Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Super 5x5x5
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:42 pm 

I can get all but 1 of the centers solved correctly.

How can I re arrange the last center?

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject: Re: Super 5x5x5
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:51 pm 

xcool wrote:

OK, since it's only 1 centre, I'm guessing that it's the innermost centre and that it's rotated by 180 degrees, correct? I think any other pattern would mean that either the cube was stickered wrong, or it was taken apart and reassembled wrong. So... asuming that it IS the centremost piece and that it is indeed a 180 degree rotation, hold it so that it's on the bottom and then treat the puzzle as though it's a 3x3 so that R and r both count as the R slice, and D and d count as down... then do (R- D- R+ D- R- D2 R+ D2)^3 and you're done! Hooray! :D L8r.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:55 pm 

Tim Browne wrote:
xcool wrote:

OK, since it's only 1 centre, I'm guessing that it's the innermost centre and that it's rotated by 180 degrees, correct? I think any other pattern would mean that either the cube was stickered wrong, or it was taken apart and reassembled wrong. So... asuming that it IS the centremost piece and that it is indeed a 180 degree rotation, hold it so that it's on the bottom and then treat the puzzle as though it's a 3x3 so that R and r both count as the R slice, and D and d count as down... then do (R- D- R+ D- R- D2 R+ D2)^3 and you're done! Hooray! :D L8r.

No no. I didn't even assemble the inner '3x3' of the face correctly. Like, I need to re arrange just that center. It never was arranged.

25, Male

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:36 pm 

xcool wrote:
No no. I didn't even assemble the inner '3x3' of the face correctly. Like, I need to re arrange just that center. It never was arranged.

Oh, I see. So it's a completely scambled 3x3 block, then. Well, that's going to be a bit more challenging. If you take a look at my page, it'll have solutions for the centre pieces on everything up to 5x5, easily adaptable for even the maximum sized Olympicube if they ever get released. One thing I didn't go into detail in on my page is how ALL of the centre pieces get affected by the patterns for the last layer (I think I know what page I'll be doing next...). If you take the pattern l+ D+ r- D- l- D+ r+ D- (reduced to the pattern notation 2 R 4 on my site... r = column 2, l = column 4, and the D slice starts it's moving towards the right), it moves the top left centre on the front of the cube to the front left on the bottom, to the top right on the front, to the top left on the front. So, if you do 2 R 4 F- 2 R 4 F+ it'll cycle top left, top right and bottom right centres on the front counter-clockwise. If you do r- D- l+ D+ r+ D- l- D+ (4 L 2) it'll drop the front side top right to the bottom side front right, to the front side top left, to the front side top left. So, if you do 4 L 2 F+ 4 L 2 F- it'll cycle the top left, bottom left and top right pieces on the front clockwise. 2 L 4 and 4 R 2 deal with the bottom corner centre pieces on the front in a similar manner, while 3 L 2, 3 R 4, 3 R 2 and 3 L 4 can be used to deal with the edge centre pieces. Exactly how will be left as an exercise for the reader. If this looks WAY too convoluted and messed up, check out my site and it'll have a better explanation, as well as graphics regarding this alternate notation. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:00 pm 

Hi :-)

(Assuming the unsolved face is the U-centers ...)

Basically u solve all those centers of the "3x3x3" face by using 3-cycles. There is only 2 groups, or orbits if u like, on that 3x3x3 block. The 4 centers next to the middle edges (+-centers) and those 4 ones close to the corners (x-centers). Well, that leaves the middle center (which is attached to the core) which is solved exactly as on the 3x3x3 supercube:

((Rr)' (Ll)' (Uu)2 (Rr) (Ll) (Uu))*2

U can also start by rotating the ENTIRE 3x3x3 block like this if so desired:

(R' L' U2 R L U)*2

The configuration of the +/x centers may be such that u have to do 2 swaps to solve them. In that case first do any 3-cycle involving these centers. Then u are left with a single 3-cycle after that. Yes, just do ANY 3-cycle involving 3 of those centers first ;-)

It is IMPOSSIBLE that u are left with a single swap of +-centers and a single swap on the x-centers. In that case not all the centers of the other faces are solved correctly ;-)

Good luck 8-)

- Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:29 pm 

perfredlund wrote:
Hi :-)

(Assuming the unsolved face is the U-centers ...)

Basically u solve all those centers of the "3x3x3" face by using 3-cycles. There is only 2 groups, or orbits if u like, on that 3x3x3 block. The 4 centers next to the middle edges (+-centers) and those 4 ones close to the corners (x-centers). Well, that leaves the middle center (which is attached to the core) which is solved exactly as on the 3x3x3 supercube:

((Rr)' (Ll)' (Uu)2 (Rr) (Ll) (Uu))*2

U can also start by rotating the ENTIRE 3x3x3 block like this if so desired:

(R' L' U2 R L U)*2

The configuration of the +/x centers may be such that u have to do 2 swaps to solve them. In that case first do any 3-cycle involving these centers. Then u are left with a single 3-cycle after that. Yes, just do ANY 3-cycle involving 3 of those centers first ;-)

It is IMPOSSIBLE that u are left with a single swap of +-centers and a single swap on the x-centers. In that case not all the centers of the other faces are solved correctly ;-)

Good luck 8-)

- Per
Thanks. :D

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:05 pm 

If you need to flip the center 180 degrees, hold that face on the U side, and perform the "T" PLL algorithm twice.