Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New to the world of speedcubing.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:53 pm 

Hey everybody. Im new to this forum and also new to the world of Rubik's Cube solving. I had a Rubik's Cube for Christmas 5 years ago, and I could never figure it out so I gave up on it. But I regained interest recently, so I went and bought a new one, and looked up methods.

I learned the beginner method from "Jasmine"'s page yesterday, and I solved the cube yesterday. I had to memorize about 7 algorithms. Today is my 2nd day of this and I can solve the cube at about 4 minutes. I know, i know, its very very slow, but this is my 2nd day, and I only use 6 VAGUE algorithms.

My style is Cross, first layer corners, 2nd layer edges, LL edge orient, LL corner permute, LL corner orient, LL edge permute.

Im typically a fast learner, and I know i can get good once I learn more algorithms. What would be the best method for me to get good fast? I was thinking about learning all of the F2L algorithms from "speedcubing.com" so that I could make that part faster, and then work on LL alg's. Does that sound like a good idea?

...and when it comes to finger tricks. Should I learn these after I know all my algorithms good? Thanks for your help and time.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:12 pm 

4 minutes is lightning for your second day. Congrats on learning the basic algorithms. I recommend getting that method to about 0:45 - 1:00 before you really start trying to learn things like the Fridrich F2L (the f2l algorithms on speedcubing.com). But if you really want to learn the algorithms, Fridrich is a great method. A good Fridrich solver can usualy achieve times around 17 seconds, give or take a couple.

http://www.ws.binghamton.edu/fridrich/system.html

Other great methods are Petrus, and Gilles' method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:14 pm 

Try this:

http://lar5.com/cube/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:29 pm 

Ahh, thanks, yeah Ive checked out most of those websites, and Ill probably stick with a layer-by-layer method like Fridrich.

Go figure, I just solved it again and I wasnt timing myself, and it was probably my fastest run and I got to skip the LL edge permutation. It was probably like 2 and 1/2 minutes. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:45 pm 

just got 2:48 =D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:54 pm 

ChrisD wrote:
Ahh, thanks, yeah Ive checked out most of those websites, and Ill probably stick with a layer-by-layer method like Fridrich.

What was your reason for choosing that?

Just wondering.

Petrus is a layer method too btw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:06 pm 

Athefre wrote:
ChrisD wrote:

What was your reason for choosing that?

Just wondering.

Petrus is a layer method too btw.

I think that the Fridrich method is a good build off of the method im using. I looked at the Lars Petrus method, and it looked good, but im just a layer-by-layer kind of guy lol. i just like this method i guess lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:55 pm 

Well, I just timed myself through 6 runs, and these were my times...

2:48
2:50
3:04
3:07
3:17
3:38

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:53 pm 

Quote:
I think that the Fridrich method is a good build off of the method im using. I looked at the Lars Petrus method, and it looked good, but im just a layer-by-layer kind of guy lol. i just like this method i guess lol

Ah ok. That makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:37 pm 

I like petrus because you don't need very many algs at all. the most advanced method is heise method. I had a very hard time learning the basics and I'm getting a little better with it now. it's not really a great speedsolving method but it is perfect for fewest moves competions. it's fun to use because there are no algs at all.

Individual Times: 14.17, 12.93, (12.89), 13.12, 14.00, 15.59, 16.23, 14.11, 14.03, (17.61), 14.75, 14.89

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:17 am 

I wouldn't worry about changing your method quite yet. Just work on getting your time down with Layer By Layer. You can get decently fast using that method, contrary to popular belief.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:37 pm 

xcool is right,
I got a 39.02 average the other night with it, and I haven't used it for months.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:54 pm 

Pembo wrote:
xcool is right,
I got a 39.02 average the other night with it, and I haven't used it for months.
I use LBL 3/4 look and average 35 with it. (I've never bothered learning 'real' methods.)

