Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which cube do you use for speedcubing?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:02 am 

Hello!

I was wondering what kind of cubes you guys use for speedsolving. I've tried to get a hold of different kinds of cubes, but i always end up getting the 25th aniversariy edition rubiks cube. With some silicon lube it's pretty decent, but it seems kind of loosely coupled and jittery.

If someone has better suggestions or cubes in or around Denmark, any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:45 am 

Currently I have an 80s Rubiks, DIY Cube, and a 25th Anniversery cube. Out of those three I think that my most favorite one is the anniversery cube because they do not pop easily and tension on most cubes out of the packaging are fairly spread out.
My DIY cube is probably better but I end up putting too much or too little tension oftenly so I refrain from that cube for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:31 am 

I have a tweaked Studio cube and a standard 90's edition cube, which is actually pretty decent considering the tension can't be adjusted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:35 pm 

someone once told me a great bit of advise. he said (im not quoting him because i dont remember the exact phrase) I like the cubes with rivets, if you get a good cube with all of the sides equal in tention your cube will never fall apart, you never have to tighten or loosen screws. this man was Jin H Kim. a great bit of advise

also i asked Tyson Mao, Leyan Lo, and Macky and they all use normal cubes off of the shelf at the stores. all 3 have once held records or currently hold records.

my opinion is the same, i only use cubes from the store. i go to the store open 5-6 packages and find the best cube there. if none are good i dont buy one, if 2 or 3 are good i buy them all. a good cube isnt hard to come by but a bad cube is hard to get rid of

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:50 am 

Good advice Adam, thanks.

Can i ask one thing tho? What do you mean by "cubes off the shelve at stores". It's hard to find a non-internet store here that actually sells cubes, so i'm not quite sure : )

Thanks expo and aphid too, you've all helped shed some more light on the matter.

On a side note, i had a dream about cubes last night. A world championship was being held at my childhood schools gym, and i was franticly running around asking everyone about their cubes because i knew i was going to wake up soon, haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:22 pm 

off the shelves cubes
Rubiks Cube
25th Anniveresry Rubiks Cube

If you have a Toys R' Us, Target, or Wal-Mart its there. Just ask an employee.

Both of these use Rivets but I have to suggest the 25th cube more because it has arched centers(less popping but possibly more lockups)

As for pricing I have seen these cubes for 6 dollars to 12 dollars(6 at a Target in CA and 12 dollars in a Toys R' Us at Times Square NY)

Tension of cubes are very tricky so if in the case the cube has the box style packaging instaid of the clamshell packaging I suggest taking it out and try and feel the cube if it is ok. My ratio of good to bad cubes is about 3:1 because stores only sell the clamshell packaged cubes here in CA..:(

P.S. dont buy clones...they are just not worth your time....they deserve to be mixed like this http://grrroux.free.fr/me/scr.avi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:07 am 

Haha, nice scrambling alg :d

Allright, thanks expo. I've noticed too that the 25th aniversary ed locks up a bit, but tension seems to be distributed nicely. Due to the style of the packaging some places won't let me open the boxes... gonna try to get a hold of a studio cube, just to see. I think it has a bit softer plastic, might prevent too many lockups? I don't know : )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:27 am 

I've had mixed results with the 25th anno cube. One was so tight that it was hopeless, but I have annother that is a pretty good cube.
They have arched centers, which is important to me, otherwise I pop a lot like with a regular one.

The Studio cube turned Really Well for me, but with flat centers, I pop too much. My best "out of the box cube" is the DIY white cubes with arched centers.

My best cube is a hybrid; I cut the arched centers off the tight cube and used them with Studio centers, screws and white cubies.

One thing that I like from the rubiks.com kits is little tiny washers that go on the screw/spring.

A lot of stuff is about feel; some people, like me, need arched centers, others almost never pop. Some cubes are tight fitting with loose springs, others loose wtih almost no spring at all.

Get a couple Studio cubes (isn't that easier in EU?), or annother with screws in the centers (DIY) from rubiks.com, you can do what I did: carefully cut the rivets of the worst 25 th cube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:17 pm 

Thanks Andrew, I'll look into that...

What do you mean by "arched centers" and the concept of "popping" ? :P Pretty new to all these terms.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:29 pm 

Arched centers refer to the shape of the interior in the center piece connected with the axis with the picture given (From Adam Zamora's Cube Comparisions thread) the left cube shows an "arched" center and the right is a regular flat center. Popping refers to the phonomena when a corner or edge "pops" out of the cube making you run over and get it to save precious seconds.

