Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rubik's Magic
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:41 pm 

Could someone send me a link to a very fast magic method, like bob burton's please, i learned one way but it takes me 7 seconds to do...

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:13 am 

Truthfully, Bob Burton's is not the fastest. It is the fastest for HIM, I have not yet seen anyone (using his technique) come even close to him. I use a different technique that allows me to do everything without letting go of 2 tiles.

This has worked extremely well for me, and when I am up to practice, I can get about 50% of my times below 1 second. I remember at WC2005, Ron, Bob, and a few others were sitting around, and I managed 5 sub 1's in a row!

This is an OLD video of me when I was still starting and stopping illegally. However, you can clearly see how I pick it up and do the sequence. I'll have to make a new video soon with some good sub-1 times!

http://lewislink.com/cuberecord/images/ ... 0Magic.wmv

Enjoy!

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:43 pm 

what is your method, if you dont mind?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:04 am 

If I just told everyone who asked, everyone would be as fast as I am!

:wink:

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:03 am 

touche....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:39 pm 

I use bob burtons method... I might at least.
I have never practised and stopped the time though. He has a video on his page where he is doing it slowly. When you watch that video a couple of times you can copy the moves. The question is just: Is he doing it THAT way wehn he speedsolves to, or is it just some easier solution.
And this I can't answer with the best will in the world cause in all other videos you just here a loud cracking noise and in the next frame of the video you see it solved...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:25 pm 

Nope, the slow version on his site is how he speedsolves it. Bob is a good friend of mine, and we're always trying to beat eachother's records. Lucky, I am in the lead at the moment. :wink:

A fun thing that bob and I did a few times was "team magic solving." To do this, we had one magic, and I took the left hand, and he took the right hand. Together, we solved one magic in 1.35 seconds. We did a team master magic solve too - 3.23 seconds. It is a lot of fun!

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:16 am 

i have sort of picked up burton's method, now just to master it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:28 pm 

I learned te petrus method. it is very simple and requires not to many algs like the fridich method. It's pretty fast but I need some to on it.

Individual Times: 14.17, 12.93, (12.89), 13.12, 14.00, 15.59, 16.23, 14.11, 14.03, (17.61), 14.75, 14.89

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:56 am 

CaptianCrash44 wrote:
I learned te petrus method. it is very simple and requires not to many algs like the fridich method. It's pretty fast but I need some to on it.

Oh wow, they have their own methods for Rubik's Magic as well??? Please show me, I don't know them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:06 am 

I'm interested as well. And what do you mean by illegal stops??

After that, I went into a bit of a decline.
<i>Marvin the Paranoid Android</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:43 pm 

Actually, in my video, I start and stop illegally.

Competition rules state that your fingertips must be flat on the timer to start and stop, and you cannot be touching the puzzle after you stop the timer. Thus, by putting my palms on the timer, then putting my fingers OVER the magic, I instantly (and illegally) diminish my picking-up/putting-down time, which is the crucial (and most difficult) part of the solve.

If you want first hand experience of the application of this, just talk to Stefan. When he had the record at 1.36, there was a WHOLE lot of discrepency as to whether or not he abided by these rules. If you slow his video down, you can see his one finger touching the edge of the magic for about a split second. The puzzle was most obviously completely solved when he stopped the timer....but rules are rules, as much as we all hate them :wink:

Luckily, I changed my ways before WC2005, and ended up getting the offical world record for single solve at 1.14. Believe it or not, in practice the night before, I got five sub-1 solves in a row. I believe they were 0.99, 0.92, 0.94, 0.94, and 0.90. Unfortunately, this wore out my magic pretty quick, and screwed me over in the average of 5 in the finals. I finished with a DNF average :oops:

Anyhow, I hope this helps explaining things

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:45 pm 

Quote:
Oh wow, they have their own methods for Rubik's Magic as well??? Please show me, I don't know them.

Quote:
I'm interested as well.

By the way, I couldn't tell if you knew or not, but Stefan was just being cynical/silly. Neither fridrich or petrus have magic solutions. The post refering to that was obviously put in the wrong thread. Mistakes happen!

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:05 pm 

yes i do the petrus method(3x3x3) and i study that site lol and i know for sure that he does not have a magic solution

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:40 am 

Quinn Lewis wrote:
Competition rules state that your fingertips must be flat on the timer to start and stop

Actually they say "fingers", not "finger tips". I think I usually have the middle of my fingers on the middle of the sensor and that's alright.