Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Planetary Puzzles difficulty
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:35 pm 

Hello. I actually haven't been on my account on here in about 15 months, even though I remember really wanting it back then... :oops:

But I digress. I really love the planetary puzzles made by Dayan and MF8. I think that they are a great idea, and they just look cool in general. I wanted to buy some for myself, but I'm not sure where to start. :?

I really want advice from the advanced puzzle solvers on what to get, and the level of difficulty they have. I know Mercury tends to be the easiest, and the gas giants are the hardest.

The puzzles I want information on are the following:
3x3 Crazy Pluses
Crazy Megaminxes
Crazy Tetrahedrons
Crazy Pentahedrons
Bermuda Cubes
Bermuda Megaminxes

Also, if possible, please add the standard "Circle" version to the Crazy versions. That would help me a little bit. :)

Thanks so much! :D

Post subject: Re: Planetary Puzzles difficulty
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:56 pm 

I love all these series! I'm a circle puzzle addict. I'm sure Burgo will chime in here, as he is the king of circle puzzles at the moment. You may want to look at some of the solving threads: circle puzzles here, Bermuda Cubes here, and Bermudaminxes here. These are my rankings.

Crazy 3x3x3 Plus:
Circle --> Jupiter --> Uranus --> Neptune --> Saturn --> Mars --> Earth [reduction to RC] --> Mercury --> Earth [reduction to CC] --> Venus

Crazy Megaminxes:
Circle --> Jupiter = Uranus --> Saturn --> Mercury = Venus = Earth --> Neptune = Mars

Crazy Tetrahedrons:
Earth --> Circle --> Venus = Saturn --> Jupiter = Mars --> Mercury --> Neptune --> Pluto [0012] --> Uranus

Crazy Pentahedrons:
It's been so long since I solved these, I can't remember. I do remember Venus being key, though.

Bermuda Cubes:
Mercury --> Venus --> Earth --> Mars --> Neptune --> Uranus --> Jupiter --> Saturn
[Outer planets all solve quite similarly.]

Bermudaminxes:
Currently on my wish list :)

I know it can look like a huge financial investment to get all these puzzles. Thankfully, though, you can use the pieces from two circle puzzles of the same family to build others. See rline's excellent video on this for more information. For example, if you buy a Crazy 3x3x3 Plus Venus and Saturn, you can swap pieces around and make any of the 8 planets [or a Circle Cube]. Basically, just look at the diagrams for each puzzle. Count the 1's and 0's on each. Buy two puzzles with opposite numbers. For example, in our previous example, Venus = four 0's and two 1's, whereas Saturn = four 1's and two 0's. By swapping centers around, you can now build ANY combination of 0's and 1's, and therefore all the planets.

The same will apply for the Megaminxes. There are many possible combinations here. For the Crazy Tetrahedrons, it's a bit more complicated because of the 2-faces. I think the winning combination was Venus and Uranus [see video]. The Crazy Pentahedrons are even easier - just buying Earth can net you all the planets [see first video link].

As for what to start with, definitely do the Crazy 3x3x3 Plus series first. This will teach you the skills needed to tackle the Crazy Megaminxes. Tetrahedrons share some ideas with cubes and megaminxes, so try those next. Lastly, I'd say the Pentahedrons - they're quite unique. The Bermuda Cubes can be mixed in there are any point. I'd say buy two inner planets and one outer planet to start with. If you enjoy them, try the rest. When you feel comfortable with them, move on to the Bermudaminxes.

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

Post subject: Re: Planetary Puzzles difficulty
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:19 am 

I assure you, Seth is more than qualified to answer :) , difficulties have been discussed many times, and I have made a short summary of my opinions with links in the first part of this post:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25893&start=0

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)