Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wormhole cube III
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:40 pm 

Dear puzzlers

the Wormhole 3 cube is an amazing puzzle. I can easily solve the 4x4 mixup plus and the wormhole 1 cube, but this beast is (when fully scrambled) a real challenge.
Actually it is just a single step in the solving process which makes big problems.
I could not find a way how to flatten the inner eges. (These kind of bits next to the centers which are sticking out sometimes). I have single bits and paired bits that are sticking out.
Every strategy I tried failed because of bandaging problems.
I didnt find any tutorial for this cube (except one in russian language which I dont understand).

So if you have any idea/strategy please let me know :-)

Happy puzzling!

Post subject: Re: Wormhole cube III
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:24 am 

Hi,

I loved the Wormhole 3.. great puzzle!

It’s been a long time since I solved it, but I will try to help.

Flipped inner edges work a little differently to the Mixup Plus 333 [Yellow or White as U].

Take out an edge and replace it inverted, and/or as needed and make split slice turns to pair up the little 1/2 inner edges, and then exchange with a wormhole centre (to allow doing R2 exchanges on the opposite side). The objective is.. to store a Wormhole edge in a `centre + inner edge` position, build a `centre + inner edge` block, and then replace the wormhole edge with it.

Single flipped edge parity fix.. flip a centre.. like E+ (R U' R' F' U2 F) E-

I just scrambled and solved it, to refresh my memory.

Hope that helps. If not, just include a photo of a troublesome situation :) .

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:51 am 

I just found that I covered the Wormhole 2 & 3 in more detail in these 2 posts here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23746&start=71

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:58 am 

Dear Burgo

thank you very much.
The "single edge flip parity algorithm" made my day :lol:
Actually I found out how to fix the flipped inner edges by myself (took me very long).
But then I ran directly into that single edge flipped parity and whatever I tried it didnt work.
When I saw your algorithm it was like the scales fell from my eyes. I thought god it is so simple why I couldnt see it, hehe.
Anyhow thank you very much I learned a lot from you.

Solving that Wormhole cube is really heaps of fun. That puzzle requires so many different solving strategies. It is really amazing.

Happy puzzling :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:13 pm 

I'm really glad it helped, it's situations like that, where I'm never sure how much help I'll be. After work, getting late at night, I see a question like that, about a puzzle that I solved a year ago, I was really hoping someone else might answer it :lol: . Because for me, the solution exists as an idea in the back of my mind. But at least if I respond, you know that there will be follow up help if you need it.

The single flipped edge fix is hardly an algorithm is it :lol: You're right, sometimes the simple things are right in front of our noses all the time :) The vague notes I kept on solving it were more of a solving order, and right in the middle of it was "Edges only solve > parity check (single flipped edge) Fix: E+ R U' R' F' U2 F E- ". And I saw straight away the joke I had made at myself by putting it in a sequence, but also the trap I'd tripped over too :wink: .

Cheers,
Burgo.