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:13 pm 

Well, my cube is sticky, and Im still learning more and more shortcuts everyday just from messing around with the cube. And now Im learning to do OLL then PLL instead orient and permute both corners and edges seperately o_o

and my fingers are slow. lol. i have to use my whole hand to do rotations, and i see people just flicking their fingers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:17 pm 

Your going to need to get a better cube to use finger tricks. I recommend the DIY cubes sold at http://www.rubiks.com

Get the one w/o stickers, then goto http://www.cubesmith.com and order tiles :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:36 pm 

Scott Bedard wrote:
Your going to need to get a better cube to use finger tricks. I recommend the DIY cubes sold at http://www.rubiks.com

Get the one w/o stickers, then goto http://www.cubesmith.com and order tiles :)

ahh thanks. ill check that out.

and i just hit 2 minutes even =D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:45 pm 

Wow, you are improving really quickly! Just keep practising, when you average around 40-50 it's time to learn a better method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:53 pm 

Have you lubed your cube?

Not to criticise, but don't bother learning OLL/PLL, get your average with LBL to around 50 seconds, then I would recommend learning F2L first.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:57 pm 

Johannes Laire wrote:
Wow, you are improving really quickly! Just keep practising, when you average around 40-50 it's time to learn a better method.

Pembo wrote:
Have you lubed your cube?

Not to criticise, but don't bother learning OLL/PLL, get your average with LBL to around 50 seconds, then I would recommend learning F2L first.

i have a regular rubik's cube straight from WalMart with nothing modified at all lmao.

and im not learning the full PLL/ OLL. i just have a few vague algorithms i use. its faster than what i was doing before. and then once i get my times down, i will learn F2L like you said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:00 pm 

If you really want to learn the last layer algorithms first, here are the ones you would need for a 3 look last layer.

All PLL algorithms
OLL algorithms that have all corners oriented
OLL algorithms that have all edges oriented

The key though really is the F2L. If you want to solve fast, you've got to have a fast f2l.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:07 pm 

Scott Bedard wrote:
If you really want to learn the last layer algorithms first, here are the ones you would need for a 3 look last layer.

All PLL algorithms
OLL algorithms that have all corners oriented
OLL algorithms that have all edges oriented

The key though really is the F2L. If you want to solve fast, you've got to have a fast f2l.

yeah i know what you mean.

for my method i use

1 - Cross
2 - FL Corners
3 - SL Edges
4 - OLL (using 4 algorithms)
5 - PLL (using 2 algorithms)

next thing i will learn is F2L, once i get my times faster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:17 pm 

Buy some pure silicone lube from your local DIY store, search the forum for specific brands.
Lubing your cube is VITAL for speedcubing, it will lower your times and also help you avoid injury.

Last edited by Pembo on Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:23 pm 

yes!!!

1:41

(but i had a skip on the last layer >.>)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:23 pm 

Pembo wrote:
Buy some pure silicone lube from your local DIY store, search the forum for specific brands.
Lubing your cube is VITAL for speedcubing, it will lower your times and also help you avoid injury.

ill look into that immediately :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:25 pm 

Also, you asked if you should learn finger tricks after learning algs...
Just learn them with the algorithm...get a feel for the alg and learn to do it as fast as possible.

When you learn F2L, you will also want to think about your cross position, most of us Fridrich users have it on the bottom or Left, it's personal choice.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me, email me or if you have it, add me on MSN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:28 pm 

Pembo wrote:
Also, you asked if you should learn finger tricks after learning algs...
Just learn them with the algorithm...get a feel for the alg and learn to do it as fast as possible.

When you learn F2L, you will also want to think about your cross position, most of us Fridrich users have it on the bottom or Left, it's personal choice.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me, email me or if you have it, add me on MSN.

ahh, thanks for the tip.

yeah i keep the cross on the left, so i can see more cubes, and its faster. i read that somewhere :). oh yeah! Fridrich's site haha. ill add you on msn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:19 am 

lol, all this talk about Fridrich...

