Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to Solve the Master Rex Cube
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:37 pm 

Below is my solving progress with Ben's Master Rex cube, introduced here. I'm really happy with the method I came up with. It only uses simple turns (eg. EPS) and is a fun solve. That's not to say it didn't require some thought! This puzzle really MUST be mass-produced. If I make a walkthrough solve video I will post it here later.

EDIT: Walkthrough Solve Video

Initially I tried solving a face at a time but gave that up quickly and decided on a reduction method. The easiest way seems to be to reduce centers, then reduce petals, then solve the reduced rex cube. So that's what I did. I know that Kevin (puzzlemad) has also been working on this, and if he hasn't yet come up with this method, or something similar, I have no doubt he will. :)

1. Reduce centers. I did this by starting with a center-edge and building up around the center. But I think in future I'll place two opposite center-edges, then make triples and place them.
Attachment:
master rex centers reduced.jpg
master rex centers reduced.jpg [ 149.24 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]

2. Reduce petals.I did this with a slice move setup, then a petal reversal, then undo slice move.
Attachment:
master rex petals reduced.jpg
master rex petals reduced.jpg [ 156.33 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]

3. Place edges
Attachment:
master rex edges placed.jpg
master rex edges placed.jpg [ 143.47 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]

4. Place centers as a parity check
Attachment:
master rex centers placed check parity.jpg
master rex centers placed check parity.jpg [ 156.06 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]

5. Three sides done
Attachment:
master rex three sides done.jpg
master rex three sides done.jpg [ 146.58 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]

6. Solved!
Attachment:
master rex solved.jpg
master rex solved.jpg [ 145 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]

Last edited by rline on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How to Solve the Master Rex Cube
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:26 pm 

Congratulations!
I've tried to solve my V1 that I still own, and I've gotten almost all of the centers paired, but there are only 2 corner centers that need to swap. I'll figure it out eventually.
Again, I'm glad you like the puzzle! :mrgreen:
rline wrote:
This puzzle really MUST be mass-produced.

I think it's certaintly capable of being mass-produced, since it only has 9 piece types. If it does, I hope they make the fillets large enough. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:51 pm 

rline wrote:
Below is my solving progress with Ben's Master Rex cube, [...] I'm really happy with the method I came up with.

You used the same "Deep reduction" strategy I suggested here. The shallower reduction looks like it's more work.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:52 pm 

Ah! The reduction you used is exactly what I was picturing using if I had this puzzle, with the petal flips using slice moves.

Brandon Enright wrote:
rline wrote:
Below is my solving progress with Ben's Master Rex cube, [...] I'm really happy with the method I came up with.

You used the same "Deep reduction" strategy I suggested here. The shallower reduction looks like it's more work.

What does a shallow reduction entail?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:26 am 

Brandon Enright wrote:
rline wrote:

Yeah I didn't think my method was particularly revolutionary, but I did make sure I didn't look at ideas from others before trying to solve it myself. I find puzzles more interesting when I have to work my way through the haze myself.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:32 am 

rline wrote:
Yeah I didn't think my method was particularly revolutionary, but I did make sure I didn't look at ideas from others before trying to solve it myself. I find puzzles more interesting when I have to work my way through the haze myself.

The thing is most corner turning puzzles I've encountered are pretty universal. The Master Rex is unique to be sure but something about corner turning puzzles they all seem to utilize nothing but set up, classic commutators, and edge flips.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:58 am 

rline wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't trying to diminish your solve. I was making a "great minds think alike" comment :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:04 am 

TheCubingKyle wrote:
The thing is most corner turning puzzles I've encountered are pretty universal. The Master Rex is unique to be sure but something about corner turning puzzles they all seem to utilize nothing but set up, classic commutators, and edge flips.

Doesn't this same statement "set up, classic commutators, and edge flips" apply to just about all twisty puzzles? I'm not sure what you mean by "edge flips" though.

I think vertex-turning-cubes (octahedral) twisty puzzles are a bit unusual as twisty puzzles go because most of the pieces come in two orbits and you can mostly treat them as two tetrahedral puzzles rather than one octahedral puzzle.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:10 am 

Congrats on the quick solve! Sounds like it wasn't as big a challenge as you'd hoped, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

rline wrote:
It only uses simple turns (eg. EPS)

This is encouraging me to revisit the Rex Cube and Master Skewb. I have solved both but the method is *ugly* and long. I tend to space out mid sequence and ruin the solve. I have learned a lot about solving since then and can surely find a better solution.

