Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What else do you speed solve?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:37 pm 

What other puzzles do you guys solve for speed besides the 3x3x3? I'm been able to get the pyraminx in around 40 seconds without learning any algorithms besides the ones I've figured out (a total of 4). Besides that, I've been trying to find another good puzzle to speedsolve. I'm thinking I'll try the Square-1. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:20 pm 

Pyramorphix!

I can get 11.somethings after I warm up a little. Lucky solves are way faster, I once got a 5.6 sec lucky solve believe it or not.

It seems Macky and myself developed almost the exact same method independently, but he's always so busy at tournaments that we never get to race head to head.

I can do Pyraminx in the 20's but that's not too impressive compared to some people.

-mike grimsley

Post subject: Re: What else do you speed solve?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:34 am 

blogan wrote:
I'm thinking I'll try the Square-1.

This is the only one I've attempted to speedsolve apart from the 3x3x3. Despite its reputation, Square-1 is significantly easier to solve than the Cube, and pure physical technique seems to be much less important for speed (I was averaging around 36s for some time, which is 8-10s faster than my Cube average). You will need to use a computer program (e.g., Jaap's or Lars Vandenbergh's) for scrambling, though: it's hard to get a good scramble by hand.

Good luck with it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:52 am 

I like to speedsolve the clock and the magic.
At the time I will own them, I think I'm going to speedsolve the other cubes as well. (2x2x2 - 5x5x5)

Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:01 pm 

im usually approx sub 12 to sub 14 on the pyraminx using my method, let's see what else
2x2
3x3 variations
and some other stuff

*same site*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:07 am 

Hey :-)

Of course i speedsolve the 3x3x3 and 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 cubes. I do have a really old original big 2x2x2 cube that i solve occasionally but not for speed. It turns really bad and has odd colors (for me). Other than these classics i do speedsolve the Missing Link puzzle, Masterball rainbow variety, Megaminx (even it's the horrible 6-color version), snake from straight chain to ball, pyraminx (i only have a tiny version with corners removed, used to be a keychain one). There are some others like Rainbow cube, Puck and so on that i solve but not really for speed :roll:

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:59 pm 

Besides the 3x3x3, the only other puzzles I try to solve for speed are the 4x4x4, the Bandaged Cube and the Skewb.