Hinthint: The studio cubes are flat centers(risk of popping but less lockups) currently cubes that are or were commercialy sold by rubiks that has arched centers are the Rubiks Deluxe Cube, Rubiks Game, and the 25th anniversery cube but theres probably more(only cubing for 2 1/2 months :oops: )

arched centers(less popping but possibly more lockups)

Attachments:
Comparison cube.jpg
Comparison cube.jpg [ 501.92 KiB | Viewed 1952 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:16 pm 

For speedcubing purposes, I use a Studio Cube with arched centers. I used the studio cube cubies and put then on a DIY cube (that is arched). The good thing about studio cubies is that they wear out quickly (so after 2 weeks or so, the sides become really smooth). Since the centers are arched, the worn out studio cubies will not pop out.The DIY allows you to adjust the tension to your liking. With these two combinations, your cube will be pretty awesome.
However like Adam had said, people like Macky use cubes that they find in stores. If you find the right one, it will take you a really long time to wear it in for speedcubing. In the long run, the cube will be practically perfect.
So, to make it short:
If you want a perfect perfect cube, you would have to take the long way, which is finding a store cube and wear it out.
If you just need some perfect (yes, one perfect, not two), combine the pieces of a DIY with those of a studio cube.

Hope that helped~

*same site*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:04 am 

Well Joseph I dont think it takes really long to wear out a store cube... Well Im not quite sure but I think my cube was about there in about 2-3 weeks...Now mine sorta feels like Mike Grimsley's speedcube..

Around 10-20,000 turns?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:18 am 

expo25kr wrote:
Popping refers to the phonomena when a corner or edge "pops" out of the cube making you run over and get it to save precious seconds.

Hah-hah. Makes sense.

Joseph, Thanks for the input. You and andrew shed some good light on how to mix and match to get the "perfect" cube. Just a little thing i'm still confused about:

You say that you "put the studio cube cubies on a DIY cube (that is arched)". Do you mean that the cubies on a DIY cubies are arched aswell? So basicly, strip a DIY cube of everything but the mechanism, replace all the cubies with cubies from a studio cube?

Also, how do worn out arched cubies actually prevent popping?

Thanks alot. Hope you don't mind all the questions :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:12 pm 

expo25kr wrote:
Well Joseph I dont think it takes really long to wear out a store cube... Well Im not quite sure but I think my cube was about there in about 2-3 weeks...Now mine sorta feels like Mike Grimsley's speedcube..

Around 10-20,000 turns?

I think it's probably I don't cube as much nowadays, making my statement not accurate. I sure do hope thatt 2-3 weeks will cut it though :]

Kjeldsen wrote:
Hah-hah. Makes sense.

Joseph, Thanks for the input. You and andrew shed some good light on how to mix and match to get the "perfect" cube. Just a little thing i'm still confused about:

You say that you "put the studio cube cubies on a DIY cube (that is arched)". Do you mean that the cubies on a DIY cubies are arched aswell? So basicly, strip a DIY cube of everything but the mechanism, replace all the cubies with cubies from a studio cube?

Also, how do worn out arched cubies actually prevent popping?

Thanks alot. Hope you don't mind all the questions

Ooops, I did not make myself clear enough. Yes, I meant puting the worn out studio pieces onto the arched DIY mechanism.

As for the second question, I meant to say that the worn out cubies are perfect. Usually when the cubies get worn out, they tend to pop more. However, with the help of the archs, the wornout cubies will NOT pop out.

My bad for the confusion, I was in a rush yesterday because of hw. the joys of high school....

*same site*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:56 pm 

Yeah Joseph I feel the same way ..I dont have alot of time to cube or make some puzzles im thinking of..all that I have to say is that SATs 1 and 2, and being a Junior in hs sucks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:44 pm 

expo25kr wrote:
Yeah Joseph I feel the same way ..I dont have alot of time to cube or make some puzzles im thinking of..all that I have to say is that SATs 1 and 2, and being a Junior in hs sucks...

I know this is somewhat spammage, but my response to your comment:
word xD

*same site*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:10 pm 

i bought a cube off amazon.co.uk, and i got a lucky one,
perfect spring tension from the box, took me about 2 weeks to wear in, 2-3 hours cubing every night

i should be getting a DIY cube soon, so that should be even better than my old one

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:06 pm 

I just took a 25th anniv. cube (with white stickers) out of the package to take with me to the beach today. I can't believe how well it turns and I haven't even lubed it yet!

I think my current speedcube is also a white stickered 25th anniv cube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:00 am 

I've actually heard good things about cubing on the beach. Apparently, minute grains of sand blowing in the wind get inside the mechanism and actually wear down all the rough/high points of the cube. I forget where I read it.....

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:19 am 

Quinn Lewis wrote:
I've actually heard good things about cubing on the beach. Apparently, minute grains of sand blowing in the wind get inside the mechanism and actually wear down all the rough/high points of the cube. I forget where I read it.....

Quinn

I think I posted that. But you're right, the combination of sand and sunlight really works!

BTW: I popped the very nice cube I just took from the package and it has the new centers like the picture posted by Pelly. It's almost an out of the box speedcube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:29 pm 

The primary cube I use right now is a blister packaged 25th Anniversarry cube. The cube took about a week and a half to wear in (only 10 min a day). I have to mention that the lube I use is EXTREMLEY good. It is a small bottle of silicone lubricant, used normally for my airsoft (paintball-type sport) weapons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:54 am 

well my white DIY cube is together but not tightened,
when trying to screw it in, the screwdriver keep slipping and spreading the screw, its so hard to screw in!

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);