Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wormhole III (and possibly II) Flipped Inner Edges
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:10 pm 

ETA: I made a short video to demonstrate this issue.

I love the Wormhole cubes and can't get enough of them! In solving my new Wormhole III, I've encountered a case that I have not seen before. It makes me wonder if it is also possible on the Wormhole II. Basically, I have one pair of flipped inner edge pieces, as shown in the left photo (sorry for the focus, I am getting a new camera).
Attachment:
Wormhole-3-Flipped-Inner Issue.png
Wormhole-3-Flipped-Inner Issue.png [ 858.53 KiB | Viewed 484 times ]

On the regular Wormhole puzzle, this would be a simple case of applying one of the inner edge flipping algorithms twice. Oh, but the Wormhole III is devious and the Wormhole edges (the lovely peepholes that expose the whole other puzzle inside) cause bandaging when they are substituted for Mixup Plus edges (as shown by the arrows on the right photo). The net result is that all of the inner edge flipping algorithms fail - at least the ones I know about. I've tried adapting them, but there are only 4 Mixup Plus edges and 8 Wormhole edges, and I just can't find a way to position things to keep the Wormhole edges out of the way.

I've tried everything I can think of and I'm looking for some new ideas to flip or flatten this inner edge. Theoretically, this case was covered in this previous thread, but unfortunately... it did not reveal the solution. I'm particularly curious to know if this can also happen to the Wormhole II - I've never seen it - or if it is the result of a unique quality of the split Mixup Plus layer on the Wormhole III.

Post subject: Re: Wormhole III (and possibly II) Flipped Inner Edges
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:52 pm 

Hello Pete

I love this cube too! Actually I cant remember how to solve that case. I am a little bit scared by this cube and I did not solve it for quite a while.

But I found a quite detailed tutorial on youtube. Unfortunately it is in russian language. But never the less it is not to hard to check out what the guy is doing.

Here is the link. I hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... B7+7+&sm=3

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:30 pm 

doctor twist wrote:
But I found a quite detailed tutorial on youtube. Unfortunately it is in russian language. But never the less it is not to hard to check out what the guy is doing.
Good luck!
Thanks, I'm watching them now. BTW, I think his name is Ivan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:11 am 

Pete the Geek wrote:
doctor twist wrote:
Good luck!
Thanks, I'm watching them now. BTW, I think his name is Ivan.

Did you succeed?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:59 am 

doctor twist wrote:
Did you succeed?
Not yet, but I have hope. Ivan covers this case in video 3. I do have a sense of what he is doing. I was able to reproduce some of his methods on my Wormhole III, but I am still missing details. There is quite a bit of explanation surrounding how to do the setup moves and avoid the Wormhole edge bandaging, but of course I can't follow it in his language. I am going to continue working on it. There is one particular demonstration he does on the 3x3 Mixup Plus that I will try to follow and I belive that will help me fully grasp his technique.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:14 am 

Hi Pete,

Sorry I took so long to get back to you on this.
I made an algo for you, it should be pretty easy to see what's going on and no real need for memorisation:

I will use EE to designate moving both E slices together (in the direction of E),
and u or d to when moving individual slices (in the direction of U or D respectively),
and + or - for 45* twists.

Place 2 small inner edges to be flipped on FR:

u

[(L'U'L) EE- (RU'R') EE+
B2
EE- (R'D'R) EE+ (LD'L')]

u R2 u'

[(L'U'L) EE- (RU'R') EE+
B2
EE- (R'D'R) EE+ (LD'L')]

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)