keep hearing such wonderful things about "DIY cubes". Are these the do-it-yourself cubes that you can buy from rubiks.com? What do you guys recommmend? I want something that doesn't require too much maintenance but that is solid and smooth (I don't want it to break again). My friend's cube is pretty sturdy, quite smooth, and cuts corners very well. I need something like that... :lol:

Any advice appreciated! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:02 pm 

You want a DIY cube because it has adjustable screws so you can adjust the tightness and looseness.

But dont get the DIY with the lube, because Rubik's lube sucks. Use your own silicone stuff, and buy new stickers from http://www.cubesmith.com :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:29 pm 

So the DIY cube from Rubiks.com is a good bet? Which one should I purchase, as they have like 10 options? I'm looking at the options on this section of their webpage: https://secure.rubiks.com/lvl3/index_lvl3.cfm?lan=eng&lvl1=produc&lvl2=rubbrn&lvl3=diykit
And if their lube sucks, when can I get some decent silicone lube? And yeah, I already know the greatness of cubesmith.com stickers :P. Sorry for so many questions, I don't really know what I'm doing lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:32 pm 

Daniel W wrote:
So the DIY cube from Rubiks.com is a good bet? Which one should I purchase, as they have like 10 options? I'm looking at the options on this section of their webpage: https://secure.rubiks.com/lvl3/index_lvl3.cfm?lan=eng&lvl1=produc&lvl2=rubbrn&lvl3=diykit
And if their lube sucks, when can I get some decent silicone lube? And yeah, I already know the greatness of cubesmith.com stickers :P. Sorry for so many questions, I don't really know what I'm doing lol

get this one

https://secure.rubiks.com/lvl3/index_lv ... vl4=cubasy

but dont use the lube they give you..

get a pure silicone based lubricant. you can find them at do it yourself stores, and hardware stores.

ive only been cubing for about 4 days, but ive got all of this information from the rest of this forum community, so im sure they would agree with me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:45 pm 

4 days lol, and you already know more than me! Haha, well good luck to you and thanks for the help. I will wait to see what everyone else says however (the more imput the better) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:46 pm 

Daniel W wrote:
4 days lol, and you already know more than me! Haha, well good luck to you and thanks for the help. I will wait to see what everyone else says however (the more imput the better) :D

haha yeah i just get really into things. when i learn something, i find it best to research it as much as possible :). yeah, more input is good.

whats your fastest solve, btw?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:04 am 

47 seconds, what about you? I only average about 65 seconds though. I use Fridrich F2L, and then my own version of Fridrich last layer (3 steps instead of 2). Instead of just OLL and then PLL, I orient last layer edges first, then corners, then permute all of them at same time (its like 30 algs instead of 60 or 70). I should be faster, but I've been so busy with school and stuff, I don't have much time (I'm applying to colleges right now to).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:28 am 

Daniel W wrote:
47 seconds, what about you? I only average about 65 seconds though. I use Fridrich F2L, and then my own version of Fridrich last layer (3 steps instead of 2). Instead of just OLL and then PLL, I orient last layer edges first, then corners, then permute all of them at same time (its like 30 algs instead of 60 or 70). I should be faster, but I've been so busy with school and stuff, I don't have much time (I'm applying to colleges right now to).

ahh, thats cool. well my fastest would be 1:45, but im using beginner layer-by-layer, with only like 9 algorithms, and i have a cube straight from wal-mart with no modifications.

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66
3x3 OH PB = 2:51

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:35 am 

ChrisD wrote:
Daniel W wrote:

ahh, thats cool. well my fastest would be 1:45, but im using beginner layer-by-layer, with only like 9 algorithms, and i have a cube straight from wal-mart with no modifications.

1:45 in 4 days!! That's really impressive lol... Keep it up man, you are sure to be very fast.

Can anyone else out there give advice on what I should use to replace my broken cube? I'm loooking for the best possible cube :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:53 pm 

i hit 1:24 today. i was freakin' :)

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:26 pm 

Wow man, you're doing awesome! You'll probably pass me up pretty soon, I don't have too much time to practice lately. More importantly, I don't even have a cube! I need to order one soon. :P

I think I'm gonna buy this assembly cube from rubiks.com: https://secure.rubiks.com/lvl3/index_lvl3.cfm?lan=eng&lvl1=produc&lvl2=rubbrn&lvl3=diykit&lvl4=pvckit#. It comes with 2 sets of PVC stickers (are these any good?), which the site says last for "250 million rubs" lol.

