Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to solve Chimera 2X2+6X6
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:48 pm 

I made a Chimera 2X2+6X6 (link to museum page) tonight using a 6x6 and painter's tape. I can solve the 4x4 AI bandage cube so I wanted to try the next order.

Here are some pictures of my wonderful creation, unfortunately taken after scrambling but you can perceive the craftsmanship even in the scrambled state.

Attachment:
chimera1.jpg
chimera1.jpg [ 59.48 KiB | Viewed 618 times ]

Attachment:
chimera2.jpg
chimera2.jpg [ 68.37 KiB | Viewed 618 times ]

Attachment:
chimera4.jpg
chimera4.jpg [ 64.32 KiB | Viewed 618 times ]

I'm able to solve two of the 3x3x3 blocks without much difficulty using the same techniques as the 4x4 AI bandage cube. It helped, but wasn't absolutely necessary, to reduce [the center pieces to 2x2 blocks and to pair edges], but now I'm stuck on the 3rd 3x3x3 block.

Attachment:
chimera3.jpg
chimera3.jpg [ 82.53 KiB | Viewed 618 times ]

I'm trying to pair the green bar with the other green bar but can't do it without breaking the white block, or going in circles breaking and pairing the white and green bars and blocks. Is this the right approach to this puzzle or should I be trying something else? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: How to solve Chimera 2X2+6X6
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:52 am 

I haven't solved this puzzle, so I'm just guessing, but why don't you try reducing it to a 444AI `first`, then solving the 444AI. That might mean losing some the work you've already done, but it might make your reduction more straightforward.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:07 am 

I've been trying to do reduce to 4x4 AI. You can see I've made progress with some 2x1 blocks and the white/green edge pairs and some fully formed 3x3x3 blocks (which technically are reduced). The problem I'm having with reducing is that the 2x2 blocks of center pieces keep getting sliced up with u, u', 2u or 2u' turns. I can keep a 2x2 block intact on the U face of course, but once they are rotated to the other faces, I have to break them to turn anything. Wow this puzzle is hard.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:09 pm 

Ah, thanks to Puzzlemad's most recent post

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2014/01/parity-is-to-be-understood-not-feared.html

I see SuperAntonioVivaldi has put out the challenge for a parity-free solve of a 6x6x6, one of which could be a version of a solve of this very puzzle. I wonder if a tutorial for the 2x2+6x6 chimera is on the way from him?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:44 pm 

Ok I solved it. Now the title of the thread can match the content of the thread.

First some proof that I solved it and little smiley icon: :D

Attachment:
chimerasolve1.jpg
chimerasolve1.jpg [ 63.07 KiB | Viewed 475 times ]
Attachment:
chimerasolve2.jpg
chimerasolve2.jpg [ 68.08 KiB | Viewed 475 times ]

Ok here are the steps.

1) Solve the 2x2 blocks around each corner just as you would the 444AI. I won't give instructions for that but will once again thank rline for his tutorial which is excellent. No need to do what he calls "Step 5" in that video series. Just solve the four blocks.

2) Pair the remaining edges with the center pieces so that you get to this stage:

Attachment:
chimerasolve6.jpg
chimerasolve6.jpg [ 79.58 KiB | Viewed 475 times ]

3) The image above is a reduced 444AI. Solve it again.

4) You get to this stage:

Attachment:
chimerasolve3.jpg
chimerasolve3.jpg [ 76.62 KiB | Viewed 475 times ]

5) Solve it as a 2x2.

Attachment:
chimerasolve7.jpg
chimerasolve7.jpg [ 74.36 KiB | Viewed 475 times ]

OK the way you do step 2 above, which is the key step, is to pair up the edges like in the diagram. Orient the blocks using whatever method you use to rotate the 3x3 blocks cw or ccw and perform U' to match the blue with the blue. Then rotate the block cw, putting the newly formed pair into the bottom row (of the top half of the puzzle). Put it off to the side with Uu or U'u' (being careful not to rotate a reduced edge into the block because it will get wrecked. so pick Uu or U'u' to make sure you wreck something), then rotate ccw the block that you had to rotate cw and perform U to fix the 444AI stage. Repeat that for the 24 pairs.

Alternate method is to intentionally reduce the 3 edges that belong on a single 3x3x3 block and once you have the three reduced, solve the block using your usual 444AI method. I found the above method easier.

What you don't want to do is reduce it this way, which is what I was attempting to do above:

Attachment:
chimerasolve4.jpg
chimerasolve4.jpg [ 77.09 KiB | Viewed 475 times ]

The "Wrong reduce" image is the result of many years of habit of reducing centers and pairing edges when solving the 6x6x6 and other higher ordered cubes. I'm not surprised that my first efforts were to reduce the Chimera 2x2+6x6 this way, but really you have to do it the other way.

I don't have an 8x8x8 to test it on, but I'm pretty sure this method would work for the next higher ordered chimera (and all other higher ordered chimeras), except you would have to solve the 444AI, then reduce, then solve the 666AI, then reduce, then solve the 888AI.

Much thanks to Mr. Burgo for his tip!

Also I believe I have met SuperAntonioVivaldi's challenge to solve a 6x6x6 without facing parity. I haven't actually tried it on an untaped 6x6x6 but one should be able to use this method.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:46 pm 

I would like to make this puzzle, but not with painters tape. Any recommendations for making larger, permanent stickers for the 3x3x3 blocks?

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:19 pm 

I'm not a sticker expert but I'm glad you asked because was thinking the same thing. You'd probably be able to get them custom cut from one of the sticker shops, and they are likely to get it spot on since the template for the larger stickers is exactly extended from the smaller cubies. The only thing is you'll have a 3x3 surface underneath the sticker, not a nice flat surface unless you do a bit of dirty mod work to glue and fill and sand.