Chris, congrats on getting fast so fast, it took me months to get where you are now.

now, about other methods, finger tricks, and lubing..

i would recommend peturs method. i know you have already seen it, but have you analysed it? its mostly and intuitive method, meaning you can apply your own tricks and shortcuts to make it faster. and if you want it to be really fast, get the petrus F2L down, and then do a Fridrich 2 Look Last Layer.

now, for finger tricks... i never used them until i got really serious about speed cubing, which you seem to be lol. i would recomend just learning how to flick the upper layer with one finger. then if the alg that ur using requires R, you can just turn the cube in your hands and give it a quick flick. finger tricks make algs like L' U R U' L U R' (the corner swap alg you probably already know) go really fast. i can get that alg down in 2 seconds, which means thats about 3.5 turns per second :D

as for lubing? it's a must. i took apart my cube and sprayed it down with silicon spray, and then set a new average lol.

i'd also recommend getting cubesmith tiles. i would not recommend the textured ones tho. i have those now, and as soon as your hands get just a little bit sweay the texture feels like ice... i've dropped my cube so many times because of this lol. either that or i'm just a butterfinger...

any more questions, just let me know lol. i want to try to be helpful!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:54 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
lol, all this talk about Fridrich...

Chris, congrats on getting fast so fast, it took me months to get where you are now.

now, about other methods, finger tricks, and lubing..

i would recommend peturs method. i know you have already seen it, but have you analysed it? its mostly and intuitive method, meaning you can apply your own tricks and shortcuts to make it faster. and if you want it to be really fast, get the petrus F2L down, and then do a Fridrich 2 Look Last Layer.

now, for finger tricks... i never used them until i got really serious about speed cubing, which you seem to be lol. i would recomend just learning how to flick the upper layer with one finger. then if the alg that ur using requires R, you can just turn the cube in your hands and give it a quick flick. finger tricks make algs like L' U R U' L U R' (the corner swap alg you probably already know) go really fast. i can get that alg down in 2 seconds, which means thats about 3.5 turns per second :D

as for lubing? it's a must. i took apart my cube and sprayed it down with silicon spray, and then set a new average lol.

i'd also recommend getting cubesmith tiles. i would not recommend the textured ones tho. i have those now, and as soon as your hands get just a little bit sweay the texture feels like ice... i've dropped my cube so many times because of this lol. either that or i'm just a butterfinger...

any more questions, just let me know lol. i want to try to be helpful!!!!!!!!

ahh thanks. yeah, ive been using my sister's cube to mess around with some finger tricks, and i can do a couple.

going to the hardware store to get silicone spray today :).

ill take that into consideration about the textured tiles.

effin' DIY cubes are out of stock at rubiks.com? x_x

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66
3x3 OH PB = 2:51

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:15 pm 

lol, that sucks

and i'm glad to be of service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:37 pm 

get DIY from omega

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:48 am 

What a coincidence, I am in pretty much the EXACT same boat as you, except you have been doing it for one more days than me. I have been doing it since Thursday of last week (8 days as of now), and using 10 alg's I am producing a 2:06.31 average, and a record of 1:39.67 (which wasn't lucky either!) Oh, and I think the DIY cubes from rubiks.com are in stock now because I just bought one along with two standard ones for some friends.

My method goes as follows:
Cross on top
Top Layer corners
Second layer edges
Bottom
Third layer edges

The best part is I am getting 10-20 seconds better a day at my current rate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:41 am 

bedheadben wrote:
What a coincidence, I am in pretty much the EXACT same boat as you, except you have been doing it for one more days than me. I have been doing it since Thursday of last week (8 days as of now), and using 10 alg's I am producing a 2:06.31 average, and a record of 1:39.67 (which wasn't lucky either!) Oh, and I think the DIY cubes from rubiks.com are in stock now because I just bought one along with two standard ones for some friends.