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:31 am 

Brandon Enright wrote:
TheCubingKyle wrote:

Doesn't this same statement "set up, classic commutators, and edge flips" apply to just about all twisty puzzles? I'm not sure what you mean by "edge flips" though.

I think vertex-turning-cubes (octahedral) twisty puzzles are a bit unusual as twisty puzzles go because most of the pieces come in two orbits and you can mostly treat them as two tetrahedral puzzles rather than one octahedral puzzle.

What I mean is I solve the Rex Cube, FTO, Skewb, Mosaic Cube, and Pyraminx with basically the same algorithms and by rline's description I would do the same for the Master Rex Cube. The edge flip in question is CrazyBadCuber's Petal flipping algorithm for the Rex Cube, it works just about everywhere. And where it doesn't, a simple X Y X' Y' seems to do it!

But I will be the first to admit my experiences are narrow, hence why I said all corner turners I've encountered. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:04 am 

themathkid wrote:
Congrats on the quick solve! Sounds like it wasn't as big a challenge as you'd hoped, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I wouldn't say that necessarily. It's an interesting thing the concept of a "challenging puzzle". I mean, I wouldn't call Eitan's star and the geranium "challenging", I'd call them (as Andrea did) "monsters" :lol: The challenge with this one initially is sort of seeing past all the different little pieces. Also, to me at least, the challenge of a puzzle is finding a way to do it without resorting to commutators. So commutators could I'm sure be used on this one, but it's much more fun to find a semi-intuitive way of doing it.

I'm now trying to work on a streamlined method of center reduction, and I think that's part of the challenge as well. I think this is definitely the sort of puzzle which will be a "regular", and I'd recommend anyone who's thinking about getting it to take the plunge. :D

Brandon Enright wrote:
rline wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't trying to diminish your solve. I was making a "great minds think alike" comment :D

No, my bad... I reckon you'd be about the last person to come in and diminish another solve. :) The only reason I've posted it first is because I happen to have had the physical puzzle in my hands first. I would find it extremely interesting if others post different methods, perhaps the shallow reduction you talked about or even a commutator method.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:31 am 

rline wrote:
No, my bad... I reckon you'd be about the last person to come in and diminish another solve. :) The only reason I've posted it first is because I happen to have had the physical puzzle in my hands first. I would find it extremely interesting if others post different methods, perhaps the shallow reduction you talked about or even a commutator method.

Your use of intuition and block-building is great. It gives you so much more flexibility in the types of puzzles you can solve. I can't handle all of the bandaged puzzles you do. For some reason I'm pretty decent at jumbling though.

You'd be great at fewest-moves competition with Gelatinbrain's program since usually the best solutions avoid commutators as much as possible.

Another reduction option for the Master Rex Cube would be to reduce it to a Pyraminx. That is, reduced it to the point where only 4 axes need to be turned and the other 4 remain fixed. The reduced edges don't have any orientation. I don't think this would be the most efficient reduction option available but it does sound like fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:04 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
I am staggered and dismayed at how quickly you did this one! :shock:

I got mine about a day after you and also threw caution to the wind and scrambled it. I spent a day trying to do a face and found that hard and then could go no further. My next thought was reduction to a Rex cube and I have started this about 12 hours after you did.

Now whilst I have had visitors to stay and some very long days to work, I am still trying to reduce my 3rd centre (and finding it very hard to do)! Then I find that you have solved it! :shock: :shock:

Incredible but as I always say, I am a mere amateur at twisty puzzles and really not very bright! :oops: :oops:

I just hope that I'll get it a bit quicker than my Master curvy copter! At least it makes them good value for money!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:00 am 

No worries Kevin, I am of the same sort. I am always the slow one, never remembering algorithms and such. But I am especially pleased with my own skills when I find that I did a solve all intuitively where others for example used algorithms (dayan wheel is a fine example of that).

It isn't the speed, it is the end result and how you got to it that counts!