Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: If I want to speedsolve I have to memorize many patterns?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:03 pm 

I've seen on the sites telling you how to solve it really fast a bunch of pictures of the different possibilities that the faces can have and different sets of turns listed (I don't know what it is called, like when you say "URUDFL").

Do I have to memorize all of that to be able to solve it fast? Right now I only know that simple method that came with my cube (bottom cross, bottom corners, middle layer edges, top cross, top edges, top corners) and that takes me a long time because my cube is hard to turn.

Also, can someone show me the best site to learn how to speedsolve? I want a site that has very good descriptions and has pictures to go with it. The site Lars Petrus has seems to be pretty easy to do and I didn't see a bunch of face patterns to memorize.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I have been trying to find quicker ways to do that simple method and I can get a cross on all of the faces pretty quickly. Now, how do I get the corners solved quickly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:14 am 

Hey!
the first thing you want to do is lubricate your cube. Use silicone spray, NOT wd40(it eats away the plastic)
Get it for a couple of bucks at walmart.

The system that comes with the cube, though simple, is pretty much standalone. You can't really add much on to it. However, you can solve it in less than a minute or so with that method.

If you want to start speedsolving, it'll probably be a good idea to learn the notation (UDLRFB). Many good sites use it because it's easy to read once you learn it.

I usually point beginners looking to get faster at Jasmines tutorial on the links page at speedcubing.com. the first 2 layers (F2L) are pretty much the same, but the last layer(LL) is a bit different. It has you orient edges, then corners. Then it has you purmute edges, then corners. This flows nicely into the fridrich method.

The next thing I'd say is start learning Corner Edge(CE) pairs. This means putting a corner in the first layer and its adjacent edge in the middle layer in place with one algorithm. Many people say that once you get the idea, you don't remember algorithms anymore, but you see how the pieces move and control them the way you want to.
This will probably improve your time by the most significant amount. Somebody help me out here, I know there are some REALLY good descriptions for F2L out there, but I can't remember where off the top of my head.

You don't have to memorize all those tables to solve fast, with a 4 look LL (as I described above) I can solve in about 30 seconds. With the tables memorized, I can do it in about 25.

Hope I've helped

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:07 pm 

The most documented is Fridrich style, solve the first two layers (F2L), then solve the last layer(LL). http://www.ws.binghamton.edu/fridrich/cube.html

She has her notation with the cross on the top, but switching to the cross on the bottom really helped me get faster. She uses a cross on the bottom or left.
Its counter-intuitive, but when you put the part you have solved on the bottom instead of on the top, you are looking at the part of the cube that is scrambled instead of the part that is solved.

Speedcubing has the notation for top, left, and bottom.

You dont have to learn everything at once, just a couple at a time. You already know at least one move from Fridrich's F2L : the move that puts a middle edge next to the correct corner.

http://www.speedcubing.com/
http://www.speedcubing.com/algorithms.html
http://www.speedcubing.com/moves.html

I posted a thread of known methods.
viewtopic.php?t=3877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:19 pm 

What kind of cube do you have?

The first 25th Anniversary cube I opened was almost unusable, the second one is a pretty good cube...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:45 pm 

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out later and let you know if they helped.

I have a 25th anniversary. I think it said Mattel on the package (just in case that matters). I've seen 2 different kinds of 25th anniversaries. One in a neat round clear can and one in some kind of plastic box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:16 pm 

TBTTyler wrote:
The next thing I'd say is start learning Corner Edge(CE) pairs. This means putting a corner in the first layer and its adjacent edge in the middle layer in place with one algorithm. Many people say that once you get the idea, you don't remember algorithms anymore, but you see how the pieces move and control them the way you want to.

Hello!

Actually, this is where I am stuck. I do not, as of yet, see how to do this although I have been trying for awhile (I am beginning to think that I am rather dense/obtuse about this). Does anyone have a site that shows how this is done either via text or video?

Thanks!!!!!

Respectfully,

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:27 pm 

you can try Macky's site it has java cubes that show you what to do. what i have found is notation is way easier to learn. i think that for the first 2 layers that learning algs is dumb but to do it intutatively is the best way. that way you understand and comprehend what is happening. i learned F2l and my times droped alot. i learned most of them by myself and then the ones i couldnt figure out i researched it and then figured it out. i currently have a 26 second average in comp. 2 years ago with a simple 7 step solution i was barely breaking 1 minute. if you want to solve faster learn F2L, OLL (orientation of last layer) and PLL ( permutation of last layer) all of which you can find at http://www.speedcubing.com

one more thing. i am still learning OLL's it takes a long time. there are 57 OLL's and 21 PLL's, 30 something F2L's and then other little algs that you may use. add them all up and you get over 100 different algs. if you learn one a day it will take you 3 months to learn it all. add that into comprehending it all and recognizing what you are doing and then performing it. like i said it takes a long time. fast solving doesnt come overnight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:49 pm 

I'm confused on how to do the last layer.

I posted a new topic about it....I forgot I had this topic to post in.