Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3x3x3 BLD
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:23 pm 

Anyone do 3x3x3 blindfolded?

If so what method and how fast?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:38 pm 

kinda sorta?

Still takes me about 20 min to do the whole thing, but I'm getting better.

I use a muscle memory menmonic device (I touch all the pieces in order) in conjunction with a few simple patterns I can easily visualize. No numbers or anything like that (wouldn't work for higher order cubes though).

As for the actual twists, I don't know any specialized algs (yet).
So I just go around the cycles keeping the first piece constant and pull the next 2 in the cycle to the top layer with a couple of setups, 3cycle, undo the setups. Rinse Repeat till it's done or parity fix.

My only problem is that even though I have the ability to do it, I just don't have the time to practice and get faster.

TBTTyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:40 am 

I used stefan's site at first but then i found it easier to memorize each piece instead of #'s or a story.i do edges - flip bad edges - corners.It's hard to get an average of 12 but i can usually do it in just under 4 minutes if there are no disturbances.Stefan's method is awesome because even if you have to place every piece 1 by 1 the algs only takes 2 seconds to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:13 pm 

yes i blindfold! look on speedcubing.com you will find me there

33 Adam Zamora USA Caltech Winter competition 2006 8:45.60

not the fastest but i have succeeded in competition. my personal best is 4:50 something. i use the 3 cycle method i found on Macky's site also Tyson Mao and Leyan Lo's way of doing it is the same. i learned from an article that Tyson had made last year.

I learned BLD in 2 days but it took me 5 days before i finished a solve. i wanted to learn BLD after i went to Rubiks World last year. all of my friends were doing BLD and i felt left out so when i got home i learned it. it is one of the best things i think i did in my Rubiks cubing hobby/passion. i will be competiting in BLD in the US Nationals. my goal is to make it to the final round for BLD.

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:21 pm 

it took me forever to learn, because i always make this so hard to udnerstand for myself |: ( .It is really fun once you have a good success rate.I only tried twice in a competition but failed both times. It was stupid to compete a week after learning and no practice lol.