Cross on top
Top Layer corners
Second layer edges
Bottom
Third layer edges

ahhh, i got your instant message, but you logged off the exact same minute that i woke up lol.

I now do:

Cross on left
F2L Pairs (I know 23 cases)
OLL (2 looks)
PLL (2-3 looks)

my fastest is 31 seconds, and my average is 47 seconds =D.

and i have a white DIY now from a guy on here named "Finder", and it has textured tiles. its awesome

3x3 PB = 31.58
3x3 Average = 44.66
3x3 OH PB = 2:51

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:22 pm 

Damn dude! I started speedsolving about 3 years ago. Started out getting times like 1:45 and soon after reduced to 45 seconds, but you progress is crazy fast.

And you've already learned all those F2L? Good job! I decided to learn those through logic instead of algorithms, so I don't have the fastest way of doing every single one, but I think overall it's a good way to learn.

I put down the cube for about a year, but I since I just picked mine up again, I'm trying to find my old PLL OLL papers...but so far no good. My times are about 35s each time and I think my best was 22 seconds..

Anyways, I'm just pointing out that you've learned a LOT in a short amount of time.

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:26 pm 

Kid_With_Teh_moHawk wrote:
I decided to learn those through logic instead of algorithms, so I don't have the fastest way of doing every single one, but I think overall it's a good way to learn.
It's the best way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:40 pm 

Johannes Laire wrote:
I decided to learn those through logic instead of algorithms, so I don't have the fastest way of doing every single one, but I think overall it's a good way to learn.
It's the best way.

Yeah, that's what I was told. I might look over the algorithms though in case there's a few I'm over-complicating (if that's a word).

Right now I'm using the intermediate method off Dan Knights. I would have switched to the expert like a year ago, but his webpage stopped working, so I decided to print off someone's two-step LL, but I don't remember whos. I'm not sure if I should continue with that plan or do something different. I've been out of the loop for a while, so I don't know if there's been any new discoveries as far as improving time.

I also have yet to understand how someone can do the original cross in 7 moves or less. I've never been able to do that consistantly.

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:18 pm 

i do the cross in like 8 seconds, i suck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:33 pm 

it takes me 4 to 7 seconds.

pb 22.19
pb avg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:54 pm 

It's funny how you guys are saying you suck and you do the cross in 8 seconds... It takes me 17 seconds to do the cross! Half of my total time is usually spent forming the first layer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:03 pm 

ChrisD wrote:
bedheadben wrote:

Cross on top
Top Layer corners
Second layer edges
Bottom
Third layer edges

ahhh, i got your instant message, but you logged off the exact same minute that i woke up lol.

I now do:

Cross on left
F2L Pairs (I know 23 cases)
OLL (2 looks)
PLL (2-3 looks)

my fastest is 31 seconds, and my average is 47 seconds =D.

and i have a white DIY now from a guy on here named "Finder", and it has textured tiles. its awesome

shazzle frazzle!

23 cases already! i know like...7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:31 pm 

Yeah, but it takes me 20 seconds to do the first two layers. There's something seriously wrong with that.

pb 22.19
pb avg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:35 pm 

Yeah, but it takes me 20 seconds to do the first two layers. There's something seriously wrong with that.

There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, that is very good. Just keep practicing.

Monday Contest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:42 pm 

well if you count up the total time I've been active with a cube, it'd be about 2 years. (with some empty gaps). I've gotten a 22 second solve before and a sub 40 average. It's just that by now I should have a much better F2L. I'm mostly disappointed in myself for now trying hard enough and putting the cube down for a year.

pb 22.19
pb avg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:35 pm 

Clayne H. wrote:

it takes me like 30, if not a little more, it takes me 20 seconeds for the LL, PLL kills me, especially when it is a case that i dont know so i have to rotate the LL to get it to a case or 2 cases that I can handle, u know what i am saying, ugh, i just need to memorize more plls....