Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Requesting Suggestions:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:27 pm 

I've just uploaded a video of me speedcubing - I was quite lucky - I got a pretty easy solve. It was a lot of F2L work though *I'm still very slow unfortunatly*

I've been doing speedcubing for 4 months now, so I know there's plenty of room for improvement but I think 32 seconds is pretty decent :)

Anyway, let me know what suggestions you have to make myself faster - I don't have the mix that I did, but basically I had a pretty standard F2L, started to do a 3Look LL, but got lucky *didn't need to orient the corners* and had a 3 edge permutation. *I do the Allan a little different than most people I think, but take a look!*

Thanks for watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7J7eDiJaD8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:51 pm 

very nice man. i liked it. im not good enough to give advice though lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:04 am 

Just look ahead way further, even if it seems impossible.So find a piece and as you are doing the alg to place it, try and forget about it and find the next piece instead of focus on the alg you're doing.You will drop MUCH time on your F2L by looking ahead.Otherwise cool vid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:41 am 

It seems to me that you still think during each F2L pair insertion... If you know how to put each F2L pair without thinking too much then you should be able to look ahead.

Nice finger tricks by the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:17 am 

Thanks!

Yeah, I know the F2L is my weakest point... my problem is this:

When I'm doing an insertion, I see the corners almost immediately, but it's the edges I have problems with. Sometimes they're "hidden" in the back face where I tend not to look when looking for the peices... And when I see these FAST vids, most people just seem to go from one corner/edge pair to the next to the next *usually in consecutive order too*

So my question is: Should I be going from 1 set to the next in a particular order or just be grabbing whichever one is easiest to get to?

Meaning, should I do the red/blue corner insert, then the red/green, then green/orange and finally orange/blue? (in the interest of less regrips?)

I've been struggling with that part. I'm slowly learning the algs, but I wanted to know what the mindset was while actually GETTING pairs for the F2L :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:55 pm 

Your turning looks great! It's your look ahead (pausing) that's killing your times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:06 pm 

Basically grab whatever you see. Try to randomize your method and be creative as much as possible.That is the best way to excel quickly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:42 pm 

try having less time betwwen moves. It looked like you had quite a long pause in your F2L. just practise your F2L algs more and they should go much faster. nut don't go too fast or else you wont be able to see pieces for planning ahead.

Individual Times: 14.17, 12.93, (12.89), 13.12, 14.00, 15.59, 16.23, 14.11, 14.03, (17.61), 14.75, 14.89

Post subject: improvement
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:00 pm 

What they said...:)

A few ideas:

Try solving as precisely as possible. Don't try to go fast, just be smooth and accurate. Do something slowly, repeat it while looking for a specific piece, repeat it looking for another piece.

Do F2L sequences on a solved cube and see what else moves and to where it goes.

Alternate "fewest moves" solves with speedsolves.

Decide on a sequence then close your eyes and do it. Do every step in your method that way.

Cheers,

David J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:01 pm 

Yeah, I know it's my pauses that are killing my times - I really need to practice my looking ahead. I guess my biggest thing - should I just grab whichever corner/edge pair I see and insert it or do most of you go from corner to corner *color edge by color edge* so you learn to recognize the particular pair location that you're looking for and just use that per insertion?