Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The BLD Nightmare Begins
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:15 pm 

Well, I am up to 11 failed BLD attempts, and I have only come close once. Right now I am trying Pouchman's method, does anyone have any advice for a beginner who's trying to get his first solve?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:36 pm 

double check your memorization. after that check it 3 more times. then 10 more times or so. then go slow to solve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:13 am 

Do the full thing including memorization, but with eyes open. Will let you find out easier where you make mistakes. And try edges and corners separately, e.g. solve corners speedstyle and then only edges bldstyle so you can take corners as reference, they should be solved (except the buffer swap) after each step. And cuberoot, maybe tightening the screws can help a bit? Or lube again. Or work on your twisting accuracy :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:16 pm 

I can say with this method it took me 50 tries to get it because i rushed and screwed up corners alot. practice each step a few times with eyes open as stefan said it's easier to see your mistakes that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:14 pm 

i know what you mean. it took me a few days before i finally got my first blindfold solve done, 5 days total from learning to a completed first solve. i use a cycle method that i learned from Macky's site and a fron Tyson Mao, also the same basic method used by Leyan Lo.

a few tips for you.

1. do everything with your eyes open first. that way you know what you are doing wrong.
2. i used paper for the first couple of days to make notes on what i was doing, then crossed out the info that i used, if you do it correct you cross out everything and the cube should be solved.
3. go slow at first, you will not be a world record speeds without first learning the fundamentals.
4. practice, practice, practice. like i said 5 days before i finished my first cube.
5. do just corners or just edges, this will help you learn to memorize and complete a portion of the cube.
6.do just orientation, this will help with locating incorrect pieces.
7. do a computer generated 25 move scramble. this will help you go back and see where you messed up, if you have the scramble. 25 moves is the amount of moves used in competition.

i hope these tips help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:01 am 

I have to say I'm completely opposite of that. I actually had my first BLD solve on my very first attempt! It is after that however that I started to make mistakes. Good tips were posted above though (solving while looking, doing one step only etc..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:40 am 

Another idea I forgot to mention: solve two cubes. Scramble them the same way, then apply a step to one cube, check that you did it right (by comparing to the other cube) then apply the step to the second cube and check you did it right. Repeat until solved.