Can anyone else confirm this as a good choice for speedcubing? (I looking for someone who can talk from experience).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:05 pm 

Well, the PVC ones aren't too bad, but they have a tendancy to tear instead of rub off. Also they're not that bright *dull colors* though they do work.

If you're going to get a little serious about not having to worry about the stickers, my biggest suggestion would be 100% http://www.cubesmith.com - get the tiles. They're 4.99 for one set *for 1 cube, with a spare white because there's a 10th cubie cover with the cubesmith logo if you want it*

I have them on ALL of my cubes, (3x3, 4x4 and 5x5, which includes rubik's and eastsheen) The tiles take a little getting used to because it's a different feel, but once you're used to them, they're AMAZING and solid as heck (no rubbing off, no discoloration, no peeling, my cubes ALL look brand new)

Just my 2c. Ignore those rubik's ones - get a cubesmith. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:08 pm 

enigmahack wrote:
Well, the PVC ones aren't too bad, but they have a tendancy to tear instead of rub off. Also they're not that bright *dull colors* though they do work.

If you're going to get a little serious about not having to worry about the stickers, my biggest suggestion would be 100% http://www.cubesmith.com - get the tiles. They're 4.99 for one set *for 1 cube, with a spare white because there's a 10th cubie cover with the cubesmith logo if you want it*

I have them on ALL of my cubes, (3x3, 4x4 and 5x5, which includes rubik's and eastsheen) The tiles take a little getting used to because it's a different feel, but once you're used to them, they're AMAZING and solid as heck (no rubbing off, no discoloration, no peeling, my cubes ALL look brand new)

Ok, sweet, I have bought cubesmith stickers before, but just the plain 3x3x3 set (which chips/tears relativly easily), not the tiles. I'll look into that. But about the actual cube, what do you recommend? Is the rubiks.com DIY cube I have in my last post a good choice? Thanks for the help BTW :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:20 pm 

enigmahack wrote:

exactly. cubesmith all the way :). im still waiting to get mine x_x

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:16 am 

Well, I DO have a Rubik's DIY which wasn't TOO bad - it definitely turns better than my other 3x3 cubes... However after looking at some vids from one of the guys on this site, it still turns like... well not so good.

My suggestion to you is find what you think would work. Check out a few different places if you have an opportunity - Order 1 DIY from mefferts.com or rubiks.com, also check out the user FINDER on this site. (viewtopic.php?t=4875)

I've ordered 2 cubes from him (1 black DIY and one white DIY) so we'll see how those turn out. Looking at the vids though (if the quality is consistant), it looks like they'll be speedcubes "out of the box" basically.

Definitely get tiles from Cubesmith however. No question!

Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:39 pm 

I have 3 DIY cubes. Two of them were from rubik.com. The third I bought from a fellow who posts here by the name RUBIK (checkout the marketplace section of this forum). He sells out of China. In my opinion his DIY cube is the best out of the three I have. Twists great and doesnt pop as much as my other DIY cubes (and I have the tensions set at almost the same level on all three). Check out his posts and you'll see some of the rave reviews he gets about his kits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:49 am 

thanks for the suggestions, it's really been a big help. I'm hoping to order a DIY cube tonight, and some tiles from cubesmith :D . For now, I'm stuck with my crappy other cube that pops every other solve (it spins decently though), and of course ryan heise's cube simulator!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:32 pm 

Well, I just ordered two Black DIY kits from rubik (the guy who sells kits in the marketplace forum), and he said they should arrive in 2-4 weeks. Man I can't wait! Hopefully they are as good as everyone says they are. I also ordered a set of regular 3x3x3 tiles and some textured 3x3x3 tiles from cubesmith for use on my new cubes =). I guess I could practice my F2L on my crappy cube while I wait hehe :D

PB Avg: 27.56

Virtual Cubing Awesomeness